“Ole to Chef Olea!!!”
Review of Sazon

Sazon
Reserve with OpenTable
Sazon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 612 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: USD 35 - USD 60
Description: Housed in an iconic old adobe building in the center of Santa Fe, Sazon gives its patrons a taste of what the authentic Mexico, with its fastest growing ethnic cuisine in terms of popularity, is all about. The artwork is stunning. Starting with a massive chandelier in the main hallway, custom made in Guadalajara and featuring over 16 different lamps, to the furniture and artwork, it is obvious that special attention has been given to the interior decoration. The oil on canvass paintings are beautiful, featuring artists from Mexico City, Guadalajara and Cabo, Mexico. The dining room is warm and inviting with lots of space so you don't feel crowded, but also plenty of romantic and private spots where one can be wrapped in their own cocoon. There is a back room that is part of the dining room but can also be sectioned off for private parties. Lighting has been well thought out and highlights the art without being intrusive. The bar is stunning exhibiting a great sensitivity to the Santa Fe adobe style yet bringing its own clean and refreshed look. The bar, made from recycled parapara wood from Ecuador, houses the largest selection of tequila and mescal in Santa Fe. Bartenders know their craft as evidenced by the signature cocktails featuring tequila and mescal which are subtle and seductive. Try a Sazonrita which is Mezcal, Patron Citronge, fresh lime, agave, and muddled cucumber over ice. It will make a believer out of you when it comes to mescal!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Yes, we local Santa Feans wholeheartedly approve of 3-year old Sazon, Chef Olea’s latest restaurant endeavor, and we think it is his best effort yet. Chef is renown for his moles and we sampled six to start our dinner, which can then be paired by you or the chef with food picks; all were excellent and very different – you may find it unusual that only one has a strong (dark) chocolate taste and the chocolate in the rest is not even obvious. You will find chile in most of the dishes at Sazon, but none overpower the elegant combination of spices in each dish.
We started with the highly recommended zucchini blossoms stuffed with three cheeses that literally melt in your mouth. Next we shared the Chef’s signature Sopa D’Amor that is a complex blend of warm/cool and sweet/savory with some added spice. It is based on creamed poblano chile with crab meat topped with a sweet foam. Our main course was the exceptionally tasty Cholula made from a poblano stuffed with ground lamb, pork, and beef plus a variety nuts and seeds with a jalapeno balsamic. We finished with the Dulce Simfonia (symphony) comprising spicy (but quite subtle) ginger and pinon nuts that wakes up the front of your mouth, which is then cooled by avocado ice cream and red beet foam, but finished with a slight jalapeno zing that starts from the back of your mouth – how does Chef do this?
Artwork is abundant in this quiet restaurant and apparently comes from a private collector who apparently likes the Frida Kahlo style on a large scale. The décor goes very nicely with the architecture of this historic building only a short walk from the Plaza. Your happy Chef will likely walk to your table to answer any questions you have while enjoying an amazing meal. All of the staff is very professional and friendly at the same time. Not inexpensive, but well worth it for the special birthday we celebrated.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank John B

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is a definite stop for anyone visiting Santa Fe. The food is delicious, the service is top-notch, and the decor is wonderful. A friend and I ate there on our first trip to Santa Fe and we wish that the chef would open a restaurant in our hometown! I had the shrimp enchiladas that had one of the tastiest sauces I have ever eaten. My friend thoroughly enjoyed the stuffed eggplant. We each had a delicious sangria. The best part of the meal was the dessert. We shared the Dulce Sinfonia (which is listed on the top of the dessert menu as the chef’s signature dessert). It truly is a masterpiece of tastes. I’d return to Sazon just for the dessert (and I hardly ever order dessert)!

2  Thank Royalstreet
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

This is an upscale restaurant with amazing food. The service was fast, friendly and helpful. I had the Chilean sea bass and it was cooked perfectly and my husband had the duck tenderloin and he loved it. We had the zucchini blossom for an appetizer based on another reviewer recommendation and they were delicious. It is a little expensive $150 for two without drinks but we loved it.

2  Thank lindapF1137CO
Reviewed 23 March 2018

I was a little reluctant when I made the reservation and it required a credit card to hold a table but I'm glad I saw it through.
This is an incredible restaurant. We were seated right away. No fire going that night which would have been nice but it was still a warm and inviting atmosphere.
They start by bringing out 5 different mole sauces with homemade corn tortillas. Then they go over the menu so you match your favorite mole with main dish. We started with a corn truffle appetizer. Beautiful and delicious. For dinner had a tenderloin - incredible and also the shrimp enchilada -- beyond fabulous.. The desserts were equally incredible. You need to experience a full 3 course meal here... A true delight and worth every penny.

3  Thank drjds71
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Sazon was recommended to me by my family.
The restaurant itself is a lovely place with wonderful artwork on the walls and a good waitstaff who are right there lickety split every time your water gets low. I felt like we waited way too long for them to come get our credit card after they presented us with the bill.
As for the food, we had high expectations after eating at Coyote Cafe last night which was excellent. The food was very high priced and I really don’t mind as long as it is top notch. I’m sorry to say it was not. It was average-good but not a 10 which for those prices, it should’ve been. My dinner itself wasn’t hot, just warm. My dinner companions got pork, and I think I’ve made the same dish at home. For dessert we ordered the chocolate cake with the chocolate sauce. It was very average. I wish I could’ve given this place a better review. It just didn’t knock my socks off. The are other restaurants in Santa Fe that do!

1  Thank Courtnan

Been to Sazon? Share your experiences!