Open today: 8:00 am - 7:00 pm

Morning Kayak trip Oct 1st

Reviewed 9 October 2018
dslater2018
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

All reviews day trip great trip harbor seals bald eagles guide sam san juan islands kayak tour see whales cooking skills entire group marine life french toast camping trip great guide answered all of our questions knowledgeable guides sea kayaking
Reviewed 4 days ago

We did the Whale Kayaking. First, though I realize this is not their fault, we saw not a glimmer of a whale. But it was a very beautiful place on a beautiful day in which we would have enjoyed just kayaking - but. I kayak often in Florida, so it is not as though I'm a novice. Also, I'm in pretty good shape for my age, workout, etc. My partner in decent shape also but not much kayaking experience. We were with a group of entirely younger people, 20's and 30's. I'm 65, partner, she's 59. Our guide Sam was aware of all this as each person fills out a form detailing all important personal information. He made this a very unpleasant experience. Though fairly knowledgeable, he was on the arrogant side and kind of full of himself, and we spent most of our time with him being dismissive and rude to us. We kept falling behind the group and he made no attempt to do even small adjustment for us. He verbally insulted my partner a couple of times stating he was going to tie us on to his kayak if she did not "pick it up". He gave the rest of the group periodic breaks to briefly rest; we were not afforded this opportunity. With much effort, we would catch up while the 20- somethings were "resting", we would not stop and continue to kayak on through so we could get ahead of them while they were "resting". Then with Sam in the lead, they would pass us, Sam would get annoyed with us, they would stop for another "rest", - repeat - repeat. We were never offered, not once, or took, not one break due to the pressure we were feeling from Sam. We were physically starting to hurt, this was very apparent, but this didn't faze our guide. He was not concerned with our comfort and or enjoyment. To add insult, when we finally got back, there were two doctors that were part of the group checking out my knee that had been previously hit and while looking at it, Sam abruptly and rudely told them to stop and get into the van for the trip back. We are talking about another 30 seconds to finish. Him getting back and off work was the only thing he was concerned with.
With another guide, maybe this would work.
We spent a lot of money and time on this? Definitely not worth it.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Highly recommend SeaQuest! They are environmentally aware, know the value of wildlife and therefore respect the wildlife, and they are very knowledgeable about the area which we explored. Our tour guide was Conner, and from start to finish we were treated to facts. Anything from the bullwhip kelp to the Harbor porpoises. He really went above an beyond to ensure his group had a brilliant time. As a diver and previous marine educator for the guests of hotels in Seychelles, I really valued Conner's knowledge, determination to make the group feel welcome and enjoy the duration of the trip.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Johnathan, our guide with Sea Quest Expeditions, watched the tides and currents, listened to the reports for orca sitings, and then helped us get underway every day of our 3 day kayaking and camping trip at the best times and in the best directions. He made it easy to cross ocean channels between islands, relaxed and chill. He watched the weather to keep us safe, and made sure the camping arrangements were perfectly setup. He trained us in pair kayaking and preserving energy through effective paddling style. He cooked us basically gourmet meals that I couldn't believe the ingredients of even fit in our kayaks (vegetable curries, rich omelettes). He was a biologist and could tell us anything we asked about resident flora, fauna, and life cycles. He took us on hikes, once to a scenic overlook to watch the sunset over the ocean, on the cliffs of an island resident to only 14 people (he heated brownies for us to eat with a blowtorch cliff-side). He fished off of his kayak to see if he could get fish for our evening meals. He pulled crabs out of the ocean with his hands to show us the kinds that were around. He told us stories, once about a game preserve on a local island leaving non-native deer species that still thrived, and then showed them to us. One night he took us on a nighttime group kayak out into the bay to let us see and feel the ocean at night, and then played and sang us songs on a Martin backpacker guitar that he had stowed somewhere. Basically my wife and I were enchanted with the whole thing (she kept saying "best vacation ever"), and the San Juan isles themselves are just breathtaking. Friday Harbor itself is also a pretty magical little town you get to on a really pretty exciting ferry system that travels between the main islands (there actually are something like between 400 and 800 total islands, depending on how high the tide and how big counts as an island, one of many lovely facts (tall tales?) Johnathan regaled us with ...and watching the islands stream by from the ferry deck is something). With this guy leading you really could be anywhere from 20s to 60s and this trip's kayaking and hikes would be no trouble and fun, and in fact calming (our group was, and it was). I'm not sure if all of the guides and trips are this great, but it's likely we'll find out when we do it again with Sea Quest, since we didn't happen to see orcas this time (can you believe we liked it this much without seeing orcas, just some seals and dolphins and eagles? ;) ). Also, end June seems a pretty great time to do this fyi, as our weather was perfect basically every day of our week long trip (we also did fairly nearby Seattle for the first time in this vacation, and it pairs well as a city to tour along with ocean kayaking).

