“Great Last Stop in Santa Fe”

Kakawa Chocolate House
Ranked #2 of 19 Food & Drink in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Owner description: Be sure to visit Kakawa Chocolate House for your custom "Chocolate experience" with daily tastings of our world famous drinking chocolate elixirs. Stay in or take out a selection from our unique artisanal hand made chocolates, elixirs, baked goods and gifts.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Paoli, Indiana
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Great Last Stop in Santa Fe”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

If only we’d known about the “Chocolate Trail” before our last day in Santa Fe! Be sure to check out some of the options at http://www.santafenewmexican.com/food/9-TASTE-Chocolate. We knew we didn’t have time to hit all the stops, but we did visit Kakawa Chocolate House upon the recommendation of a staff member at our hotel. What a great experience this turned out to be!

The shop offers a wide variety of special chocolate creations, but we came specifically for the drinking chocolates. We were offered samples before making our choice (the Modern Mexican turned out to be our favorite). In addition, we received extremely friendly service and a warm, sunny place to relax with our decadent selection. The owner went out of his way to make our experience here a unique one, and we will definitely be back! He even presented us with one of their popular brownies to enjoy on the flight home. Believe me, we had some envious travelers eyeing our yummy treat when we decided to give it a try!

Thank you, Kakawa, for giving our trip to Santa Fe such a sweet ending!

2 Thank ksfmom
Tony B, Owner at Kakawa Chocolate House, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Glad we could help to make your trip a great one. Please visit us again when in Santa Fe!

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth the trip to Sante Fe alone!”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Love their array of dairy free and gluten free chocolate. And they have a large array of dark chocolate choices made with over 70% cocoa.

I will definitely be back.

Thanks Peter!!

1 Thank Ahvia
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Only one day in Santa Fe, our accidental first stop, deliberately our last.”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We really did stumble on Kakawa by accident. It was late morning (great timing for Santa Fe in February--just warming up--but no crowds. . .) when we were greeted by the crackling wood fire and Kerry Anna. She explained their menu, which seems to cater to a spectrum of chocolate-loving that ranges from sweet European-style goodies to the more elusive Mayan-Aztec warm drinks that I'd only heard and read about. Before I knew it, my wife and I were sipping from tasting cups, feeling the spice of chili spread with the bitter of cacao--some aided by honey, some rosewater or agave. We didn't try the more traditional (less bitter) hot chocolates, but based on the love that these folks give, I am sure none would disappoint. We picked up some very memorable caramels and truffles, which, as I write this, are sadly gone. If it were not for the fact that I'm sure I'll find a way to return, I would consider this shop a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Do not miss it. And yes, we did return for an elixir (dry) to bring home on our way out of town. Our next trip to Santa Fe will certainly start at Kakawa. And I do hope that Kerry Anna knows that she made our visit splendid! Even causing me to write my first review in TripAdvisor. . .

2 Thank Joe L
Nassau County, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Tree of Life...Chocolate"”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Sample the elixirs, they are extraordinary...you can even mix them if you'd like creating your very own chocolate specialty. They come in two sizes small or large and are served by pleasant staff in a cozy setting. One can sit by the fire or off to the side for a bit more privacy. Take it to go as well or buy some for home(if you live locally) or if you dont they ship too. yay! The chocolates are unique ranging from spicy to the well known depending on one's preference and all are made on the premises. There is ample parking and a bathroom (despite what a previous reviewer stated); prices may seem a bit high but this is specialty chocolate and well worth the cost...you will not regret it!

1 Thank Yvonne B
Tony B, Owner at Kakawa Chocolate House, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
It was a pleasure having you in the store! Wish you could be a regular! Our other customers also enjoyed meeting both of you!
Arlington, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Was not worth my money”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Small place, no public restrooms, chocolate is not all that great. Sampled a few chocolate drinks---gross. I would rather have a regular hot chocolate. The brownie was too rich and tasted like it was not mixed well before baking. It was not good. The homemade ice cream was not all that great either. The best thing was probably the over baked or burnt cookie I had. It was hard as a rock. I paid $15.09 for two ice cream cups, one brownie, and one cookie. Save your money and just go to Ben & Jerry's or something.

2 Thank Shana S