“Enjoyed this one”

and up
Private Day Trip From Boston to the Newport Mansions
Ranked #13 of 120 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: Commissioned by Nevada silver heiress Theresa Fair Oelrichs in 1899, architect Stanford White modeled Rosecliff after the Grand Trianon, the garden retreat of French kings at Versailles. After the house was completed in 1902, at a reported cost of $2.5 million, Mrs. Oelrichs hosted fabulous entertainments here, including a fairy tale dinner and a party featuring famed magician Harry Houdini.
Reviewed 20 August 2011

The ballroom in this house is like no other. The ceilings are beautiful. Full of the most amazing clouds. The staircase is by far the best staircase to showcase a debutante. Tessie (the woman who built the house) sure knew how to keep up with Vanderbilts her neighbors. With that ballroom the parties must have been grand. The outside of this mansion so breath taking. It is polished and formal. The all white color of the mansion on the outside adds to the elegance. Enjoy the ballroom and the staircase those are the 2 things that make this mansion unique.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

I have been to Newport over 50 times and have toured just about all the mansions. I took my mom this time and told her that Rosecliff had added an audio tour and I wanted to try it out since I have had very good luck with them in Europe. I was disappointed with this one as the device did not seem able to pick up where you were to play the next segment and when I tried to go back to the last segment hoping it would advance to the correct one it did not work. The sound quality and effects of the segments I was able to access were very good. I guess I am a bit old fashioned and like the guided tours of the mansions better. Mom uses a cane but was able to navigate the house just fine and there were plenty of places to sit along the way. The advantage of the audio tour is that you can go at your own pace but having taken the guided tours of these places I think you lose out on the personal touches the guide brings to the tour as well as being able to ask questions. I hope the others do not go this route and switch to recordings.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Great tour and beautiful grounds. Really makes you think about the grandeur of those times! Tour a few house, a great way to spend the afternoon, but Rosecliff is a must!

Reviewed 18 July 2011

We started our mansion tour in Newport with Rosecliff and this ended up to be a great idea. Rosecliff has a current wedding dress exhibition going on (thru Nov.) which was lovely, although the placement of the dresses was odd throughout the house and detracted from the interiors of the rooms. But a nice idea...I love costume galleries!

The view from Rosecliff was amazing, the grounds were a bit of a disappointment---a few scraggly roses here and there and a pretty lawn (especially from someone who has seen grounds from Versailles to more stateside at the Vanderbilt's Biltmore).

I could appreciate the restoration that took place after the house was crumbling and had birds flying through it, but found the audio tour to be a little long-winded. Great for the super detail oriented, but I was a little bored by it. (I do like being able to walk the houses without a guide but at the same time love a real, live person to whom I can direct questions and be given info--go figure. My kids however LOVE audio tours. Hubby felt the same way as I did about the audio tour and we ditched it after seeing the 1st floor.)

The gift shop was cute, and overall we really enjoyed Rosecliff and were happy we followed other reviewers advice and did the cottages in some kind of ascending order. Today we are off to see Marble Hall, The elms and the Breakers.

Reviewed 13 March 2010

I have visited many stunning mansions and palaces around the world, and Rosecliff is easily one of my favorites, so much so I got married there. Rosecliff is modeled after the Petite Trinon at Versailles and the exterior holds a delicate grace which I feel is lost in most of the other Newport mansions. If you want to be awed but nothing but marble and gold, The Breakers and Marble House hold far more impressive treasures, but I find places like this a bit gawdy and over the top. The main attraction at Rosecliff is the architecture itself, set back upon beautiful gardens with panoramic windows that open up to the sea. It features Newport's largest ballroom, that has a stunning painted ceilings the color of the sky. It is warm and inviting and has played host to some of Newport's most memorable parties during the gilded age. Also, Stamford White truly worked his magic when designing the interior. The heart shaped staircase in the foyer is something I have yet to see anywhere else and I will never forget how it felt to walk down it as a bride.

The only bad thing I can say about it is a cantankerous old women often runs the front entrance area. She is very rude. I have been through the house several times and she is usually there snapping at someone and making you feel like a suspect just for being inside. Before we got married, but after all deposits were down I took my future husband to see the room it would be in and she wouldn't let him peek in without buying the full tour so we had to look through the windows outside. Bad staff can ruin a lot of things, but luckily the Preservation Society day staff has nothing to do with private events.

When you book a Newport Mansion wedding, the organization makes it so easy to choose your vendors and make your affair everything you dreamed of, even if you don't live nearby. There were no hiccups in the entire planning process, the evening was perfect (other than going by too quickly) and everyone we met during the process was a pleasure to work with.

Not a day goes by where I don't think of Rosecliff and wish we could relive that night again and again.

12  Thank RobynPringTravel