All reviews room was clean cool retro beautiful historic hotel the famous anchor bar an older hotel bar and grill downtown core water pressure air conditioner microwave fixtures neighborhood linens ny
Reviewed 6 October 2018

The Lenox is located in the heart of one of the most beautiful and historic parts of Buffalo, NY. The best part of the Lenox is its staff. They are always welcoming and courteous. I definitely suggest this hotel when visiting Buffalo.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2018

I was coming back to my hometown from Chicago for a 6 night stay with my wife for a family engagement. I completely liked the idea of staying somewhere historic in such a historic neighborhood, which I'm very familiar with. I knew the neighborhood had the potential of being a bit sketchy, but I love the bohemian, lived-in, culture of Allentown and so I took a chance, hoping to find a historic, quaint, hidden Buffalo gem. But when we got there we realized quickly that this place was NOT A BOUTIQUE as described and did indeed represented the dirtier part of the neighborhood.

The premises were POORLY MAINTAINED and looked very broken down and dirty, which stood out as soon as we pulled up. The place also served as a moderate-to-low rental property for a less-than-boutique clientele. When we got to our room we found them small, dirty and uncomfortable. The air conditioner was broken (missing knobs) and didn't work very well (during a very hot week), there was food left in the refrigerator, a bulb was missing from the bathroom, and the beds were old, worn and squeaky. Two of the elevators were being occupied with people moving in (or out!) All these little, seedy, flaws took away any possible charm the old place might have had.

My wife and I discussed it, as not wanting to cause any trouble, but decided that 6 nights was too long to stay in this seedy hotel and room. I was personally very disappointed in my choice, as I had much higher expectations based on how the hotel was advertised.

But THE WORST PART of the whole experience was how POORLY we were TREATED by the front desk, the management and ownership. When we told them that the place did not meet our expectations, along with a number of legitimate problems, and that we wanted a refund (as they already ran our credit card), the manager on staff seemed to be personally disappointed with us and virtually scolded us for wanting to leave and stay at a different hotel and refused to give us a full refund. We fought to get half of the refund back immediately and then left to stay in a different hotel right around the corner. (Much better!) We were told to call the GM the next day to try and get the rest of the refund.

When we went back to the hotel the next day to speak with Leah, the general manager, she accused us of lying about the room and refused to help us. We ended up spending the next several days trying to get in touch with the owner of the property, Anthony Truso, but had no luck. We left several messages but he refused to get back to us. We then had to contact our credit card company to dispute the charge for the 2nd half of our refund, which we eventually got months later.

We didn't let the experience sour our trip home, but it wasn't a good way to start our trip and left with a very bad taste in our mouth coming back to Buffalo, a city that has taken a long time to find its way back. Luckily I knew the area and was able to scramble to find a quick solution, even if it meant staying with friends or family. The Lenox Hotel has a fancy boutique website, but is a 2 star hotel at best. But the way were treated by the owner and the staff I would highly recommend looking for another location. IT TRULY WAS A TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Room tip: Do not stay here.
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank soto9117
Reviewed 4 July 2018 via mobile

First I will say, this hotel is beautiful and historic. It is in the downtown core so it's very conveniently located. The staff that checked me and were wonderful even going out of their way to bring us some more linen and ice. The room was cozy and quaint the beds were comfortable the air conditioner was cold as was the fridge in the room. The hotel is apartments and hotel rooms, although there is no smoking you can smell stale smoke in the hall ways.
I would stay at this hotel again for its location, cleanliness and the friendly staff!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

My family and I booked 6 rooms ranging from the double double, queen, and king. All the rooms had their own flavor. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Keep in mind,the hotel is a "Old", but it accommodates your basic needs. Nothing too fancy but basic nice...They still use regular keys.. lol The staff was super nice and helpful. If you're looking for something to eat, they have a bar and grill downstairs, and it stays open until 4am!! The food was pretty good. So, to conclude this, if you're looking for an simple not too expensive stay, I would highly recommend the Lenox.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2018

I was pleasantly surprised by the Lenox. The lobby has a cool retro feel - great faux burled walnut painted walls leading you up to the front desk The staff was so pleasant and welcoming. The General Manager, Paul, was very helpful. The hotel is in the process of renovating some areas bringing them up to date, The neighborhood is one of the very best in the city so you feel safe walking to restaurants, bars, and theatres.

Date of stay: May 2018