“A FANTASTIC experience .. but”

Bob's Hawaii Adventure
Ranked #150 of 347 Tours in Honolulu
Reviewed 6 April 2018

First, allow me to emphasize just how professional and engaged the divers, driver and the captain was on this experience. Seriously these guys were fantastic .. they were always attentive, showed understanding and you felt in very capable hands the whole time. This aspect was important to my wife as she had some very serious apprehensions about doing this .. but being a dutiful husband I badgered her until she agreed :-) .. took a few weeks.

The pre-trip meeting answered any questions we had and explained the workings of the submersible in terms of engaging the motor .. but nothing in regards to steering the vessel which i thought interesting.

We had a big group of approx 20 people so we just all fitted on the small boat. The seas were a little rough so a few people got a little woozy but nothing too bad.

My wife and I were one of the first to try out the scooters and the process to get in them was simple and effective .. no diving underwater to get in them .. this was a relief to my wife. We were in the water almost immediately and already could see fish in the distance. So we were very excited !

Here is where i was a little disappointed .. we had been trained to use foot pedals to engage the motor for the propellor but mine seemed to be a much older model and had the button on the steering column. No big deal i guess except i had an underwater camera with me and hence could not use it while the motor was engaged, which is approx 80% of the time. Consequently i was unable to take many photos .. disappointed.
I now understood why we were not taught the steering of the submersible ..you don't steer it ..there is a diver that holds onto 2 of the vessels the whole time and steers it. This was disappointing as i had no control on where to go.

In summary this was a FANTASTIC experience and again i want to emphasize how good the divers and crew were .. BUT it felt more like an amusement park ride than what the marketing suggests.

Thanks guys

in 11 reviews
"hawaii"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 8 January 2018

After reading the past reviews I had a pretty good idea what to expect. The scooters were great, the staff were great and the day was great. You are given a small chain-mail bag of bread and this brings the fish around in swarms. Well worth the trip

Reviewed 22 November 2017

ABSOLUTELY RUDE Japanese guide onboard (racist?). We booked with Bob's Hawaii Adventure the day before as per personal recommendation. But found out we were going with Island Watersports. Bob's didn't have enough people for a tour. Found out at check in (thank god we were early). They tried to reach us on our cell, but couldn't check our voicemail internationally. I didn't get the email that they said they sent me; only the initial confirmation.

We got onboard and the Japanese guide strolled on and started telling everyone to take off their shoes and put into the storage bin. Reason? If they fly off into the water, we can't get them. Unlikely, but appreciated the gesture, so we complied. Honestly didn't even realize she was staff and wondered why she was bossing people around, because she was just wearing a bikini with a wrap. The boat started moving and the captain gave the welcome and instructions in English, including for us to go get a wetsuit top WHENEVER WE LIKED.

HERE'S THE HIGHLIGHT:

When he finished, I got up to look for a wetsuit in my size without giving much thought to the Japanese translation happening. (My brain was trying to recall which side the captain told us the sizing lable was on.) The Japanese guide stopped in the middle of her translation, turned to me, and RIPPED (and I'm not exaggerating even one bit) the wetsuit out of my hands and off the hanger. She FLUNG the wetsuit on top of the whole rack, all the while raising her voice and telling me in an accusatory tone, "I will get you one later. Sit down." One. I am not a dog. Two. I don't think I'm big enough to block anyone's view of a WHOLE rack of wetsuits. Three. You can ask me politely, and I would’ve happily apologize and go back to my seat. Same result, but she opted for one most telling of her true attitude.

When I sat down, I was so shocked I didn't even say anything. (A little disappointed in myself.) But I noticed another guy who also went up to the rack as me, was still putting on his wetsuit. A few others on the boat already had them on. So, I didn't see why she was only rude to me. I prefer to think it wasn't because of my race, because it sure felt like it. (I confirmed with the captain after if we can get wetsuits at any time and he said yes.)

As promised, she got me the wetsuit after her translation. But, she THREW it onto the bench beside me without a word. FABULOUS start to an excursion my whole family was looking forward to.

IRONICALLY, when the captain spoke again to tell us more, she and the other, younger, Japanese guide, started chitchatting in front of us. It was hard to hear so we asked her, "Sorry, can you stop talking? Because we can't hear."

We had an alright time given the other staff were kind enough. Fairly certain I heard her recommending a 10% tip in her Japanese "bye and hope you had a good time" speech. (I can recognize some Japanese after taking it in high school and having recently visited Japan.) Maybe that's why she only catered to her group and sabotaged the rest. However, we found out later from friends that Bob's Hawaii Adventure lowers you with the scooter into the water in a full (not half) wetsuit, and longer duration on the boat for snorkeling while you wait. With Island Watersports, you hold onto the ladder on the side of the boat, grasp the rim of the helmet and dive in and out of the helmet. Not the best, not the worst (in terms of getting in the water), but could be better. The pictures and video clip were a value though.

TL;DR Bob's Hawaii Adventure sold us off to Island Watersports. Rude Japanese guide onboard ripped wetsuit out of my hand, raised her voice at me and told me to sit down, and threw it beside me after. Ruined an otherwise good experience. Bob's Hawaii Adventure would've been a better alternative (you don't dive into the helmet; they lower you in AFTER you get into the scooter on the boat). If you're afraid of water or of one rude person ruining your experience, PLEASE don't take this tour. There's are alternatives.

1  Thank toreshii
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Very nice crew, and it was very clear waters. Played with a baby octopus! All the suction haha! I thought we'd go down alone and explore, but we were guided by the crew.

1  Thank elohos