“Great atmosphere and even better food”
Review of Opus

Ranked #15 of 225 Restaurants in Salem
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2017

You can't go wrong with Opus. Haven't had a bad meal yet, and we go there quite frequently. They have a fantastic burger, steak frites are outstanding, bacon wrapped medjool dates are a must try. The wife orders Sushi and I'm not a big fan of it, but opus is a different story. They have fantastic sushi, and their presentations are fantastic. If you're in Salem, this place is a must. A bit pricier than average, but well worth it.

Mark M, Manager at Opus, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2017

Dear John,
Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing review. It truly warms my heart to read reviews such as yours. I am delighted you enjoy the food and we hope you dine with us again soon.
Warmest Wishes,
Stefanie O'Neill
Manager

Reviewed 31 January 2017

We’ve heard some good buzz about Opus and were excited to check it out. The wait was 45 minutes at 6 p.m. on a Saturday, so the hostess encouraged us to get a drink in the lounge. She took our number to text us when a table became available, which we thought was a nice touch. The lounge area is downstairs and has a stark, yet comfortable vibe. Bands play down here, so there’s lots of open space for dancing, as well as couches and comfy seats to have a drink and relax. The full menu is also available downstairs. The bar is on the far wall and has about 5 stools. There were 4 people ahead of us and one bartender. It took half an hour to get our drinks. The bartender apologized for the wait and was cheerful enough, but he seemed pretty stressed out. Once we got our drinks, we played a few of the arcade games and within minutes, we received a text that our table was ready.

We were seated near the sushi bar, which I appreciated since I love watching the chefs at work. Our waitress was cheerful and outgoing; she asked if we had any questions about the menu and gave us some time to look over the menu since it was our first visit. We ordered some sushi, the pork belly tacos and the wild boar ragout to start. We asked for some time between the sushi and the apps, which she said was no problem. The yellowtail was fresh and delicious and the scorpion roll had good flavors and a nice crunch. There was a nice delay between the sushi and the apps, which I always appreciate. While we waited, we ordered another round of drinks. The Lust for Life was phenomenal – not too sweet, with just the right amount of ginger. The pork belly tacos were my favorite part of the meal – fresh corn tortillas, perfectly seared yet fatty pork belly and a sweet mango salsa. Two come in the order, but we could have eaten more! The wild boar ragout was okay, but it came with a creamy cheese polenta that was the best I’ve ever had. We still had some room left, so we ordered a spicy rainbow roll that was also fresh and delicious.

The place was hopping early on a Saturday night, which we took as a good sign. There were lots of young people at the bar and families dining in the main restaurant. I thought it was pretty cool that a little girl was sitting at the sushi bar and enjoying herself very much. Tables aren’t too close together and the acoustics are good; you can hear the background music even above the din of the diners. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable, and the food was terrific. Despite the initial wait for our drinks, we will definitely be back again!

Hello bugrad06,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtfully detailed review. I am thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience upstairs with your food, drinks, and service. I do apologize however for the delay for your drinks in the Underground. As you mentioned in your review, we went on a 45 minute wait by 6. That is a little bit unusual, and the overflow from the dining room made it so that the volume of guests in the Underground was much higher than it normally would be at that time. That being said, it is unacceptable to have to wait that long for a drink for any reason. Actually because of this night, I have started scheduling an additional bartender earlier in the evening to prevent this from happening again. I am glad to hear that you will be joining us again, and please introduce yourself as I would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you.
Warmest Regards,
Jane Murdoch

Reviewed 30 January 2017

Try a new cocktail, just tell the server what you like and they will come back with something fabulous! Especially if you like to try something new. True with the food as well. And if you are not sure, they sometimes bring over a little taste. I was warned about a drink I wanted to try and the waiter insisted that I give it a try first, and I'm glad she did. It was a little beyond my comfort zone.

Hello Heidi,
Thank you so much for the kind words! This is exactly what we love to hear. Some of our cocktails can be pretty adventurous, so I always encourage our servers and bartenders to give out samples. It's great because you get to try something really different without committing to an entire drink that may not be to your taste. Feel free to ask for a taste of anything that you are unsure of, (or just curious about,) and we will make it happen. I hope you dine with us again soon.
Cheers,
Jane Murdoch

Reviewed 18 January 2017

This was our second trip to Salem, Ma and our second trip to Opus. We went the first time in October for dinner and it was delicious. My husband got a burger, it was cooked to perfection. We got a sushi app and it was perfect. We also had specialty cocktails and they were divine. Then we met a friend for brunch this past Sunday. Limited menu but all items looked amazing. The guys got a the "molten" avocado and I got the pork belly tacos with over easy eggs. Atmosphere, Blood Mary's, food, adn service once again was great. This place is a pure joy to visit.

Hello nancydutra,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a wonderful review! I am so thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed every one of your visits to Opus. I hope you join us again the next time you visit our fine city.
Cheers, Jane Murdoch

Reviewed 22 December 2016

So we had planned to go to Firenze, but it was closed, so we ended up here. It was a great alternative and we likely wouldn't have known about it otherwise which would have been a shame! The service was great and the food was really delicious. So happy we had dinner here!

Been to Opus? Share your experiences!