Open today: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Reviewed 29 September 2018
telieshab
Garden Valley, Idaho
via mobile

All reviews stuart island kayak trip san juan islands bald eagles apple crisp great trip ranging in age vegetarian lunch harbor seals salmon each evening office staff tents and sleeping bags every meal overnight trip weather conditions open water
Reviewed 3 October 2018

I cannot say enough about how wonderful our tour was. We had a group of 12, but with 2 guides it was easily managed. For this trip, I was with my dad and sister, and although we are fairly outdoorsy (backpacking mostly) none of us had much experience in kayaking. Even though paddling 35 miles in 4 days may seem like a lot, it really was not difficult so don't be worried if you've never paddled before.

We also lucked out with the weather. We went the end of September (last trip of the season!) and had beautiful, clear skies, minimal wind, and it only got chilly at night and the early morning. We also got to see a lot of marine life.

Saved the best for last: our guides! We were a lucky group to have not one, but two fantastic guides. Matthew and Kevin were both very knowledgeable about the tides, islands, and local plants & animals. Their cooking was phenomenal (I'm talking 5-star cuisine) and I've never felt so doted on with them doing the cooking and the cleaning. Matthew and Kevin were both fun to be around and they made it a truly enjoyable trip.

Tom M, Owner at Outdoor Odysseys, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Anna! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your trip so thoroughly! Come back and paddle with us again. I'll be sure to pass your praise on to Matthew and Kevin. Your feedback is really important to us so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

My sister and I went on the 4 day trip with Outdoor Odysseys. It was a great trip. The guides were amazing! They interacted with everyone well and seemed to really enjoy their job. The food was delicious too! I would highly recommend this trip!!

Tom M, Owner at Outdoor Odysseys, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2018

We love the work we do here at Outdoor Odysseys and I warms my heart to know that it shows. We look forward to having you come out on the water with us again!

Reviewed 27 September 2018

I booked this as a solo trip for myself, needing some time to decompress at a hectic point in my life. Matthew, our guide, made everything so easy. Every aspect of the trip was extraordinary - the ocean, the meals (and where we ate them - I even learned some new recipes I used after returning home!), the people, the calm, the adventures, and of course being in such perfect nature. Even traveling with the group I was able to get solitude when needed. I've recommended this trip to everyone I know and would go back in a heartbeat.

Sheesh, we are so flattered that you got so much out of your trip with us. It means a lot when well traveled folks pass on such high praise. We appreciate you spreading the good word and hope you come paddle with us again!

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

Fantastic people! Great food! Beautiful islands! Outdoor Odyssey is very knowledgeable about the islands and wildlife. The kayaking is so much fun and they can adjust the trips to any experience level.

Kristin, we try our best and we are glad that your trip exceeded your expectations. We'd love to have you back!

Reviewed 26 September 2018

We went with Keith on a 4-day kayak trip. It was a great experience. Keith was awesome, a safe guide and made wonderful food for us. Our guide was very helpful and explained a lot of wildlife and history to us. We had a lot of fun and everything went super smooth.
The campsites were beautifully located and the whole trip was amazing.
I hope we will get a chance to come back.

The weather this September has been stellar and we are glad it lined up that way with your trip. I will let Keith know that you had such a great time!

Reviewed 26 September 2018

My best friend and I signed up for the 4 day paddle and camp and we had the best time! The guides were knowledgeable and so much fun. The scenery was beautiful. We saw a ton of wildlife (no whales but porpoises!) The camp spots were great. The food was AMAZING! I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is looking to paddle the San Juans!

Thank you thank you! We'd love to have you back!

Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

Went on a 4 day/ 3 night trip and it was everything you could ask for! The guides Pat and Mark were very knowledgeable of the area and all the wildlife. Had good kayaks and good food for the trip, plus my group was lucky enough to see all three of the resident orca pods together, J K and most of L pods. Our group was well diverse in people and skill levels and Pat and Mark were very accommodating to everyone. This was an amazing trip that I would fully recommend. Hands down one of my best vacations, thanks to Pat, Mark, and Outdoor Odyssey for making it happen!

Any time we are able to see whales it's always a special gift. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy and appreciate seeing those big guys in the wild. Don't be a stranger and bring your friends next summer!

Reviewed 8 September 2018

We had beautiful weather and a very personable, knowledgeable guide. Thanks to Mark, our guide, we learned about the history and sea life in the area. We saw numerous harbor seals and a juvenile eagle.
Got to see a bit of Friday Harbor after arriving on the 11:00 ferry before being picked up by Mark, promptly as promised. Highly recommend walking on the ferry at Anacortes as the beach where you launch the kayaks for the half day trip is only about a five minute drive away and Outdoor Odysseys picks you up near the ferry.
As two 60+ newcomers to kayaking we felt safe, relaxed and well-taken-care-of for the entire three hour outing. We had plenty of time to catch the outgoing 6:30pm ferry.

Tom M, Owner at Outdoor Odysseys, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2018

Our mission is to provide the most enjoyable, safe, and informative kayaking experience in the San Juan Islands. We are so glad you felt we lived up to that standard. We'd love to have you back for something longer now that you're 'seasoned' paddlers! I will definitely pass the praise on to Mark. Thank you for choosing Outdoor Odysseys.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

We are a family of four: 49, 44, 12, 9. We worked closely with our trip guide, Keith, and the staff to customize our 3 night, 4 day trip with another family.

Although physically challenging, they worked very hard to dial the trip into our specifications. We had asked for remote camping, less crowded, more space. The team delivered squarely on all counts. Instead of travelling to the more frequently visited 'West Side', Keith and Mark urged us to the East Side, which was much less traveled with beautiful, remote campsites.

Food was outstanding. My only gripe was that we had to do the dishes. Not a huge deal, but we were paying generously for the kitchen, after all. This minor complaint does not impact my overall impressions.

Keith and Mark were highly attuned to changes of weather, the currents, and changes of the mood of the group. They improvised when needed and made every effort to create a good experience for all involved.

Overall, I would highly recommend Sea Odysseas for novice or experienced kayakers. I am a better kayaker for it, and had the most hands-on experience of the San Juans I could have hoped for.

Tom M, Owner at Outdoor Odysseys, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Thank you thank you! I know that Keith and Mark had fun getting you all off the beaten path and to some of the less frequented corners of the San Juans. Family trips are always a blast and we always enjoy creating experiences where folks can share the outdoors with friends and family. We hope to see you again out here in the islands!

Reviewed 25 August 2018

We had a custom 3 night trip with 2 families (kids ranging from 9-14). We chose the eastern route as we wanted more remote campsites. Our guides Keith and Mark were great with the kids. They tailored the routing to our ability and allowed flexibility when we needed stops and longer play time on shore. We definitely experienced the San Juans to the fullest!

Tom M, Owner at Outdoor Odysseys, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2018

Custom tours are always so fun to organize and we love sharing this place with families. We are thrilled that Keith and Mark were able to meet/exceed your expectations. We'll welcome you back anytime and can create another new and off the beaten path itinerary for you!