“Don't believe everything you read...”

The Lodge at Santa Fe
Ranked #34 of 61 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 3 December 2014

I first learned of The Lodge at Santa Fe via Living Social. They offered a reduced rate deal, which looked pretty good. The pictures online make the hotel look really nice and the amenities listed were pretty good. This looked like the perfect weekend getaway for our anniversary.

Now, I'm not going to be very nice in this review, so I should state up front the things we did like. The location was pretty good, the room was spacious, and the atmosphere was very "Santa Fe". The property looks really nice from the street and the view of the national cemetery across the street is pretty moving. The bed was actually pretty comfortable as well.

Okay, now for the hard part. Upon arriving, we quickly learned that not all was as advertised. Out of the amenities listed, our "really like to haves" are: Complimentary WIFI, Hot tub, and Complimentary parking. We were one for three.

The parking was indeed free and plentiful because there just weren't very many people staying here on the weekend before Thanksgiving. But upon inspecting the pool area where the outdoor hot tub was located, we found the hot tub to be sub-standard. I turned on the hot tub and over half of the jets were not working and the ones that were didn't put out a lot of bubbles. And the water was not hot. While this may seem picky, a hot tub with warm water and very few bubbles isn't worth the hassle of walking through the cold night air. But to each their own.

Then we tried to get online with our laptop. While we could see the WiFi network, we couldn't connect due to the low signal. Again, I know I'm being picky, but I made the mistake of believing their website and didn't make time to do any research on the area before leaving home. Okay, my bad. But the reason for the weekend getaway was because we just stay too busy when we're at home. We figured we'd get checked in to the hotel, go grab some dinner, then come back and map out our weekend by surfing the sites in the hotel room.

So, I called the front desk and they promised to reset the router. Fair enough. I've had to do that at home. So, we went to dinner, then came back and were a little surprised when we still couldn't connect. I called the front desk and was told that's the best they could do but that we were welcome to come to the lobby where the signal was strongest. Sorry, but the last thing I want to do is spend a couple of hours in the lobby surfing the web. So we took our chances without the research.

Now, I know I'm being picky, but if they had not stated on their website "complete your day’s business from your guestroom work desk using our complimentary WIFI", I would not have expected that service and dealt with it. Don't advertise a capability if you can't deliver.

Finally, the rooms are really in need of some updating. The bathroom shower only somewhat worked. Most of the water went out the tub spout vs. the shower head.

Okay, I realize I'm sounding pretty petty, but I've paid less for rooms and had better features and service. This was supposed to be a weekend retreat, but it just didn't live up to the website's promises. We did complete their online survey when we got home and the manager promised to look into these things. But that was over a week ago and we've heard nothing. If they come back and offer to make it up to us, I'll update my report. Until then...

Room Tip: You may get WiFi reception if your room is closer to the office/front desk. But do not expect it at...
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Mark B
Glen O, Manager at The Lodge at Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2015

Dear Mark B,

Thank you for taking the time to Review The Lodge at Santa Fe. Firstly I am glad that you enjoyed the location, atmosphere, views and comfortable beds.
I am however sorry that you encountered a few issue's during your stay. I am happy to say that we have now replaced the pumps in the hot tub to ensure an enjoyable experience. I am also aware of the problems we have been facing with the hotel WIFI and am also pleased to announce that the hotel is in the process of receiving a completely new WIFI system that will dramatically improve reception in all of our rooms. Our New Maintenance manager is aware of your concerns in the bathroom and is working through all hotel room to bring them up to the standard we expect. I am unsure which manager you have spoken to so I have elevated this comment to the regional managers and they will address all concerns.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we hope to be given the opportunity to show you all our improvements should you return to our beautiful city.

Thanks

Reviewed 3 December 2014

The Lodge at Santa Fe is a really nice destination, and we got it at a fantastic price. It is within walking distance of the heart of Santa Fe, but there is a shuttle which runs between the four hotel properties owned by Heritage Hotels.
Very nice decor and the rooms are very well appointed with Anasazi Indian decor.
There is a great Mexican Restaurant, Garduno's, on-site. The hotel has an outdoor pool and fireplace, but we weren't able to use either because we made our visit in late fall.