Reviewed 9 October 2018

I cannot recommend this trip/company highly enough! Our guide, Conner, was fabulous. He was knowledgeable, energetic and patient while teaching the novice kayakers how to paddle, steer and control the kayak. I am particularly sensitive to being respectful of the wildlife and their habitat while being in their environment and this tour fit the bill 110%! Conner tackled the issue before we launched which was great and then put words into action while out in the water when the eagles, seals, etc approached. It was just so wonderful from beginning to end! Everyone had a great time and we will surely be back for a longer tour next time!

Reviewed 8 October 2018

Sam, our guide was not only very knowledgeable about all the wildlife especially the orcas, but had an understanding and ability to read the currents, knowledge of the tide and kept abreast of the weather making our trip very enjoyable. He is a great communicator, telling us what land mass we were aiming for and how to work with the current so as to make our paddling easier. He was easy going and a great cook. Our orca experience made the trip memorable for life.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Fantastic and memorable trip! Steve and I absolutely LOVED the two day kayak camping trip over Labor Day weekend. Our guide, Jonathan, was absolutely awesome. He was super knowledgeable about the ocean life and he was an amazing chef. We saw orcas, crabs, octopus, fish, seals, bald eagle, blue heron, and many other beautiful things. Dinner and breakfast at camp was amazing - I've been making the veggie ratatouille and tofu tacos at home. We loved chatting with Jonathan and the other guests on the trip. Really great experience and we will definitely kayak again with Sea Quest. The owner even emailed me hotel recommendations since we were booking last minute on a holiday weekend. Thank you guys for being so great!

Reviewed 1 October 2018

Our guide, Olivia, was awesome. She was knowledgeable of the area, the wildlife, and was clearly passionate about her job. On our kayak trip we saw a variety of wildlife from the kayak including bald eagles, harbor porpoises, harbor seals, and several types of jellyfish, which is a unique and memorable vantage point! We highly recommend this experience to anyone who is up for a little exercise and a beautiful, peaceful few hours on the water!

1  Thank jacobgerber
Reviewed 30 September 2018

Olivia was an excellent guide, and we really enjoyed our time on the water. We were also fortunate to have better-than-average weather for late September. Thank you!

Reviewed 23 September 2018

This was such a well organized trip--with lots of info ahead of time. We had a lovely paddle with Connor and Olivia. Connor was our main guide. He was knowledgable and had a good sense of humor. We did not see any whales/orcas, but the trip was enjoyable for it's fresh air, exercise, and ability to see other marine life. I will keep going until I get to see some Orcas! Connor estimated a 40% chance in Sept. We went Sept 22. This was the 6 hr tour...the 6 hrs included travel from Friday Harbor, and also set up and instruction, so not 6 hrs on water.

Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

We recently completed a 4-day kayak camping trip with Sea Quest. Overall, the trip was amazing. We saw orcas within the first hour. And again on the last day of the trip. The kayak gear was in good condition, could have been better, could have been worse. The camping gear provided (tent) was in very good condition. The highlight of the trip was our guide Connor. He was very knowledgeable about wildlife, kayaking, camping, and he knew all the best spots to stop at along the way. Beautiful vistas, viewpoints, islands, beaches, and waterways. The meals provided by Sea Quest were very good and diverse (Connor was an exquisite chef for us). Eggplant and squash pasta with polenta, coconut Thai curry, tacos, French toast, eggs, etc... all delicious.

I would recommend this trip to anyone who enjoys kayaking and camping. In 4 days, we traveled around 45-50 miles. Be advised, this is not completely a leisurely activity, there will be some work involved. According to my wife this was my first time "really camping" and I would highly recommend the overnight trips to anyone looking for adventure in a kayak with stunning views of the wildlife and islands of the area.