“Great Atmosphere, Wonderful Staff!”
Review of Hawthorne Hotel

Hawthorne Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Salem
Albany, New York
“Great Atmosphere, Wonderful Staff!”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I have just stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel for 6 nights. It was a very relaxing, enjoyable experience. The interior is very charming. Beautiful furnishings, fresh-cuts flowers, pleasant lighting. My room was immaculate and also charming. One has a very comfortable "homey" feeling in the rooms they provide. The staff were exceptionally professional and amiable, particularly the woman on duty late night Thursday( 5/8), who helped me to extend my room for another night. The food was excellent ( I ordered room service throughout my stay) and affordable. Although they are doing renovations at the hotel, this was not an issue in the least. Each worker that I encountered was just as friendly and accommodating as the hotel staff. The internet connection was a bit sluggish, but this is more a issue with their internet provider, not the hotel. I am returning to Salem in early April and will defnitely be staying at the Hawthorne again! Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Antonia C:

Thank you so much for the very kind review. You painted an excellent “word picture” what what a stay in our historic hotel is like.

I am so pleased to read that you noticed our very fair pricing for room service. I think personally that the two things that some hotels do to annoy me are to charge for Wi-Fi and to overcharge for Room Service meals. Since I do have control over this hotel and how we run things, I have chosen to stop that petty behavior here, and make sure that our guests are treated the way I like to be treated when I travel.

You are correct on your assessment of our Wi-Fi service, by the way, and we are working to solicit proposals for all-new Wi-Fi, including new equipment, more bandwidth, and better service from the providing company. I’m not sure it will be installed by early April, but I hope you will still come for a visit. Be sure to ask me in advance what else you can do to get on the Internet while you are here. I may have a couple of suggestions that could assist you.

Thank you also for noticing the friendly service staff. We do work very hard to keep this kind of service the model for what all of our guests receive.

We sincerely appreciate your kind review, and look forward to your return.

Sincerely

Juli Lederhaus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Turkish first
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed in the Hawthorne for 3 days at the end of February 2012 while some renovations were being undertaken. This was only very minor inconvenience and staff did all they could to keep any such inconvenience to a minimum. I have NEVER in my life met friendlier, nicer or more helpful front desk staff - just a real surprise in this day and age! The Hotel itself was built in 1925 and is beautifully kept (and obviously still being kept to a high standard - hence the renovations ) and it is JUST REALLY REALLY WONDERFUL. I can hardly wait to bring my wife and kids back to the Hawthorne this summer for Red Sox baseball - and it is just an easy 10 minute walk to the railway station then a pleasant 30 min train ride to North Station Boston where you can catch the subway to Fenway. It is close to everything in Salem too. What a discovery! Do yourself a favor and stay at this place - it is from another - much grander - era. I just loved it as you can tell. Free parking too. An free wi fi. And the TV in my room was crystal clear HD quality not like many other more expensive Hotels I have stayed in. AND they upgraded my room! Wow what a class act the Hawthorne is! Mark the aussie.

Room Tip: Maybe do not ask for room 612 unless you LIKE ghosties....it is reputed to be haunted.....I was on t...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Dear Secretsquirrel1888k/aka Mark the Aussie:

You are exactly right on the money in your assessment of the historic Hawthorne Hotel. We know that there are two very critical areas of the hotel business -- maintaining the property in excellent physical condition AND providing excellence in customer service.

It appears that your visit showed you that we do indeed measure up in both those critical areas. Thank you so very much for sharing your perspective in this forum.

You are also very correct in pointing out how convenient it is to stay at the Hawthorne Hotel for any visit to Boston. Our prices are generally around half of what a stay in a comparable hotel would be in Boston, yet we are very conveniently located to the excellent commuter rail service to Boston, being less than a five-minute walk away. So while we may be located a little farther away from Boston itself then some of the suburban Boston hotels, it is much easier to get to there by staying at the Hawthorne due to our proximity to the rail.

Thank you too for noting all of the items we provide for free, such as parking, Wi-Fi, excellent high-definition television service, and wonderful food and beverages.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the historic Hawthorne Hotel with your family!

New York, NY, United States
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This was my first time staying at the Hawthorne. Previously I have stayed in Salem at a bed and breakfast.

The staff was very sweet and polite. The front desk manager was especially kind, when she found out I was proposing to my gf that weekend she upgraded our room!

The room itself was beautiful, balanced the lovely design of an old hotel, with modern functionality and comfort. The bathroom was full of natural light. The hotel location was perfect. Right next to Salem commons and walking distance to restaurants, the water, bakery, and bars.

I'll definitely be staying again.

Something to note. Construction was going on while we where there. They warned us about it through email. I never heard any noise, saw any workers and really just noticed one sign of construction down a hallway we had no need to go down (floor covered). I think they are doing a good job of not having the work disturb the guests.

Room Tip: Room 512 was quiet and had nice views
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2012
Dear Christopher P:

Congratulations on your engagement! It was so nice of you to share that special moment with our historic hotel.

We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to write this review for us, as it is so helpful when guests do this for other travelers.

Our construction is still underway, but is scheduled to be complete by the end of April, and all indications are that we will finish on time.

Thank you so much for pointing out what a delightful front office manager we have. Lucie Ogeron began working for us as an intern, and gradually worked her way up to this position. She knows how important great customer service is, and she works hard to provide it, both from her own customer interactions to the way she trains her team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Perhaps your wedding reception might happen here!!

Kindest regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Whenever I'm in Salem, MA the first choice (and only choice) for hotel accomodations is the beautiful Hawthorne Hotel. Conveniently located in the center of town, you can walk to all the local attractions. The rooms are big, clean and very comfortable. The staff is second to none when it comes to customer satisfaction. Friendly, courteous and very helpful. The restaurant is equally cozy and charming and has a terrific selection of great food. For me and my family, there is no other hotel in Salem.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear James S.

Thank you so very much for returning to the Hawthorne Hotel. We sincerely appreciate the fact that you feel we are the only place to stay in Salem.

I have shared your kind comments with our staff, from the housekeepers to the front desk to the culinary team and dining services, we all work hard to insure that our guests receive the highest level of hospitality here at the Hawthorne.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kindest regards,

Portland, Maine
Reviewed 25 February 2012

This past weekend my partner and I stayed at the Hawthorne Hotel. Our visit was phenomenal and that we have every intention of staying at the Hawthorne during subsequent visits. Salem is one of our favorite weekend getaway spots, but we don't generally spend the evening in the city. We've officially decided that we will from now on. The Hawthorne Hotel is both beautiful and staffed by people who are extremely friendly and professional. Our room was spotless and well-kept. We were consistently impressed by the way the hotel has managed to maintain a warm historic feel while also providing modern accommodations. We literally have nothing but compliments to give regarding our visit! My partner and I are very careful about the hotels we choose to stay at, and both feel as though the Hawthorne is a great place to stay in Salem (at a very reasonable rate). We will be returning again - and look forward to it.

Room Tip: We chose the least expensive room listed on the site, and it was STILL a great room. I imagine that...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ajarfullofwords
HawthorneHotelGM, General Manager at Hawthorne Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear ajarfullofwords:

Thank you so very much for writing this extremely helpful review of your stay in the historic Hawthorne Hotel. It appears that we provided exactly what you were seeking in choosing our hotel.

We are blushing madly at all your kind compliments, and cannot wait to welcome you again.

Thank you again for writing.

Juli Lederhaus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
0.2 km away
0.7 km away
The Salem Inn
The Salem Inn
#6 of 9 in Salem

Been to Hawthorne Hotel? Share your experiences!