“Fantastic stay at La Fonda on the Plaza!”

La Fonda on the Plaza
Ranked #5 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Breckenridge, Colorado
“Fantastic stay at La Fonda on the Plaza!”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This was our second visit to Santa Fe, but our first to the La Fonda. The room was a bit on the small side, but I've found historic hotels tend to have smaller rooms, so that was no matter to me. The room was very clean and comfortable for myself, spouse and tween daughter, plus our Dachshund. Loved the fact that the hotel welcomed pets and at no charge! The bed was very comfortable and the down pillows were so comfortable that I actually took one out of the case to see who made them. When I got home, I did some research and found they are American-made, which I appreciate, and ordered my own. The room and hotel were decorated with beautiful Southwestern flare and the atmosphere was festive, friendly and fun. We enjoyed the two terraced hot tubs and the pool and browsing at the hotel's stores especially the rock shop. We ate in the lounge restaurant where we had excellent food and service and a fun time dancing. The hotel's location right on the Plaza can't be beat! You can walk everywhere, museums, shopping and the cathedral are across the street in one direction and the plaza park, restaurants and more shopping in the other. We didn't encounter any negatives and found the whole staff to be friendly, attentive and professional. The front desk and concierge were very helpful. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely return. I recommend driving to Bandelier National Monument for a fun hike and ancient ruins.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Barbara M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 1 April 2012 via mobile

We don't get up this way often but always enjoy the fine weather, beautiful scenery, culture, and dining when we DO make it to Santa Fe. Have been staying at La Fonda for all of our recent visits - the hotel and staff never disappoint.

This time we made great time driving in and arrived about 2 pm, well before checkin time. Dave the bellman took us in hand, got us parked, loaded all our bags and escorted us to the front desk, and stayed with us through the first room and a room change (the room assigned at checkin, though very comfortable, had spotty to no wireless Internet connectivity). Dave moved us into the first room, then moved us OUT of the first room into the second. Took about an hour of his time. (Yes he earned a nice tip but any way you cut it, this was cheerful and helpful service beyond the call, and very welcome after out seven hour drive)!

A fine star stay once again.

Stayed March 2012
Los Angeles
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I took my husband to La Fonda to celebrate his 60th birthday. Prior to the trip I e-mailed Rebecca, the concierge at the The Terrace, to arrange for flowers and balloons in our room. I was very insistant that everything be perfect. Well, she exceeded my expectations. The room was beautifully decorated with the flowers and balloons, along wtih a bottle of complimentary wine, and a welcome tray of cheese, crackers, and fruit. Rebecca was very attentive to our every need. We later found out that everyone connected to the hotel, from the desk staff, to the housekeepers, to the parking attendants were exceptional. The artwork throughout the hotel was so beautiful that it was like being in an art gallery/musuem. Even our room had amazing orginal artwork. Having the choice of breakfast brought to our room or eating in the amaxing restuarant downstairs included in the room price was a nice touch. We did both and loved everything. My husband was so impressed that he can't wait to return. Special thanks to Rebecca, who set the tone for excellence before we even arrived and to Steve, the downstairs concierge, for loaning me a cell phone charger for the week. He saved me the trouble and expense of hunting down one to buy. We love LaFonda for making us feel so special every minute of our stay!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and stay in The Terrance rooms. They are more quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel has the real feel of the Southwest. The entrances are lines with upscale stores that carry Southwestern merchandise. The lobby is filled with wonderful paintings of the Southwest. The rooms are on the smallish side, but the folk art paintings on the end tables and dressers make up for it. The concierge Nancy is wonderful. So friendly and helpful. Every restaurant she sent us to was a gem. And the hotel restaurant itself is special. Lots of items have a Northern New Mexico touch. The eggs Benedict have tomatillos in the Hollandaise sauce and the sausage gravy has green chiles in it. If you visit Santa Fe, you'll be glad you stayed here.

Room Tip: If you have the money, splurge on a suite.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 March 2012

During our five day trip to New Mexico, my wife and I stayed one night at the La Fonda Hotel in Santa Fe. I have been in the Marine Corps for 26 years, and have been all over the country and world -- this is an excellent hotel. The room was very nice and authentic Santa Fe -- I’ve included photos of our room. Our king size bed was outstanding and very comfortable. The location is as good as it gets -- right on the corner of the Plaza. Overall, the staff was very good; however, the bell man, David Robinson, was outstanding! We first met him on the top floor and talked to him for about five minutes. About three hours later, he recognized us while we were in the bar having a margarita -- we ended up chatting with him for another five or ten minutes and he gave us some excellent dining recommendations. He definitely stood out among the staff – down to earth, friendly, humorous and helpful. We ate breakfast at the hotel -- La Plazuela at La Fonda -- and it was excellent, as well. The only reasons I am not giving this hotel the highest rating is because the WiFi did not work in our room. I contacted the front desk twice to inquire about the WiFi and the person at the front desk never responded to me, as she said she would. Also, the bathtub is in need of replacing -- it was definitely showing signs of age. Regardless, I highly recommend the La Fonda Hotel when visiting Santa Fe.

Room Tip: WiFi did not work in our first floor corner room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple