“Once a SA Institution, Now Tired and Sad”
Review of Alamo Cafe

Alamo Cafe
Ranked #149 of 4,965 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Far North Central
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I started going to Alamo Cafe over 30 years ago when the business was just north of 410 on San Pedro. I went there a LOT. My girlfriend even worked there. I spent a lot of time eating my way through the menu. It was decent Mexican food (what we call Tex-Mex), the chicken fried steak was solid, and the tortillas were great. My, how things have changed.

The sprawling location several miles North of the original was appalling on almost every level. The crowd was dressed extremely casually—I’m taking sweat pants and flip-flops. The room was dirty, humid, and had a fetid smell. Many let their children run feral between tables and in walkways. The room was so loud I had to ask my daughter, seated next to me, to repeat herself often (I have good hearing). Over five tables remained un-bused for quite a while, and lastly the food was incredibly sub-standard—the beans were too thin, the rice was sticky, the chicken fried steak seemed straight out of the freezer, the salsa tasted canned, and the skinny margaritas were a mix or pre-made. The server was fine—doing what he could given the circumstance.

I guess a tourist might like the kitschy decor, but my family will not be returning. It’s a shame to have lost what was once such a good, local choice.

Customer S, General Manager at Alamo Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

We are sorry to hear your most recent experience did not meet expectations. Given the chance, we would like to further discuss it with you privately. At your earliest convenience, please contact us using the contact page on our website.

Ryan

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Very little flavor & zero soul in anything at this restaurant.

Even the extra spicy michelada was bland.

This restaurant is always very busy. I go there only because others choose it for social gatherings.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Alamo Café, the San Pedro location, is a "don't miss" spot for locals and tourists alike. The atmosphere is excellent, whether siting inside, at the bar, or on the patios. Very good food at a surprising low price. Margaritas = A-, tortillas = A-, fajitas = A+, hot sauce = B, friendliness & service = A. This place is busy noon and night, however it's a large restaurant so the wait time is usually very minimal. Family oriented, great spot!

Reviewed 5 March 2018

We have been eating at this restaurant for decades - this was the last time! The service was extremely slow, non-attentive, and failed to deliver tortillas or refill chips. Found a manager to get help with chips and tortillas. One tortilla warmer for a large 7-person table. Contacted the manager again when food did not arrive. The food finally arrived and the sizzling chicken fajita skillet actually had charcoal pieces lying by the meat - see photo. The pico de gallo was non-existent and unripe tomatoes. Contacted the manager for a third time and he agreed the charcoal was unacceptable - replaced the chicken and comped the fajitas. It was about one hour too late to fix this horrible experience. There are a million Mexican restaurants in San Antonio - for goodness sake, go to one of them.

Customer S, General Manager at Alamo Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

We are very sorry to hear about your most recent experience. Given the chance, we would like further discuss it with you in hopes to make it right. At your earliest convenience, please contact us using the contact page on our website.

Ryan

Reviewed 4 March 2018

First time I have been there - the food was good (didn't try the margarita though). This was a private party for a fairly large group - we were there for three hours celebrating a 80th birthday (family member). Felt the staff did a very good job dealing with this large group.