“Best in Newport”

Ranked #6 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
nj
“Best in Newport”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

One of the best kept secrets in Newport. Our recent stay was simply the best! The pictures of our room posted on the net did not do it justice. Although it was a third floor room, the large seating area and views of Newport sunset were fantastic. The innkeeper (Jennifer) was over the top and made our stay extraordinary. Her personal touch and caring were second to none (not to mention her chocolate chip cookies and morning breakfasts. Hard to follow eggs florentine and eggs benedict along with an assortment of muffins, patries, fresh juice, and homemade granola! Truely one of those places that you feel sorry when it is time to leave. GREAT...GREAT....GREAT Experience. Thanks Again for making us feel so special.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful; but the Perry room on the third floor has the best views of Newport and...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Guilford, CT
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was our third year staying here and it was wonderful, EXCEPT a family decided to bring their 2 young children who woke up at 530am and made a ruckus rough-housing and wrestling, occasionally crying or whining, waking the whole house. I have kids and I love them... but this B&B is a romantic gem meant for couples who want to relax. There are many great family friendly places in Newport like the Wyndham, Marriott, Best Western or even the Chandler. As a family man myself I would never take my kids to a party house where 20-somethings might come home after the bars and party until the wee hours in the morning. I also wouldn't take them here because it is inappropriate.

With that said the house is still as wonderful as our first stay here three years ago. The beds and pillows are to die for, the jacuzzi fabulous and the artwork through the house is gorgeous. We missed Midge and her Macaroons...fyi she has left to find other opportunities. However the new Innkeeper Jennifer is an absolute doll and a true asset to the property. She is extremely knowledgeable of the area and made us reservations to rent bikes. She often went out of her way to make us feel comfortable as well as making a KILLER Eggs Benedict over a croissant! I've failed at poaching eggs myself and I asked her how she did it and she gladly taught me how while politely referencing "this is how Thomas Keller (French Laundry) prefers to do it". She even made the Macaroons Midge used to make as some other guests missed them, but I encouraged her to make her own take-away and create her own stamp on La Farge Perry. I am certain she will as she clearly knows her stuff and was pleasure to have as the Innkeeper. Changes happen everyday and this is a positive one!

This is certainly a wonderful gem and my wife and I will be back next year. Please, if you are a family...leave this gem romantic for couples and bring your kids under age 9 or 10 to a more family friendly hotel or B&B. Thanks!!

Room Tip: I prefer the second floor Commander Oliver room for the King Bed, but the Jacuzzi tub in the John Pe...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael L
Ct
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My fiancé and I stayed here for two nights at the end of March. We had the Master Suite and it was a great room. Plenty of space, bed was comfortable, large jacuzzi tub and turn down service all made it a great weekend. The new innkeeper said that Midge took an opportunity elsewhere but we didn't feel let down at all by her absence. Jennifer was pleasant and made some wonderful breakfasts. She offered to make a dinner reservation for us and allowed us to bring our bags in earlier than check-in time so we could settle in. We will definitely stay there in the future.

• Stayed March 2012
Kittery, Maine
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed in the John Perry room, the only room on the first floor. Not my first choice, but it was so over the top gorgeous, it didn't really matter where in the house it was. It had a really high canopy bed and humungous bathroom with a 2 person jacuzzi tub. The common rooms are absolutely gorgeous. We didn't have Midge (not sure where she was) but the people who were there were very nice and accommodating. No eggs benedict or macaroons like the other reviews on here, maybe only Midge makes those? It didn't really matter though, breakfast was delicious and wonderful, and we DID have chocolate cookies and tea, so no complaints here. Winter seems like a good time to stay here as I don't think I could afford it in the summer.

Room Tip: Ask to be upstairs.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Sandy Hook
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This was our second visit to La Farge Perry and will return again. The inn is cozy and tastefully decorated. You can find a quite area to read and relax. The location is central to downtown Newport and we were able to walk to the waterfront and many fine restaurants. Midge, the inkeeper is very accomodating and cooks breakfast to order. She also provides tips on the local scene. She also has a dog who adds charm to the B&B.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. As such, check them out on the website.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple