“Spacious and comfortable, convenient location”

Little America Hotel Flagstaff
Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed 6 July 2011

The Good: I admire the Little America concept of park-like settings for their hotels, which are set back from busy roads and surrounded by lush vegetation. Also typical is the grand lobby and reception area with a massive fireplace and chandelier and a very professional and attentive staff. There are several “lodge” buildings, each with two stories. The rooms open onto broad interior corridors. The generous size of the rooms also appeals to me. My room in Flagstaff was a whopping 23 x 14 ft., and that’s not even including the large bathroom, the entry way, and a mirrored vanity area outside the bathroom. I was able to book for around $125 a night, including taxes, and with a holiday weekend coming up, I considered the price reasonable for what one gets. The main space is divided into a furnished sitting room and a bedroom, with a partial partition between them, and it has a sliding glass door that looks out onto the grounds. As is typical for the chain, the furniture and wallpaper lean pretentiously to French provincial and brocade. Depending on your taste, you’ll either ooh and ah over it, or you’ll roll your eyes at how “shi-shi“ it looks, since, after all, it's just a motel room. While I personally wouldn’t decorate my own house like that, I have to admit that after a long day on the road, I enjoy the signature touches that Little America provides, and I’ll put my feet up on a French provincial coffee table any day. (Oops, is the management reading this?) At any rate, the furniture and carpets were all clean and in good condition, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was also very clean and included a small built-in refrigerator under the counter. The tub is a large oval fixture with a shower. Thanks for a shower head that is high enough to accommodate us tall people! Hot water was plentiful, and the towels and linens were of excellent quality. Outside the bathroom there is a handy second sink and counter that also serves as a make-up dresser (the standard floor plan for Little America). Internet connectivity was free of charge and consistently strong. There is a heated outdoor pool and a nice poolside area for relaxing outside. (Heated water is very important at over 7,000 feet above sea level.) Each lodge building appears to have its own fitness room. Mine was just down the hall and included a nice assortment of exercise machines and treadmills. This Little America is easy to reach from I-40, and one pleasant surprise was that it is also easy to get to the historic district of Flagstaff from this location. I was eager to visit a couple of brewpubs and the Orpheum Theater downtown and was able to drive there in about ten minutes via Butler Ave. and old Route 66. I did not visit the restaurant, service station, or any of the retail shops while I was at Little America, so I cannot comment on their quality. It’s possible to check out of your room by using a function of the in-room flat screen TV. That worked well, though it means you don’t get a printed receipt unless you stop by the front desk anyway.

The Bad: Negotiating street traffic at the entrance and exit for the hotel can be a bit of a nail-biter. The driveway is only a few feet from a major traffic intersection, with cars whizzing around the corner. This makes it difficult to exit the parking lot, especially if you want to turn left toward I-40. Also, on the subject of the room amenities, I noted above that there is adequate hot water, but the downside is that the water was so scalding hot, it was actually dangerous. After burning my hands, I quickly learned to turn the cold water faucet liberally at the same time that I ran the hot water. Finally, while the staff was generally very professional, I was annoyed that I had to endure boisterous conversation between cleaning ladies as they worked their way down the corridor at 9:00 a.m., loudly tapping their keys on all the doors and shouting “HOUSEKEEPING!” as if they expected the occupants to be deaf.

Room Tip: Upper rooms have small balconies, lower rooms sliding doors with egress to the grounds.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Glenmere7
There are newer reviews for Little America Hotel Flagstaff

Reviewed 6 July 2011

This was our first stay in a 'Little America' for two nights in June 2011.

The rooms were clean, tidy and a good size. The only let down was background noise from the interstate. I would recommend you request a room to the rear of the hotel, facing away from the interstate and towards the trees. Engine braking trucks do not add anything to a room. The plus side to this is the hotel is very easy to find off the interstate.

Being on the edge of town it's a cab ride to downtown Flagstaff. We decided to walk back but the cab was the better option. They will phone for one from the front desk and it's not expensive.

Not sure if I would call this place a hotel or motel. Maybe it's a bit of both. Not as plush as say the Little America in Salt Lake City but very good for an interstate option.

There was a gas station, store and an auto repair shop on hand with an area catering as a truck stop that were all separate from the main hotel area. You do not know they are there when in your room or the main hotel building. There was a gift shop off the lobby selling various 'Western American' type goodies but labels indicated some were made in China - a common theme not exclusive to this store or hotel chain - but personally, I do not fancy a made in China Stetson 'cowboy hat'. No offence to anybody.

