The Modern Honolulu
USD 406
USD 364
Sheraton.com
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 438/night.

Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)
  • Restaurant
USD 411
  • Beachfront
4,368 results
All reviewsthe studymorimoto restaurantsunrise pooliron chefday bedpool areawaikiki beachala moana shoppingour honeymoonadult poolamazing hotelmain poolmin walkpool staffred lobsterturn down servicepartial ocean view
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I booked my hotel strictly by the reviews and pictures from the Modern's website and from Tripadvisor's site and I can say the Modern's rooms are EXACTLY as pictured from the Modern's website and Trip advisor's was too! The main reason I picked this hotel is because it was more for adults - we were on our honeymoon and even though the hotel has ammenities for children (and there were a lot of children there) I thought it had more of an adult vibe to it. Also it is a smaller hotel 300-400 rooms where it is more intimate and you don't feel like another number to them which was very important to us.

The hotel has a really posh vibe to it. The ENTIRE hotel staff is very friendly and accomodating, they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. I really loved the fresh smell of pulmeria as you walked into the hotel lobby and the fresh lemonade and cold towel when you check in. They have free newspapers in the morning and they also have a free coffee service in the lobby - we requested ahead of time (at no extra cost) to have a mini fridge, microwave and a coffee maker in our room so they supplied us with a Keurig which was a cool touch.

The pools are salt water which are beautiful. The adult pool was nice but I wish it was a deeper pool - it only goes up to your ankles but when it got hot we went downstairs to the other pool to swim - both pools play jazz type music and it is pretty quiet atmosphere. Food service at the pool and the pool manager were awesome. We went to the spa and got a couple's massage - it was amazing - definately go for it! You are right next door to the Hilton Hawaiian Village - so you can walk two minutes and go to their man made beach, and go to the wonderful shopping centers on the strip. And it is 8 miles from the airport which helps when leaving.

The biggest complaint I saw on every site was the noise level due to construction next door. We were on the 15th floor right near the construction site and didn't hear anything. If we had our windows open we heard the live musicans playing music by the pool which was lovely! The rooms were so cool - very clean and I loved the look to the rooms, very comfortable beds and you felt like you were in someone's bedroom - very cozy atmosphere to it! I loved how the bookcase in the lobby moved to show the hidden bar in the evening. They housekeeping was great by dropping off bottles of water in the evening.

The hotel was a little bit more than I would normally spend but it was our honeymoon and every hotel on that strip that I priced out is that much, if not more. So it was money well spent in my opinion! Go for it!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gina g
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel is just ok... Although its clean modern interior and rooms are fabulous, a closer look reveals a little lacking. The toiletries were bare basic, rooms on the smaller side (and we had a "bigger" room) and the pool is a bit of a letdown - i mean, the adult only pool is ankle deep? Why? did they not notice the Sheraton's infinity pool a few doors down?!? Room service screwed up our order once, so instead of a 30 min wait it was an hour before the whole meal was served. I found the lounge unnecessarily loud- its impossible to have a conversation there, so we left for another venue. It's at the end of the strip, so when we went out at night (read: HEELS) we took a $10 cab to get into the midst of the excitement.
The concierge was excellent however, and even went out of his way to print off yoga schedules nearby for me to review. And MORIMOTOS was AMAZING. Even if you don't do Japanese its a MUST! Breakfast was a perfect fusion, and even picky people in my party sampled my Japanese Traditional Breakfast.
All in all, I'm sure there are better options than the Modern in Waikiki.

Room Tip: High up - even on the 6th floor you can hear the lounge until 3 AM
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Darkly_dreaming1
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The hotel was thoroughly modern and upscale, with attention to detail throughout. We enjoyed the location, as well, since it's walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and the beach. Breakfast at Morimoto was outstanding - try the oatmeal for a surprising and delicious combination of flavors. The room was comfortable and stylish, although room service was a little lacking.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2012

The Modern Honolulu hits the sweet spot with its zen pool and party scene, Michelin-starred restaurant and minimalist rooms. I recommend this hotel for young professionals and couples who want to enjoy a design hotel and great facilities but at a lower price point than true 5-star hotels.

My husband and I travel for pleasure on a monthly basis and have become picky with our hotels. We loved the clean and sleek details of the white-furnishings in the room. The bathroom also had great water pressure and ample towels. The amenities are of average quality but not bad.

The restaurant, Morimoto's, was amazing for the great service and thoughtful dishes. I had never seen a plate of sushi in front of me that I didn't think I could finish. Until I came here. The $40 chef's choice sashimi is more than enough for one person. Overall, the menu has a good mixture of authentic Japanese and fusion dishes. Unlike many other trendy restaurants, the portions are a decent size. We recommend sitting outside so you can watch the sunset over the yacht club. The calamari salad is also divine.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Diplogirl
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Lots of advantages to staying here including good parking options, great location, great pool area and hip rooms. Was surprised by how inexpensive the room was relative to other hotels of the same caliber.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple