“Nice vacation experience”

Wyndham Long Wharf Resort
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 November 2011

After reading some of the previous reviews, I was a little nervous about our visit to Wyndham Long Wharf; however, our experience was very pleasant. Check in went smoothly, and we received a unit that was just as promised. The staff was friendly and helpful with suggestions about area restaurants when we asked for recommendations. We needed help getting the heat turned up on the programmable thermostat in our unit, and a staff member was at our door within 10 minutes of our call to the front desk. The resort location is great-- within easy walking distance to many great restaurants and shopping, which is especially nice because general parking in the area is limited and can be expensive. We were not in one of the already remodeled units, so the room decor and furniture in our two bedroom unit were not brand new and showed some slight wear consistent with their age, but everything was clean and comfortable. We would definitely stay in the Wyndham Long Wharf any time we visit again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank qct222
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Long Wharf Resort

Reviewed 17 October 2011

I booked a three bedroom suite back in June and prepaid for it. I was NEVER told that it was a time share nor was I told that there was a possiblilty that the room would not be available. I called in Sept to reconfirm my reservation and was told that I was all set.
In Oct, 1 night prior to my checking in, I got a call telling me that the suite wasn't available due to "the owners" having priority. I paid $800 for two nights and was told that I was being moved to a Residence Inn 5+ miles from downtown Newport and to a facility who's rooms were about 1/2 the price I paid. Needless to say I was livid and disappointed that my trip with 3 others was completely ruined after months of planning, I will NEVER recommend this organization to anyone and will try my best to bad mouth them every chance I get.

Room Tip: Don't ever stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
16  Thank chris z
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We rented a condo at this resort from VacationRentals.com. We rented a specific property and dealt with the owner of that property, not with the resort. I assumed the photos we saw on the web site were the photos of the specific condo we were renting. It was described as having a balcony with a view of the harbor. When we arrived we discovered the property was a two-floor townhouse (the website had said nothing about a two-storied condo) and told that the condo we were renting did not belong to the owner from whom I'd rented, but rather condos were assigned by the resort on a first-come, first-served basis (depending on when you rent them, not when you arrive). The two friends who were with me both have bad knees so the stairs were a problem, but because we had arrived so late in the evening and were very tired after a long travel day, we decided to make do. Another disappointment was our "view," which actually was of an alley and a neighboring building with a brick wall. As a result the condo was very dark -- the lights had to be on during the day as well as at night, and the lighting was less than adequate -- no wall switches worked in the living room or bedrooms. The condo was clean and the beds were comfortable, and the location very good, but that's about all I can say that's positive. We had talked for months beforehand about looking forward to sitting on the balcony overlooking the harbor with cocktails in hand -- what a terrible disappointment! Also one morning one of the cleaning personnel walked in unannounced and without knocking.

Room Tip: I would suggest a different hotel in Newport. I'm not sure you could ever be assured of getting...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank EliseF35
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We called 3 days before to confirm our 3 bedroom suite and everything was confirmed and well. When we got there they canceled our room due to over booking and relocated us to a different hotel. They did not call or e-mail us any of this information. They also told us they did not have 3 individual rooms to give us that they were all booked and everyone was checked mind you this was 10 a.m. in the morning so apparently everyone got there before us. The other hotel was about a 15 minute drive away in Middletown RI not even in Newport. The hotel they put us in was a Marriot hotel but what really upset me was the Marriot in Newport neighboring them had available rooms why not put us there versus the Marriot in Middletown in location we did not want to stay (because the Middletown room rates are cheaper). After numerous phone calls bettween Wyndham and Extra Holidays (there booking company because "Wyndham does not do there own booking") They transfered us into the Marriot in Newport, it ruined half my day and was very aggreviating I had to fight, fight, and fight for us to stay in the Newport were we were suppose to stay in the first place.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank frank c
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We had some serious concerns over the reservation process for our stay at the Wyndham Long Wharf in Newport. We were traveling two guests who used wheelchairs (one of which who cannot walk). This was indicated on our reservation and I called three times prior to our arrival to try to get a confirmation that we would be assigned a wheelchair-accessible (ADA) room. Unfortunately when we arrived, none was available. The staff was quite helpful and tried to make it work but in the end, the room was not appropriate and in fact, dangerous for someone with limited mobility. My 21-year old son could not use the bathroom alone as the toilet was too short (and there were no grab bars). I am sure you can understand how this loss of independence is difficult for a 21-year old. In addition, he could not get into either of the two bedrooms due to the size of the doors (or placement of the furniture). He was able to sleep on the pull-out couch. Why is it not possible to reserve an accessible room in advance. Had we known for sure, we would have booked elsewhere. As a result, it was not a good experience for us at what seemed to be a nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family