You can be closer to downtown Flaggstaff if you like which had places to eat and drink, but I think entertainment was aimed more towards the university types as a whole. All the places we looked at were charging more than Little America, for what seemed not a great deal of difference. It's your own choice and any real differance between all the hotels may be just down to personal taste at the end of the day. What I can say is Little America had clean spacious rooms with a decent breakfast that we thought all added up to good value for money overall.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dingram633
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We were not sure about this when we booked because the Little America chain seems to link a big 'truck stop' and fuel station with a hotel. But it was excellent. Big, clean rooms with a small balcony. A little out of town so not noisy. It has a hiking/running trail in some woods and plenty of parking. Very good resteraunt and gift shop. There may be better in Flagstaff but we would come here again.

Room Tip: Queitest rooms are in the fourth building
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Having stayed here occasionally throughout the years, it was delightful to have the opportunity to spend another evening here--and to find out Little America still offers the same reasonably priced luxury as in the past.

My husband and I enjoyed feeling like we'd escaped to a Swiss chalet in the mountains, with main building and four two-story lodges placed among the pines. The rooms are decorated in a retro Olde World elegance with either a pale blue, mint, or red color scheme (I recommend pale blue or mint as the most impressive). Just as I remembered from prior visits, our room boasted a chandelier with shades over the room's small table, European styled furniture, and long marble counter and bathtub in the spacious bathroom. My husband was pleased with the very high-speed Internet access for his laptop--allowing him to do his work, while I did mine.

You might want to save the hotel's restaurant for a leisurely breakfast, however. Ask to sit by the tall windows at the restaurant's back for a refreshing view of the woods. Avoid ordering the top sirloin steaks on the dinner menu unless you are particularly fond of well-cooked shoe leather or bison. The "medium rare" steaks we ordered required sharper steak knives than diners are generally given. A manager suggested our order had been switched with the English lovers of well-cooked steak at another table and brought us new, rarer, and more edible versions. Our server later told us the dinner favorites here are the turkey with all the dressings or the trout.

On a post-dinner walk around the property, we did peek into some of the conference rooms being prepared for the next day's events. The rooms with crown moulding would be suitable for a traditional wedding, while a large room with floor-to-ceiling windows and offering great wooden chandeliers would be perfect for a rustic mountain-themed event. In the evening, we took a twilight hike part way along the hotel trail, then a romantic walk around the property, enjoying torches set up for another wedding and the pool and hot tub glowing turquoise among the trees,

We started the morning with a longer walk/jog on the hotel's 2.5 mile trail (a nice wide cleared path in the woods with a little bit of hill to keep it challenging) Excellent pancakes with hot maple syrup, perfect bacon and scrambled eggs back in the restaurant finished our stay before the two hour drive home.

Room Tip: We liked quiet Lodge 4 at the edge of the resort.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We had reservations for 2 rooms for our family of 5. I told them when I booked the rooms we would be arriving after 10 pm and they said it was fine. They called us at 8pm and asked if we were checking in I told them we would arrive between 10 and 10:30 pm, we arrived 10:30 and they didn't have our rooms and couldn't explain why. They did book us and paid for 2 rooms for one night accross the street at Holiday inn express. The rooms were so much smaller. Kind of ruined the trip for me felt suffocated. we did stay with the holday inn the following night because we didn't want to pack and unpack. Actually didn't want to give them our business after what happened. i'm disappointed looked forward to staying there for quite a while.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank jEAN
MrReese, Manager at Little America Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2011

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide a review on TripAdvisor and we thank you for your honest feedback. Of course, we are naturally disappointed that your experience was less than perfect. Please know that as an independent hotel we place great stock in your experience and when that falls short of both our expectations we want to take action to correct the problem and prevent future occurrences.

It is not our policy to overbook and “give away” reservations. Occasionally, we find the hotel in a difficult situation resulting from guests that extend their stay with little or no advance notice. While it might seem that the right thing to do is to deny such extension requests, the State of Arizona has laws preventing such action. As you can imagine, when the hotel is planned to be fully occupied and unanticipated extensions occurs, it puts the Hotel in the unenviable position of having to relocate guests who were anticipating staying at the Hotel. This was the case in your recent stay.

In this unfortunate event, our focus becomes minimizing the inconvenience to our guests. In an effort to do so, we pay for the hotel at a similar competitor hotel, and upon the guests return to our Hotel we provide them with a complimentary upgrade. Additionally, we extend complimentary transportation between hotels. While we understand it is impossible to fully recover the guest inconvenience, we feel this is a step in the right direction.

As the General Manager of the Hotel, I am charged with ensuring our guests leave the Hotel satisfied with their experience, and in this case we have clearly failed and I extend my apologies to you and your guest. It is our hope that in the future you might again trust us with an opportunity to win your business and that you can enjoy all the wonderful services and facilities provided at that Flagstaff Little America Hotel.

Fred Reese