“aloha spirit lives” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 85 Hotels in Honolulu
Shawnigan Lake, Canada
“aloha spirit lives”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

This little gem next half a block from the ocean is just brimming with Aloha spirit and retro delight. From the moment I booked through their website and spoke with Debbie I was made to feel welcome. I was joining friends who had booked separately, we arrived during a rainstorm and were greeted by a smiling Colleen who had us quickly in our rooms, thoughtfully across from each other. My room was lovely, think 1960s charm, with 2012 comforts, sheets crisp and clean a cute little stainless kitchette, a wonderful Lanai, lots of wood finishings but with plenty of lighting for those of us with not so good eyes. The pool was always sparkling clean and as most guests were more mature you could count on courteous companions. The frontstaff were always ready to help, the location perfect, restaurants abound, ABC store for groceries across street. I cant say enough good things about this lovely place, no wonder some guests have been coming here over 30 years. When I left I received a beautiful hula from Colleen and a fresh and wonderfully fragrant lei as a gift, its an honor to stay here.

Room Tip: Some rooms have lanais, and its a plus
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank Shawniganlake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
St.Paul Mn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I've stayed here several times over the years and will continue to return simply because you can't beat the price and the location.My chief complaint is that the room I was in (134 I believe) is badly in need of some updating and if not that at least a deep cleaning.When I first entered I wasn't sure I wanted to walk barefoot.The carpeting is beyond cleaning and quite simply needs to be replaced.There are louvered closet doors that are so filled with dust and grime that they border on gross.The wallpaper is horribly outdated and shows it's age.
Aside from the room, the staff and all the guests are incredibly friendly.The hotel provides free wifi which is avail as you sit around the pool..quite nice.All I can really say is that it's time to put some money into this place and spruce it up.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank butchpSt_PaulMn
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Small hotel less than a block from Waikiki Beach. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Room was clean and adequate. Not a lot of frills, but we didn't come to Hawaii to stay in a hotel room. Leaving the key with the desk clerk turned out to be actually good. The staff gets to know you, and you them, plus they know who's there. I have to state that it was the first time in ages that I had seen a TV with a channel dial and knobs, but it worked fine. If we go back, this hotel will certainly higher on list than the mega-hotels like the Hilton or the Hyatt.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Phaidraigh
Denton, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed at Breakers in March, 2011, but I forgot to write a review. It is a two story hotel less than a block from the beach, with a pool in the courtyard area. There is a reception desk at the entrance where you leave your key when you leave the property. We liked this feature because that way they know who's coming and going. I believe it is family-owned and we met many return guests. It is older but well kept. Our room was upstairs and had a nice lanai with 2 chairs and a table, a kitchen with mini frig, toaster, etc. It is quiet, the rooms and grounds are clean, and the staff is very friendly. There are no elevators, so you can just walk right up to your room. There is coffee next to the pool in the morning. There are 2 resident kitties who stay near the reception desk. When we checked out they presented us with beautiful, fresh flower lei's for our return trip home, plus we got a Christmas card from them with a photo of the staff. Some nice, personal touches from a charming little hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Aloha247
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

We almost chose this hotel since we like interesting unconventional places but were leery as we have been burned by the "funky" factor before. We chose instead a more expensive safe bet big box hotel for our Honolulu vacation. I wish now we had chosen The Breakers. I stopped by there today to check it out. Yes, it is old and a bit dated but so much as to be kinda cool again. The attendent was very friendly. It is in a terrific location near our favorite beach area in a park with trees. The rooms were simple but clean. It is a quiet spot yet close to all the Waikiki hubbub. If we visit Waikiki again we will stay here.

• Stayed January 2012