“Homey and comfortable once again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York
“Homey and comfortable once again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

I stopped by on my way back to New York for a bit of relaxation for the second time and stayed in the Appleton room, a quiet and cozy spot on the third floor. The decor was wonderful and the room was bright and simple. Once again Flora picked me up from the train station. The food was as good as I remembered it, and the variety of fresh fruit in the morning was something I looked forward to.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank lliynx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Eden, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Very disappointed. Very warm when we stayed but still expected to be comfortable in our room and in common areas. Air conditioner was 10+ yrs old and wasn't very efficient and was very loud. Had a couple window fans in common areas but it still was 98 degrees. We were asked to take shoes off when we walked in. I understand this normally, however rugs were very dirty. I will never stay again. I have stayed in several bed and breakfasts before and was very happy, this one makes me want to get a hotel from now on. I just wanted to be comfortable. I did ask for a refund when I got there or a different room/ air conditioner because it was very hard for me to breath due to asthma and I was told No Refunds and I don't have any other rooms so I was given a dusty old box fan. Stay at another bed and breakfast or a hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank deepred66
northey, Owner at Northey Street House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Thank you for expressing your view. We have had many guests stayed here in the warmer months of June and July, a number of which have taken the time to write favorable reviews on Tripadvisor. None, including guests who were here at same time as you, have found the air conditioners to be "very loud" nor the rugs to be "very dirty". I'm sure they would of mentioned it if that was the case. Our carpets are professionally green cleaned once a year and we routinely vacuum and spot clean them.

We do ask guest to leave their shoes (along with the germs from shoe bottoms) at the front or back door so we can maintain a healthy indoor environment for all our guests. We provide a basket of slippers which are washed after guests have left. Most guests gladly comply and either have already or are eager to adopt the same house rule when they return home.

We have a standard 14 day cancellation policy. I did offer to replace the AC unit with a new one if there was a problem with it. However, I found it was working well. I found no problems with it and neither did the guests before or after you. Again, if there is ever a problem with our room(s), I would gladly refunded our guests fully. In your case, there was not a problem. The Woodbury below the Captain's where you stayed has the exact same AC unit and the guests there had no issues with it. I do understand that you were uncomfortable due to the record heat (100 degrees) and humidity during those days and were further exasperated by your asthma. I assure you, you were not alone in feeling uncomfortable.

Here, in the North East, we generally do not get many heat/humidity waves like the one you experienced in the 3 days that you happened to be here. A couple of window fans usually does the job of cross ventilating the rooms. When you asked for a fan, I only had the commercial box fan available. It had been covered and stored. I made sure to wipe it down well so I know it was not "dusty". You told me the fan helped. I'm also glad we were able to provide you with plenty of ice & beverages. I wish you the best in your future travels.

Shalom,
Flora
Elkland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

While visiting the Boston and Salem areas we stayed at the Northey Street House B&B. Our room clean and spacious, and the bed was very comfortable. Flora is a welcoming and friendly hostess, as well as an imaginative cook! We have lots of great memories from our trip, and staying at the Northey Street House is also a great memory!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lindaanddave1981
Martinsville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Excellent location. Within easy walking distance to old town and most points of interest. Off street parking on a quiet residential street is very convenient. This was our second stay and will certainly return.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank visitinggrandpa
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed with Flora the innkeeper for two nights in July. The room was conveniently located to everything, yet on a quiet street away from the noise and tourist attractions. The room was well appointed, comfortable and very clean. Flora is a great host and her breakfast scones, fruit bowl and quiche are a great way to start the day. I recommend this location to anyone wanting to explore north of Boston and Cape Ann.

Room Tip: Garden room was new and private.