Room Tip: There are lots of rooms in the property, so is one isn't to your liking, request another.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Althoff7

Dear, Althoff7,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Lodge at Santa Fe. We are glad that you enjoyed our hotel from the decor in the rooms , our complimentary shuttle service to our delicious food in Garduno's.

I am glad that you was able to take advantage of our great offer as we do have many throughout the year, so keep checking our website as we would love you to return in the summer months and use our gorgeous pool, fire area and pool bar.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 8 November 2014

Location is great - quiet and nice view. Room was large and clean. Staff was very helpful. The maintenance staff was very responsive. The gift wine was very good. The breakfast was generous and good. however, the wait staff needs to be trained.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends

Dear thomas29144,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Lodge at Santa Fe and I would have to agree with you our staff really do take the needs of our guests very seriously and do a great job.

I am glad you enjoyed the food and position size in our restaurant and I am happy to say that with the new management we have in place a full customer service course has been completed.

We look forward to your next stay.

Thanks

Reviewed 4 November 2014

We have stayed at this hotel three times, and the last time will be just that-- Our last.

It has loads of potential-- It's in a great location in Santa Fe, overlooking the National Veteran's Memorial Cemetary; has loads of Southwestern Charm; a large pool and jacuzzi area, and (at least a plus for us) is pet-friendly.

Unfortunately the place is in really, really rough shape. It's like they stopped maintaining the place after the first time we stayed there back in 2009. On our last stay the list of problems were long. The carpets in the lobby were worn and dirty. Our first room smelled like mildew; the room they switched us into had a broken door. They then switched us to yet another room (yes, we had to move twice times) also had a broken door. At that point they tried fixing the door which ended up seizing up the door lock so we were locked out. The Jacuzzi was also broken. Great staffers who do their best with a run-down and neglected property. Avoid.

Room Tip: Make sure to get one of the "suites" with the private entrance and balcony. Well worth the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank bigsprinter

Dear bigsprinter,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Lodge at Santa Fe. We are happy to know that you enjoyed the view of the National Veterans Memorial Cemetery and we agree it is beautiful.

We do apologize for the inconvenience of having to move rooms twice, we strive to provide the best service and accommodations for our guests and we have addressed these issues.

Should you decide to visit the city different again we would very much like to be given the opportunity to show you the improvements made.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge at Santa Fe.

Thanks again

Reviewed 28 October 2014

I had a last minute business trip that required going from the East Coast to Santa Fe the following day...where to turn...HotelTonight. I was able to book my stay at the Lodge for $65/night. This hotel is not directly in the Historic area, but very close.
The rooms are not as nice as say the Hilton, but very close.
The bar was very reasonably priced and the food was really very good.
Pros:
Price ($65/night)
Ease of access - right off highway
Decor
Cleanliness
Very nice staff

Cons:
Stained hallway carpets
Keycard doors worked sporadically at best
Bathrooms are out-dated
My toilet broke
TV is old.

Overall, I'd definitely stay here again - at the price it is unbeatable...it would be fantastic if they could get some flat-screen TVs, replace the carpets in the Hall and update the bathrooms.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank chris j
Glen O, Manager at The Lodge at Santa Fe, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2014

Dear Chris j,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Lodge at Santa Fe. Firstly let me say that I am glad we could accommodate you with one of our incredible current offers. I am glad you enjoyed the staff, Location, price, cleanliness and Decor.
I did want to just update you on a few of the changes happening in the coming months. The carpets are being dealt, some being replaced and all are being deep cleaned. I must say are already starting to look much better and I can't wait to have this completed. We have just received our first batch of new keycards that should improve their reliability and we are updating all of our TV's to smart flat-screens.
Once again thank you for your review, we are glad that you would consider us again for your next visit and look forward to welcoming you back.
Thanks - Glen