“Disappointing”

La Cocina de Dona Clara
Ranked #309 of 592 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We were starving when we made it to Santa Fe on our recent road trip. We took the advice of a local and went to La Cocina de Dona Clara. The two reviews on TA were good so we thought he'd sent us to a hidden gem which can be so hard to find when traveling. The prices were reasonable, especially for Santa Fe, but that's the last positive thing I have to say about it. This restaurant holds the distinction of being the worst meal we had on a 3 week road trip around the Southwest.

The service was so bad that we wanted to ask her for a tip instead of leaving one for her. We ordered chips and salsa with our drinks, asked for it 4 times, and finally they were delivered cold and burned after our meals were eaten. The waitress came back to our table a number of times to ask if everything was OK and never brought what we asked for (chips and salsa, a glass of water, a second Jarritos, hot sauce). We could have understood it if she was busy, but we were one of only two tables in the whole restaurant.

It was hard to focus on the food when we were constantly looking for the waitress for something we needed. Our dishes ranged from fairly good (steak burrito) to OK (green chili chicken enchilada which was recommended as not too spicy, but turned out to be quite spicy which my husband can't eat) to greasy and bland (taquitos that were nearly inedible).

Santa Fe has so many restaurants that it is hard to find small, out of the way places with good food. Many of the top reviewed ones aren't necessarily what you're looking for for a quick lunch. This place was empty when we walked in and that should have been a hint to go elsewhere, but we were hungry and it was raining. Oh well...one bad meal in 3 weeks isn't anything to dwell on!

3  Thank luv2snorkel61

Reviewed 28 May 2013

This place is just a few blocks from the plaza. But it's a world away from the bland, over-priced crap just up the street. Do yourself a favor and find it. At first we saw the lack of alcohol as a negative. But once we took our first sips of a Mexican Coke, we forgot all about the most interesting man in the world and his friends. Plus, you needs your wits about you to navigate the menu. There are important choices to be made. Although I suspect you can't go wrong.

1  Thank TheJoeKnows
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I stopped in for lunch on the recommendation of a friend who works at the State Dept. across the street. I ordered the carne asada (steak) torta and it was delicious. For under $6 I got a delicious torta with grilled steak, avocado, tomato, lettuce, dressing, and two kinds of salsa. It was mouth watering good and the avocado salsa had just the right bite.

If I'd had time to go back I would have tried the Tortilla Soup because I saw it served and it looked delicious!

2  Thank TheRefreshments