“First Visit”
Review of Frontera Grill

Frontera Grill
Ranked #29 of 393 Restaurants in Springfield
Reviewed 3 September 2018

My wife and I decided at the last minute to try the Frontera Grill which recently opened in Springfield. I called for a reservation, but they only do a "call ahead" system. Called when we were about ten minutes away (as requested), but were told they were not busy. Arrived and there is plenty of parking adjacent to the building. Greeted inside and seated by the hostess. They have booths along the windows and tables in the center of a nicely decorated, clean dining room. We were seated at a table (booths were all occupied) and provided with chips (very good) and salsa that had a slight kick (also good). A good amount of wait staff and our server was at our table within a very short time. Ordered drinks (a huge El Presidente at $12.00, and a Gin and Tonic at $5.25) which were both good. My wife ordered the "Marco Polo Tacos"($14.95) and I ordered the "Shrimp Fajitas"($17.25). My wife said her meal was very good consisting of small, bacon-wrapped shrimp, cheese, onion and cabbage in two corn tortillas. Meal came with beans, rice, Pico de Gallo and Cholla Garlic Aioli. My meal was excellent and consisted of larger shrimp, red and green sliced peppers, sliced onion, which all came served on a sizzling platter. Tortillas came in a separate container and were nicely warm. Rice (very good), beans (excellent) , sour cream, guacamole, and Pico de Gallo. We both brought some food home to save room for the "Fried Ice Cream"($6.50) which was a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream with a nice crunchy coating. It came served with sauces in a eatable bowl which had a cinnamon flavor. Perfect ending to the meal. Probably the best Mexican meal I have had in some time. Will definately be going back.

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

Chicken burrito is good, salad had no dressing on it, cheese sauce is very tasty.

Beef supreme burrito was Dog food tasting meat. Very disappointing. I've had it before and I tried to talk my friend out of it. He was used to Nana's Kitchen with pulled beef, always fantastic!

Reviewed 4 August 2018

Was curious on the quality as I have had some real good Mexican food in the past. (in Mexico) Dine here for lunch on a Saturday afternoon with my wife. Ordered a couple frozen margaritas, jumbo. The came quick and were very good. They brought chips and a small carafe of salsa. The salsa was a little thin but had a good flavor and a slight kick that most other local places do not. My wife got the chicken street tacos and I got the chicken Frontera burrito. I thought the price for just two tacos was a little pricey but they were huge. My wife liked the tortilla they were wrapped in and ate a lot of the taco filling with a fork as it was overflowing. My burrito was good and the sauce it came with was flavorful. I took my wife guac and put it on my burrito and WOW, the guac was fabulous. Would probably get it mad table-side next time if it's that great. Server was very pleasant as it was our first time and we were not familiar with the menu. Needless to stay we left stuffed and satisfied...

Reviewed 21 July 2018

Finally a Mexican restaurant with flavor and no canned beans! Ordered the 1800 Reposado Camarones and it was delicious! First visit and very impressed. The food was served on a screaming hot plate and there were plenty of shrimp, mushrooms, rice, beans and a delicious cole slaw. More than enough for one person but so good I ate it all.

My only negative comments would be the salsa (very mild) and the music (very loud) but I can tolerate both. Looking forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

Hibiscus sangria is like the nectar of the gods and the coconut margarita is gigantic and amazing. Table side guacamole is made to order, and we highly recommend the carne asada. Fried ice cream is a treat!