“Love this hotel”

Ranked #79 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Fargo
“Love this hotel”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Nice, clean hotel. Friendly staff. Rooms are great size with small kitchen. Grilling area outside. Wonderful breakfast.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
South Padre Island, Texas
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I always stay at this Ramada and it difinetely feels like home to me. I was personally welcomed back when I would get in in the evening and wished well when I left in the morning. I love the texas shape hot waffels in breakfast. I was very happy with every aspect of my stay and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I travel and stay at a location from 30 to 90 days depending on the length of the assignment. This was a 45 day stay. Breakfast every morning and a meal Monday through Thursday evening. I was personally welcomed back when I would get in in the evening and wished well when I left in the morning. I was very happy with every aspect of my stay and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Chose hotel based on TA reviews and location (near wedding). Despite excellent warnings from other reviewers about difficulties in finding the place (incl. using GPS directions), we still had problems finding it. Here's a tip: the adjacent La Quinta is tall enough to spot from surrounding streets--head to that and you'll see this hotel in its shadow).

Room was quite comfortable, clean, very nice. Smallish by suite standards, but completely fine for two, or a family with kids on the pull-out. Quiet despite sitting under the flyway of the intersection (not in a beauty spot)--we faced the La Quinta (maybe that helps). The AC runs somewhat noisily (good white noise).

Check-in manager was chatty, but set a bad tone at check-in: after acknowledging that he had my prepaid Expedia reservation at hand, he was momentarily confused by a slight naming mismatch on the credit card and reservation. At first it was "looks like they dropped you" (what did that mean, no reservation? no room"?) Then he shared how Expedia always screws things up, adds surcharges, and is "going away". He asked for the rate I had paid, and said "they're making a nice profit on that!" (i.e., you overpaid). I ignored all of this, but was irritated. I had used Tripadvisors rate check and know that the rate I paid was within a dollar of Marriott.com. The other "not good" experience was the aggressive shutdown of the otherwise good breakfast at the exact stroke of 9--food pulled away as guests reached for items.

The property is fine, but not a good choice for tourists (stay on the riverwalk or at a resort type hotel, or one near Sea World or other such destination). If this location is a good fit for other personal/business reasons, this is a good property and value (esp. if you call for the secret desk rate, apparently).

Room Tip: we faced the La Quinta and heard no highway noise.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Rick J
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel for a family reunion in San Antonio. Having recently stayed at an Embassy Suites in the same location last month, I had a lot to compare this hotel to. Unfortunately I was disappointed when I put both of them together and by check-in, I wish that I had stayed at the ES instead.

The hotel is very nice and it is kept up and clean. Parking is ample and the decor has a Spanish style to it. There is a patio near the swimming pool where you can relax and sit outside but I don't think it's non-smoking because there were ashtrays on the tables. The free internet is nice and there is a nice signal everywhere you go.

I personally didn't take advantage of the breakfast so I can't comment there but other family members were pleased with the availability and they complimented the food.

The room for me was the most disappointing. For the same price I could of stayed at the ES and I would have been better off because these rooms at the Marriott are not separate from the kitchen. The only advantage this room had over the ES was that there was a stove which we did not use and a larger refrigerator which made it nice since we were traveling with kids. This would be a nice room for 1 person and 2 at most and definitely not big enough for a family of 4 with small children.

The staff is friendly and I was allowed a late check-out but I don't think I would stay here again if the price is the same as the ES.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family