All reviews quarryman hall lime kiln cafe roche harbor historic hotel tennis courts flag ceremony sculpture garden village homes formal gardens uneven floors bedroom condo the cottages double sinks shared bathroom gorgeous views grocery store san juan islands
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We took the ferry from Seattle to Friday Harbor.The ferry has cafeteria style food. The seats some with have tables. Seemed to be enough to go around.

We were picked up by our son and driven to Roche Harbor where he booked one of the condos. There is an island grocery if you want to prepare your own and restaurants if you do not.

At the end of the night there is music as the flags are lowered.

Beautiful views are everywhere.Artists thrive here. What a surprise find to see the garden with metal sculptures.

The whales and black foxes were scarce when we were there. Learned about the Pig Wars, Lime Kiln and how power was brought to the island.

Shopping, eating, hiking, nature, history and relaxing.

Stayed: September 2018
Roche_Harbor_Resort, Front Office Manager at Roche Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hobbittravel,
Wow! Thank you for your review and write-up of your trip to the island. Sounds like you were able to have the full "Roche Harbor" experience - a relaxing escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The nightly Colors Ceremony is a tradition dating back to 1956 and the sculpture part is a unique venue showcasing the work of local artists. We're surrounded by history and hope you enjoyed taking it all in. Please join us again whenever you're in need of a breath of fresh air; we'll be here for you!

Reviewed 15 September 2018

Arrived at Roche Harbor Customs dock on our small (22ft) (8HP) sailboat only to be turned away by a CBP Officer (actually Port Director) as we didn't have a "bill of sale" for the boat. I've visited Roche Hbr several times over the years and my Passport and Hull ID # were all that was needed. I've owned the boat for 26 yrs. Asked if I could have a family member etransfer a document from my boatfile (a 2015 Insurance survey) and was told "anyone can do a survey. Go back to Canada". Really?....This Marina is awesome as are the San Juan Islanders but if you are arriving on a small boat < 10 HP (unregistered) from Canada BEWARE of changing Customs requirements and confrontational agents.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Roche_Harbor_Resort, Public Relations Manager at Roche Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

KED3,
Thank you for your review. The customs office on our docks is not affiliated with our business and while we understand there are legal requirements they must follow we still hope you had a an enjoyable time on the water in the San Juans. We love boats of all sizes and look forward to having you back with us soon!

Reviewed 9 September 2018

Even though everything seems to be made for the happiness of the tourists, it is still very enjoyable. Very neat and tidy, fantastic views of the sea and surrounding islands. Wonderful for a nice meal or sundowner.

Stayed: August 2018
Roche_Harbor_Resort, Guest Relations Manager at Roche Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

sushiDarmstadt,
Thank you for spending time with us here at Roche Harbor and for leaving your thoughts! We hope you enjoyed your time at the resort and were able to relax and escape from reality. We do our best to maintain our historical roots while still being world-class resort & hope to see you again in the future whenever you may be on San Juan Island. Thank you!

Reviewed 1 September 2018

As others have noted , the Hotel Haro is historic/old with shared bathrooms. Yes, the rooms are stuffy, and while the bathrooms did get dirty I'm not sure the staff could have done more to keep them clean considering.

I liked the free coffee in the lobby and the courtesy robes. I would suggest they put an ice-machine somewhere on the property because having to walk downstairs and ask for ice every time from the desk staff was a pain (we had to do this twice a day to keep our drinks chilled in the room).

I was less of a fan for the music being broadcast morning and night, and I also noted during my 3-night stay that the guests were not very diverse and these issues made me uncomfortable. Just something to consider when thinking about staying on this property - when I come back I'm going to book a room someplace in Friday Harbor.

Room Tip: No elevator - consider staying on the lower floor if stairs are an issue for you.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2018

Okay time for a long overdue 10-star review! I brought my mother out a few weeks ago to show her my favorite place (she’s never been). I’ve been to Roche Harbor before with my husband and kids, and we always have a wonderful time here, but never have we enjoyed such outstanding service as my mother and I did on this visit! Unfortunately I have forgotten a few names, but all staff deserves recognition. Alex who checked us in gave us a thorough rundown of resort ammenities and island activities and was outstanding! The local young man who drove us in a golf cart to our condo (which was BEAUTIFUL, the housekeeping staff at Roche Harbor has always been top notch) when we arrived was delightfully personable and professional. we had dinner at Madrona’s Bar, and my burger was one of the best i’ve ever had…my compliments to the chef! The flag ceremony was sharp as ever, all the young people involved in that did a highly respectable job...somehow my mother was mentioned by name for being a first time visitor! Whoever did that... what a lovely touch. We dipped into the historic hotel afterwards to find a VERY dynamic duo working at the desk. Olivia was a fount of knowledge about the resort’s history, and her counterpart (very unfortunately cannot remember her name… i believe she was from Wyoming) gave us invaluable information about the local bus system as well as transportation options to and from the island (we will definitely be trying out the direct shuttle from seatac the next time we come!) We enjoyed their company so much, we sat in the lobby and played a game of cribbage before bed! Finally, credit must be given to the overnight team that was on that night— fresh hot coffee at 5AM and a very warm early morning welcome from the man on duty. Oh! And breakfast was simply delightful! Tara at Lime Kiln Cafe is a superhero and has been for many past visits! I love Roche Harbor so much, and now my mother does too! THANK YOU ALL ROCHE HARBOR STAFF!!

Room Tip: Always call. Many options, and can be confusing if you try to do it online. Reservations staff is top of the line.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank sliceofpie320
Roche_Harbor_Resort, Front Office Manager at Roche Harbor Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your review of our humble home! I am so glad you that you feel at home here at Roche Harbor and a part of our resort family! Alex is definitely a rock star at the check-in process turning it into a launching pad for the rest of your stay! Peyton (the gentleman that drove you around in the cart) is definitely a person we are proud to have as a face of Roche Harbor. Colors is also personally my favorite activity of the Summer months! I love hearing the music echo over the harbor. Olivia and Stevie are a hoot as a pair; they balance each other very well and are a perfect for the evening crowds. They enjoy talking with all guests as much as guests enjoy talking to them! Both are definitely Roche Harbor historians as well!! Again, thank you for your fantastic review and feedback of Roche Harbor. I am so happy you could share your favorite place in the northwest with more members of your family! Maybe one day a family retreat!? We hope to see you again soon in the future!

Jacob Snyder - Front Desk Manager