“Great View & Good Food!”
Review of The Landing

The Landing
Ranked #81 of 245 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 1 September 2017

My husband and I came here for dinner tonight and for the life of me I cannot understand why this restaurant is getting such poor reviews.

Let me just start with WOW.. What a view! We opted to eat indoors because the sun was very hot and we wanted to be cool and comfortable. The indoor seating is surrounded by glass doors so that you can see the water from whatever table you are seated at.

As far as the food.. I mean I'm not going to say it was the best I have ever eaten, BUT it was pretty good.

For starters, we each had a cup of chowder. It was a good chowder, creamy with a hint of bacon flavor but not overpowering, the clams were the star!

I had the Lobster Mac and Cheese. The cheese sauce was very good with a lot of flavor and it had a descent amount of lobster meat in it, I only wish it had more noodles. It seemed to have more cheese sauce than pasta.

My husband had one of their specials, the Crab Stuffed Filet of Sole. He said that he enjoyed the dish. It had good flavors and a large amount of crab stuffing, he just wished the texture of the crab was more coarse instead of so minced.

It was one of the better meals we've had in Newport.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Overall the food is unacceptable, especially for being a seafood restaurant on the water. Our dinner comprised of Steamers that were very sandy (taken off bill), Caprese Salad not traditional, made of assorted grape tomatoes, fresh mozzarella balls over a small bed of greens with some basil and balsamic. New England Clam Chowder which was the highlight of the meal. For entries we had a Hot Lobster Roll which was dry and all claw meat and Grilled Mahi Mahi that was dry and overcooked. Service was okay, nothing special but not bad. The scenery was good and there was live music on the dock side bar which was good for an afternoon drink.. Overall, wouldn't return except for drinks with music, much more to choose from in town.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

We ate here while visiting Newport. It was packed full of people and they had live music performing outside that day. We got a small table inside which was kind of cramped and the noise level was so loud that we had to almost yell to hear each other speak. As far as the customer service: our waitress was friendly, service wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular either. Could've been better, faster and more attentive. I started with the beet salad which was delicious and well presented. The clams casino wasn't bad; unique flavor for sure. I had a cup of clam chowder which was ok. The calamari was very delicious! So I guess I could say my favorite two items were the beet salad and the calamari (so that's what I'd recommend from my experience). The restaurant has nice views of the wharf and all the people hanging out in this area. They have outdoor seating which is dog-friendly so bring your pet with you if you'd like. There is no parking lot next to this establishment so you'll have to park somewhere on the main road and then walk to the end of the wharf to get here.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Best meal so far on trip. It was pricey considering no salad or bread with entre. Outside area very nice. Had scallops which were cooked perfectly.

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Lunch for 3 hungry adults was fair at best. The salmon blt was a good piece of fish on a lack luster bun with barely a taste of bacon. Small glasses of wine , the crab salad sandwich was deep fried and lacked flavor. Service was fare. We won't be back.