“Excellent lunch!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: New restaurant.
Reviewed 10 November 2017

We spent a beautiful October day in Salem and lunch at Scratch Kitchen was an absolute delight. The restaurant boasts locally sourced ingredients and everything is cooked from scratch daily ; no pre-made,processed, or instant food! Our server was cheerful and efficient, had great recommendations, and even on a very busy day (Salem in October = crowds) had us seated and fed quickly. I ordered the BLT and my husband had the brisket sandwich and a cup of the day's soup - a hearty tomato parmesan. We shared an order of the house made chips. Oh my word, every bite was delish! The brisket was on rye with "atomic brown mustard" and my husband is still raving about it. The soup was bursting with flavor. My BLT was chock full of bacon and very fresh lettuce and tomato. The bread was house made and wonderful. Even though this was just a quick stop while sightseeing it turned out to be a fabulous and relaxing lunch. Great location, great menu, great service, and great prices. I'd go again! Highly recommend!

Reviewed 2 November 2017

It was lunchtime and we chose to eat here as it had an appealing American charm about it. We ended up sharing a filling Heritage Ham sandwich with a side of slaw and a root beer. Nothing fancy, just wholesome food.

1  Thank Swedishtomcat
Reviewed 24 October 2017

We decided to stop by at this place during our trip in Salem after a day visiting museums. I didnt have any expectations and this restaurant has been a great surprise! All the food is cooked from scratch with local ingredients, which is something I personnaly appreciate. I took the Ode to Elvis sandwich, and it was AWESOME, realy loved it! You got to try this if you like sweet and salty food. We also took a local beer and it was pretty good, not too expensive. Our waiter was friendly and the service was good, everyone we met here made sure that we had a good time. Thanks to all the staff : )

Reviewed 21 October 2017

We stopped at Scratch Kitchen for lunch, based mainly on Trip Advisor reviews. I'm not sure why there are so many "excellents" for this restaurant. Don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly good sandwich/burger place; but my spouse and I didn't really find anything exceptional about it when considering, food, service, and ambience. The decor is functional, the service was personality-free, and the food was good. Prices were in line with my expectations for a restaurant in a tourist area.

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I went here during our trip in Salem.....it looks like it could be a great restaurant if they had the management. While we were there, we had to wait a while for a table which we didn’t mind. Other people were upset because they could not tell them an estimated time. The woman working was very overwhelmed and it seemed that they were short staffed. When our names were called the woman took us to a table, grabbed a napkin, “wiped” the table, threw the napkin on the floor, and said here. We waited fifteen minutes until someone came to take our drink order. Then another ten minutes went by and we got our drinks then put our food order in. It was about twenty thirty minutes until we had our food. We didn’t mind bc we were being entertained by the staff yelling orders at each other or getting mad because people left without paying. When our food came, they missed a few items. We did not have utensils and couldn’t get anyone’s attention to get some. Half way through our meal the rest of our order came out and that point it was pointless. The food seemed okay. I just hope they can get some staff as it could be something cool and old fashioned in a good way.

Been to Scratch Kitchen? Share your experiences!