“Very disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012 via mobile

After reading many reviews here regarding the Westin in Tucson, it seemed like a very nice place and I was excited to stay there even if it was only one night. After booking the room ( I choose a Master Suite because I have twin two year olds) I was impressed with all the follow up by the Westin prior to my arrival to see if I had any special needs. When I booked the room I requested two cribs and two high chairs, when the person in charge of guest relations emailed me I made the same request, and when I spoke with the guest relations person on the phone I again made the same requests. I suppose I should have been suspicious since each time my requests seemed news to them!
When we arrived, there was only one crib, I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't made such a point about it and if I didn't have two crying and exhausted toddlers to deal with on top of getting the other crib and high hairs to our room ASAP! It took several calls to get the second crib and several more calls to get the dirty and sticky high chairs. Everyone was very nice when I spoke to them but nice doesn't cut it when you're paying $350/night. The fridge was broken in my room so I took my ice chest to the ice machine ( so my kids milk wouldn't spoil) and the ce machine was also broken. Took 3-4 calls and about 45 minutes to get ice brought to my room.
Saving the worst for last, this was the last straw for a supposed 5 star resort, the ROOM SERVICE was an absolute insult. First the menu itself seemed really basic but that doesn't always mean it will be bad ( I was an Executve Chef for 14 years). I ordered a med well hamburger that arrived RARE, also a pizza that arrived burnt...and tasted like a frozen pizza, so so bad. My kids food, was normal hotel boring and pretty bad. I thought maybe I would eat their food since they were so tired they fell asleep without eating. It was most definitely not good food, reheated frozen chicken strips and over salted fries, the grilled cheese was fine.
Every issue I had I explained to them over what I felt was an absurd amount of phone calls. Again they were VERY NICE but good service is more than being friendly, EXECUTION is everything. Paying the price I did I thought I was guaranteed to a smooth and relaxing night after an exhausting day of travel....but I should have picked the high places I know well, Loew's, Four Seasons, etc.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Joni H
TheWestinLaPaloma, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Thank you for your posting and I am truly sorry that we were not able to provide you the experience you expected upon your arrival. It is always unfortunate and concerning when any guest is disappointed. We appreciate your comments, as this will enable us to review so we may improve. We would like you to return to La Paloma I’m sure your children will enjoy the slide and pool.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

The purpose of this trip was to spend some time with our grand kids and give our daughter and son-in-law a little vacation from their daily grind. Overall, we were happy with our choice of La Paloma Resort. The grounds were beautiful; the rooms were spacious and comfortable, if dated; the breakfasts in the Azul Restaurant were delicious, and the staff was uniformly friendly and helpful. We mostly ate dinners off the property, but the one dinner we had at Janos was very good. So why not five stars? One of the important reasons we picked this resort was the waterslide for the kids, yet when we checked in we were told that it was down for maintenance. We had reserved the Deluxe rooms because they were supposed to have nice views. We also requested connecting rooms, but the only ones they had were at the far end of the property with a nice view of the parking lot. Also, the heat did not work in one of the rooms. (We moved to non-connecting rooms the next day) The wireless connection was pathetically slow, making it impossible to watch streaming video and difficult for our son-in-law to conduct business. (Small business owners don’t really get complete vacations) And finally, on the last morning it took us about an hour to get breakfast, because the computers were down!?! (I didn’t know computers could cook.)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheWestinLaPaloma, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Thank you for posting about your recent stay. I hope you will call us directly when you return to Tucson to visit family. Let us assist you personally with providing the service for a smooth, relaxing stay. We hope to see everyone around the pool this summer watching the kids on The Slidewinder. We wish you continued safe travels….remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Curacao
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Okay this one was a nightmare. We arrive at 830pm, proceed into lobby to check in. Lobby is disorganized, and smells. To boot there is six front desk stations being worked. Y 1 Orr 2 staff, usually one. I wait in line 25 plus minutes. Upon getting to desk, I am told they do not have the suite I reserved with the king bed . Anyway I took the suite at basically 500 per night.
I get to the suite , it is filthy and unmaintained generally. The decor is from the 80's and it is just ridiculous.
I call the manager- he says sorry sir we are bankrupt and have been unable to maintain or renovate. Wow. Honestly in one blow. We left the next morning. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible. Even if you hate the in laws , dropping them there would just be too cruel.

• Stayed March 2012
5 Thank colorblind123
TheWestinLaPaloma, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for your review as we work diligently to understand where we may have fallen short. It is not in every instance that we find fault as we go back through the process, though we do not argue your perception as noted in your review. That said, we were able to identify the manager that you spoke with upon arrival and feel confident that we made every effort to work through your concerns from the time you arrived. There are rare instances that even with our most diligent efforts, we are unable to close the gap. It appears by your review that this was the case in your particular instance and/or experience. For that I am sorry and assure you that in all that was reviewed, it was evident to me that it was not from a lack of trying.
Lastly, though importantly, I stand behind my team and hotel to say that the bankruptcy has long since been settled and never has been nor should be the source of a poor guest experience. That said, we have currently started renovations as noted by other loyal TripAdvisor fans. We are excited about what lies ahead for the property and in the meantime, make every effort to deliver on a great guest experience. Please contact me directly at the property should you consider returning again. Until then, remain well, Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Last weekend we drove about seven miles from our Tucson home and had a phenomenally relaxing mini vacation at Westin La Paloma. We went for a late lunch at Azul and sat inside at a window with soaring mountain views and glimpses of folks basking in the sun by the pool. We felt as if we had traveled afar. We ordered a phenomenal scallop salad that was prepared perfectly. And we reconnected with a dear colleague from 10 years ago - Mario - who waited on us attentively and even comped our wine. We strolled around, found a shady deck and sat there savoring the good time. Then we chatted with a charming clerk in the gift shop - where I scored a silk scarf for 75 percent off. This was an amazingly tonic retreat - and just what we both needed. We'll definitely do this again - and soon. Sometimes a mini-vacation in your own back yard is just the ticket.

We went to La Paloma for lunch at Azul and sat inside at a window with soaring mountain views and glimpses of folks basking in the sun by the pool. We felt like we had traveled afar. We ordered a phenomenal scallop salad that was prepared perfectly. And we reconnected with a dear Westward Look colleague from 10 years ago who waited on us and comped our wine. We wandered around, found a shady deck and sat there savoring the goodtime. Then we had a delightful chat with the woman in the gift shop - where I scored a silk scarf for 75 percent off.

This was an astoundingly tonic retreat - and just what we both needed.

We thank you again for this wonderful gift. We'll definiately visit there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments of how we provided a magical retreat without the usual excessive time, stress and cost of traveling long distance. We’re just a call away for your next getaway. We hope to hear from you soon. We wish you continued safe travels….remain well. Jonathan Litvack, General Manager
DesMoines, IA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

The beds were absolutely the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. When it rained, we used the recycle bucket in our room to catch the water coming in from the ceiling. We reported the leak and was told it would be looked at & they would call us on our cell. The bucket of water remained there, untouched until the next day. They never called us and never offered a new room. Housekeeping~There were 3 of us in our room...me, my husband and our daughter...for the first 3 days we had to keep calling to get shampoo...housekeeping wouldn't leave any. When we went to work out, we were on top of one another as the workout area is underconstruction and all equipment was shoved into one small area...very uncomfortable. Beautiful setting, but building showing its age...hence the water feature in our room. The bright spot....Sam Squires! She was the most positive hard working employee we met there (although all employees did smile). She understood how to service a customer..she deserves a 5 star rating!

Room Tip: Dont pay to up grade to a better bed because it wasn't any better