All reviews rooftop bar high tech fire pit steam shower chez ami heated seat hard hat tour toto toilet self cleaning electronic controls free valet parking state of the art downtown buffalo boutique hotel main level amazing room soft opening
Reviewed 24 July 2018

I stayed at the Curtiss Hotel last weekend and even though I had a confirmation for a 1.00pm checkout included in the hotel price and left the hotel room by 12.30pm, I was charged $52.50 late fee! I tried to talk to the Front Desk, show the confirmation and requested to speak to the manager, but the manager never showed up after I waited for 45 minutes! Can you believe this is the behavior of a 5-star hotel?! Take my advice and NEVER EVER stay at this hotel! They're liars, don't care about customer service or guests! In the middle of disputing these charges with the hotel and my credit card company - what a nightmare! Stay away from this hotel - they don't give a damn about their guests!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Bhavya851
Mark C, Manager at Curtiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

As you know and as we confirmed numerous times for you, our standard checkout time is 11:00am. You decided to stay in your room until after 1:30pm, even though we were sold out the next day and had arrivals coming in at 3:00pm.

We reduced the late checkout from from $75.00 to $50.00 and you still complain. SMH!

There are some people that you can never please unless you are willing to change your clearly published policy and give them something for "free"...

Reviewed 23 July 2018

My husband and I spent the days leading up to and the night of our wedding at the Curtiss Hotel. We were excited to stay at the Curtiss as we have had many pleasurable experiences at other boutique hotels around the country and hoped we might find an alternative to The Mansion when they are booked up.
I can honestly say the room was beautiful and the shower was to die for. I gave them a bit of slack at first for a few kinks but they started to wear as our stay went on. Even before our stay I phoned several weeks ahead to see if there was anything special the hotel could do to help us celebrate our wedding and the only offer was to bring a bottle of champagne to the room at a hefty charge. Now, I'm not asking for the moon here but this is a special occasion and they didn't have anything in the back pocket to offer up. I stayed at The Archer in NYC for a birthday celebration and they had several options at the ready to help make our stay more festive. Even our honeymoon hotel in Montreal added a few extra touches when they heard we were celebrating our marriage. Nothing expensive necessary, but the little things like a hand written note and a sweet treat make all the difference in the world. Those are the kinds of things that separate the good from the great.
The view from the bar was lovely but the scene was really only great for old white men who were looking for hookups with young girls. If that is your scene, go for it. If not, maybe take a pass. Also, no signature drinks or a bar menu to speak of which really puts them at a disadvantage when competing with all of the excellent bars popping up around Buffalo.
Another example is the button on the phone for room service but the general lack of any information provided in the room/on the tv/on the website about room service hours and offerings. We wanted to spend more money at the hotel and couldn't. We arrived to the hotel after our wedding and needed to have some dinner and the only options the staff could offer up was to get Dominos or just walk up and down Chippewa. Why doesn't the hotel prepare its staff with a cheat sheet of sorts that provides answers to very common questions? They were woefully unprepared to handle some of the most basic guest needs.The staff was friendly, yes, but there is no above-and-beyond that one expects from a boutique hotel.
I guess what I'm getting at is that this is a hotel that went so far in so many ways to provide the guest with a great experience but fell short when it came to the easy things.

Room tip: Great place if you want a pretty room and don't expect much in the way of customer service.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank misty r
Lauren Q, Front Office Manager at Curtiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

Misty,

We are generally surprised by your review and star rating. As you can see by all of the other independent reviews on this and other sites, we have close to 90% 4 and 5 star ratings for a very good reason.

We are the only 5 Star rated property in Buffalo, and our guests tell us that we have the best amenities they have ever seen in a Buffalo area hotel.

Our rooms are spacious and very well appointed.

We are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay.

