“Best Grilled Cheese Ever”
Review of Scratch Kitchen

Scratch Kitchen
Ranked #34 of 230 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: New restaurant.
Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

Went over Halloween weekend with the family. We LOVED the grilled cheese, chips and fries. The adults liked the mac and cheese but the kids not so much. I had an apple cider mimosa which was good! We were waited on by the manager which as delightful! The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because my daughter pointed out sides are not included. They were also out of several things which may have been poor planning or because those items are in high demand.

Reviewed 26 October 2016

We had the fish taco and grilled cheese, with fries. A bit pricey for what you get but it was good food, no complaints. They boast that their bacon is the best but I didn't try it.

Reviewed 19 October 2016

Very disappointed in my cup of clam chowder ordered from their menu in the restaurant. It even stated on the menu that Warning: this chowder is so thick your spoon will stand up by itself. Well, my clam chowder was so watery it was actually a lite soup. I have never seen this before. I asked the waitress about the chowder and she gave a lame excuse about the recipe being a very old recipe, the cream they used was to enhance the bacon, and other weird statements. I should have returned my 'soup' but I was tired and hungry. I quickly 'drank' down my soup, paid the bill, and will never return. Scratch Kitchen needs to learn the difference between soup and chowder.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

You walk into this place and you know you've struck gold: farm to table philosophy, home-made food, simple decor...what's not to love?
My colleague and I ordered the Elvis: a peanut butter, jelly and bacon sandwich. I just had to try it. I mean, how many menus feature that? Besides, if it bombed, it's not like I live in Salem or ever have to go back again. And this wasn't just peanut butter and jelly, either. It was some special kind of peanut butter and jelly and the home-cured bacon was excellent. I don't think I've ever had a warmed PB&J, but this was warm and gran-tastic. And I know for a fact that I've never had a PB&J&B.
I can't wait to go back!
But here's the thing: prepare to wait. It may very well have just been a bad day for them. They seemed to be low on help and it took a while for us to place an order. It took a while for us to get our food. And it took a while to get the check. Longfellow must've visited this place when he penned his adage: "Good things come to those who wait." I think it was Longfellow. Wait, let me check...

1  Thank Brianimated
Reviewed 13 October 2016

After spending a five hr trip to Salem, seeing attractions and a live show, needed a bit to eat to bring back to the room to retire. I ordered a chopped salad that was not chopped and difficult to eat. It was tasty but somewhat bland. Would not go back.

Been to Scratch Kitchen? Share your experiences!