“DO NOT STAY HERE!”
Review of Kuhio Banyan Club

Kuhio Banyan Club
Ranked #82 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We booked this through RCI and I am really surprised that this is even listed by them. Really really surprised. Lots of other reviewers mentioned the questionable night life and noise from the bar. I can not comment to that as I refused to stay here. The staff was very friendly and greeted us with orchid leis and that was the last good experience I had there. I was worried about what the rooms would be like from the appearance of the tiny "lobby." I actually cried when we entered our room. It was tiny which I could live with but the filth in that room was not tolerable!!! We took our luggage back to our car and I called VI (our timeshare company). They refunded our points and booked us in a much nicer timeshare (Fairway Villa) with a rooftop pool and sweeping views of Honolulu, Waikiki, and Diamond Head free of charge. We have stayed there many times since. If our room had not been switched it would have ruined our vacation and we would have had to find somewhere else to stay because there is no way I would ever sleep in such a filthy place. I usually don't write reviews, especially bad ones but I want to save anyone from going here expecting a budget but clean motel type experience and get a filthy ghetto dive instead. Spend the money or points to stay somewhere else! This place needs to be torn down!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
18  Thank Sarah112903

Reviewed 13 February 2012

I knew we had gotten a good rate on this accommodation however I would not stay or recommend to anyone to stay there again. It is desperate for renovations! Though the staff was kind, and other guests were friendly it didn't make up for the gross accommodations or the strip club directly below that will keep you us ALL night long! Our bed was duct taped together and came out of the wall. The only reason we stayed for the duration of our booking was only that it was prepaid. I won't be back! Hawaii was amazing and we found lots of nice places that kept us away from our hotel from morning till night!

• Stayed: January 2012
13  Thank Amyandbrett
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Beware of this company!!! we booked 3 rooms at the Kuhio Banyan in Waikiki. When we arrived Agoda had only requested the Hotel book 1 room. We were left during Pro Bowl week to find 2 more rooms for a week!! We have been 2 weeks trying to get our money back for the 2 rooms we paid for and didn't get. Kuhio Banyan --old and located in crime area of Kuhio avenue. Would not recommend this Hotel at all.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Keith H
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The reviews I read had me worried for nothing. A freind is an owner and got my husband and I a great deal on one of the rooms. We are in our 40s & would not recommmend this place for kids due to no pool and location at night. We paid no extra fees like the other review mentioned, not sure if they had another type of rental agreement. This motel/hotel is in the heart of Waikiki close to everything you want to do. I never saw a cockroach & we evaluated for bed bugs and found none. Yes a night club is downstairs, but never heard a thing and we were directly above it. Hookers & homeless...yep saw them on Kuhio Ave. & on the beachwalk by the higher priced hotels. The place was dated but clean and everything worked in the room. No Shampoo/cond. but soap and towels provided daily. Hotel Security was always walking at night and you needed a seperate key for the outside door and your room. Yes it was the old style keys, but it is an old hotel. Beach towels available at the front desk but you had to keep them for the week. Washer & dryer available but always in use. Boogie Boards free to use at the front desk. Snorkel rental around the corner. Every place you want to eat right near your room. We saved a ton of money staying here and basically only slept in our room. We went to the North Shore and spend $300 on a room at Turtle Bay Resort which was really nice with an oceanview.....However, we felt like we needed to hang out in our room or at least at the hotel to get our moneys worth. If you plan to hangout in your room/resort and not explore Oahu then spend the increase money. Otherwise stay at the Kuhio Banyan Club & save your money for activities, food and rental cars. Check out the Tiki Bar at Aston Hotel we really liked it! Aloha

Room Tip: request a corner room I think they are a little bit bigger.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Aboyle3
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed at the Kuhio Banyan in mid January 2012. This place is not nice and we did find cockroaches in the room but no bed bugs as other reviews have mentioned....and we searched thoroughly. The carpet was old and very dirty as were the furnishings. The paint near light switches and doors was discolored from dirt and grime. Housekeeping only comes on Tuesday and they count and re-count every single towel and washcloth with stern warnings that you will pay dearly if one disappears. The nightclub/strip club on the ground floor is so loud some nights that the ineffective air conditioner is not even loud enough to drown out the noise.

We did not even stay for the entire time we had the place reserved. We were out of there before sunrise and did not return until after dark. Waikiki beach was within about 4 blocks so it was easy to get to although crowded as usual. Not much good to say about the Kuhio Banyan. Several other guests that are affiliated with RCI told us that this place was hands down the worst RCI property they have been to....by a long shot.

Other properties are within about 15 feet of his building and contain a multitude of interesting folks, long term renters I think. Each morning we were greeted by 10 or 20 minutes of coughing and hacking from one of the nearby chain smokers who had to clear a substantial amount of gunk from his lungs. The bus route is directly in front of the building and busy 24 hours a day making for lots of noise. Parking is awful if you rent a car and very expensive. The resort will nickel and dime you nearly to death at check in with additional fees and charges.

We will not return to this place ever again and will discourage everyone we know from staying here.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family