1. Told I could get a shuttle at arrival time
2. Called (3X and put on hold,) to report change of flight; finally told to call upon arrival
3. Called upon arrival and told to “Hold, Hon’” while Xavier would “see if there is a car available...”
4. LOVED my shuttle driver! Wonderful young man with a brilliant future.
5. Front desk rep repeatedly called me “Love” and “Hon” upon checking in and then...
6. I had to sign an extraordinarily lengthy contract. Unprecedented.
7. I received the WORST room: dark as night and no light switches where you open the door— no, I had to grope around until you find the light buttons BEHIND the opened door. Someone did not think this through...
8. Called for toothpaste and was told housekeeping would bring it... but, voila, notsomuch. I did not see where I could call housekeeping directly, (the control panel by the phone is rather complicated)... and never received the toothpaste. Finally I went fto the desk to get it myself. Thank you!
9. The room! Small, narrow! Dark walls, dark drapes, dark stone—, small windows straight into a parking garage.
10. They have to save money on amenities by using spa-like refillable bottles in the shower? Really? For $250/nt?
11. I’m freezing! Even with the temperature adjusted up! Not a heavy enough comforter. Gotta double it over.
12. Thankful for the water and Keurig coffee!
13. Awoke to what I thought was a dog whimpering... or a baby...? Ohhh, no... a lady next door was being pleasured. Wow, these walls are thin!
14. Sweet, apologetic maid knocked at 9 AM. There is no “privacy” sign.
15. Dinner in the restaurant is excellent, from tender octopus to halibut. Kudos to the chef!
16. The breakfast buffet is dismal and, like everything else except the actual interior design, designed to scrimp. Mid-summer fruit is pears and navel oranges, no berries. Offerings are limited to the bare minimum with dry ?powdered eggs cemented to the bottom of the chafing dish and pale sausages not even browned. Dry muffins are available with no gluten free toast. Yogurt is Yoplait with 15 grams of sugar. Or you can have Cheerios. Wow.
17. Shall we discuss the nauseatingly flamboyant decor? Worse than the photos with an obvious “I ran out of money” entrance. And WHY put a rotating bar at street level with no view?
18. This is far and away my least favorite hotel experience EVER.

Trip type: Travelled on business
5  Thank aLITTLESpoiled
Mark C, Manager at Curtiss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Based on this absurd review, we wish you would have identified yourself so we could be sure to place you on our Do Not Sell list.

This kind of stuff could only be made up by someone with a wild imagination.

You clearly had a much different experience than 99% of our wonderful guests that rave about our hotel.

Please don't wait too long to get a reality check!

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

The accommodations at this location are amazing and luxurious, making it feel as if you are in another country when you enter the lobby to the bedrooms. The downside of such a beautiful place.... it is a new hotel so the staff..... isn’t there yet. I will say the front desk had three young employees that were great; Xavier and two young ladies who’s names have escaped me at the moment. There’s also a very kind and hardworking female manager at the rooftop bar who does a great job of showing what hospitality should be like, but again, there is much work to be done here.

Interesting side note; there is a Dj and a wonderful atmosphere on the rooftop, but it’s very much a people watching experience. I thought with such good music they’d have dancing, but it never happened in the 4 nights I was there. It’s also open to the public which isn’t a problem but it does get crowded.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Cia,

Thank you for your review.

Our VUE Rooftop Lounge is just that, an upscale lounge. It was not designed to be a dance club or night club.

We truly hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us.

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

We generally don’t stay in boutique hotels as they are usually overpriced and underwhelming. That is not the case with the Curtiss. From the moment we drove in until the moment we checked out the staff were absolutely amazing. They couldn’t do enough for us. From the valet to the front desk staff and even the housekeeping staff were all friendly and always helpful.
The Hotel itself has spoiled us for staying anywhere else in the future. Everything is top quality and impeccable.
The room was quiet and the modern lighting/drape controls were easy to use and unlike anything I’ve seen at any other place I’ve stayed. The king size bed was very comfortable and the pillows were perfect. The shower was probably the best part of the room with push button settings and several different shower head/body jet options.
The rest of the hotel was just as nice as the rooms and the rooftop bar was a great place to have a drink and view the city.
I honestly can’t say there was anything to complain about with this place, it really was worth every penny. I would not hesitate to recommend the Curtiss to anyone who enjoys top quality accommodations.
One last note is on the location of the Curtiss. It is within walking distance of lots of excellent restaurants, craft breweries, and live theatre.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

We would like to thank you for your awesome 5 Star review.

It would be nice if everyone appreciated our property and efforts as much as you did.

We look forward to seeing you back again in the future...