“Comfortable Stay in the Historic District”
We love front porches in South Town!
The king bedroom with Sterns and Foster mattress is all about comfort. Another master bedroom angle
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
We love front porches in South Town!
The king bedroom with Sterns and Foster mattress is all about comfort.
Another master bedroom angle
1920s piano graces the front bedroom, which features a plush Indian carpet and 19th C armoire.
Bright and comfortable double bed in the rear bedroom is an adjustable and massaging bed!
Our 'farmhouse in the city' has a full kitchen with all you need.
The kitchen was originally the back porch. Note the window to the living room. Long leaf pine floors
Window to living room makes the cook feel connected!
The floor plan is open from the back 'porch room' with  sleep/sofa all the way to the livingroom.
Our front porch.
1920s clawfoot tub is original to house. With shower surround in master bathroom.
Throug the kitchen window toward the living room. A sofa slipcover
Flat screen TV and comfortable, casual seating  emphasizes a relaxed at-home feel.
The second bathroom has a modern tub and shower but still reveals plenty of character of the house!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Parisgirl...
Paris, France
“Comfortable Stay in the Historic District”
Reviewed 7 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
person found this review helpful

Our family group of eight - five adults and three children ages 8-11, stayed three nights in this Historic District home. It has been uniquely remodeled to modernize the kitchen and bathrooms while keeping the old, historic nature of the house. The neighborhood was comfortable and safe and very close to the RiverWalk and Alamo. Not a lot of tourists in this neighborhood, so streets were not busy, and you could walk to restaurants which were only a few blocks away. We truly had a comfortable stay and will book here again when we come to San Antonio.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Although the house was old, it had the atmosphere of being at home.
Liked least: Yard was a bit run down...
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
v ak
Reviewed 30 March 2014 for a stay in July 2012
person found this review helpful

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway
Ld0ubleE
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great house & Perfect location”
Reviewed 8 November 2013 for a stay in September 2013

I wanted to have a golf trip and also do family time and this location worked out wonderfully. We travelled with a 8 month old and were very happy with how Retha accomodated us and made sure we had everything we needed. The house is great with a lot of historic nuances to it. We were able to walk to the Riverwalk when the heat allowed and additionally all the golf courses we picked were a short driving distance. Actually enjoyed Rosario's restaurant not too far from the house over the restaurants on the River Walk.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Dallas
Reviewed 12 June 2012 for a stay in May 2012
people found this review helpful

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers
VirginiaP...
Virginia
“Convenient, yes, BUT...”
Reviewed 8 April 2012 for a stay in April 2012
people found this review helpful

This property in a gentrifying neighborhood does give easy access to the Riverwalk, La Villita, and other downtown locations. The #42 bus, which runs nearby, goes out to the missions, and another whose number I don’t remember provides connection to other areas in the metro area. The streetcar also has a nearby stop. This information we discovered by trial and error, for there was no basic written information provided about such matters, nor were there instructions about whom to call in case of an emergency with the house. When we received the final invoice the night before our departure, we noted such a number listed – too little, too late. We would also have appreciated learning the first day where, within walking distance, we could find basic groceries.

When traveling, besides convenience, one also needs security and privacy, neither of which is provided by this house, which has flimsy, at best, locks on its four exterior doors. The front door, which is multicolor except for the clear glass in the knob area, shows signs of irregular entry. That was not a reassuring sign.

Nor were we put at ease by the lack of privacy shades in the bedrooms. Although the beds were comfortable, we did not rest easy. We appreciated, however, that the house was clean and the kitchen well-equipped, though the dishwasher, as is often the case in rentals, does only a haphazard cleaning job.

One can argue that the house, with its abundant authentically “distressed” wood, is “charming,” “shabby chic,” or “a work in progress,” but where safety and privacy are concerned, there can be no compromising. For that reason, we would not recommend this property.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the convenient location of the property
Liked least: Locks were flimsy and privacy nonexistent
Travelling group: Other
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
8 Apr 2012
It is always distressing to me when our guests have a less than optimal experience. I was unfortunately out of the country when this couple (two female friends of mature years) arrived and wasn't able to personally help them sort out any questions they might have about the neighborhood stop, etc. There is information about that (as well as bike paths, walking paths, groceries, etc) in a cubby on the living room desk! I'm so sorry that these guests didn't explore that -- I think it's self evident where to find it, but I guess you do have to be curious to poke around and read the fliers. They also didn't read their reservation confirmation e-mail, because all the information on their final bill was also there (it's sent after you book).

It's even more distressing when my guests are having a bad experience and they don't tell me! I returned from Mexico and spoke with these women a few times and at no time did they express any concerns or give me a chance to allay them. I have other properties in San Antonio, including one in a very suburban-looking area where all the genteel houses are already renovated and where I suspect that they would have felt more comfortable.

As to safety: This is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city, as evidenced by the police reports as well as by all the friendly neighbors -- who will come help you figure things out if you are the kind of person who interacts with them rather than automatically fears them! The front door has been left in the condition I inherited it eleven years ago. I wanted to keep the original glass and haven't found a glass guy who can replace the clear section (which was indeed the result of some kind of wrongful entry, but long before my time and when the neighborhood was distressed instead of desirable) with original material.

All of the bedrooms have curtains that cannot be seen through from the outside. I don't know what privacy shades would do that proper curtains don't, but I assume this visitor had some sort of specific window treatment in mind. There is not a privacy curtain in the kitchen, but there are in the living room.

The dishwasher is a $900 KitchenAid, and very quiet. I clean with it between guests and don't generally have a problem. I suspect that the off-brand detergent which some guest left behind may be the culprit. I personally use Cascade and when I outfit the house that's what I buy. If any guest is concerned, see me personally (I'm across the street) and I'll supply Cascade! Actually, I did resupply this guest with other items -- toilet paper and paper towels -- that guest are generally responsible for resupplying. I also helped them out with some other issues they had during their stay. No mention of that in their review!

It's sad to me that a guest wouldn't recommend us, but after two years doing this, I know the guests best suited to our home are different from the traditional hotel guest or the fidgety suburbanite. As the vacation rental industry grows, more and more folks are requesting to come who really don't "fit" with this house and its environs. This is a unique urban neighborhood of children and families, senior citizens, cats, dogs, bikers and walkers, of mixed ethnicity, races, and incomes. It is diverse, but safe and neighborly. We look out for each other and are very proud to be stewards of this one-of-a-kind environment.

I'm ultimately kind of glad that they posted this review -- because if you are not curious and exploring, willing to ask questions, and eager to engage with a real neighborhood, you may feel as they do in this downtown zone. Most of our guests love the home and the area. Please call and get more information if you have any questions about how this neighborhood might fit for you and your family. We think it's wonderful -- and we only want guests who will experience that wonder as well!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing