“My new favorite rock shop!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 127 Shopping in Tucson
Denver, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“My new favorite rock shop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

Based on the Trip Advisor reviews I had read about this place I made it a point to visit Tucson Mineral and Gem World during my recent trip to Tucson. And just as the other reviewers have said, "the other reviews are RIGHT!"

This place is absolutely fantastic! The owner (and his dogs) are totally enjoyable and genuinely kind and good-hearted. Not only did I enjoy the variety of gems and minerals for sale, the conversation with the owner was equally enjoyable. His prices are quite fair and there is so much to look at and choose from, you'll need quite a bit of time to really enjoy it. I told my boyfriend "it's like a museum, but you can buy everything".

I am very happy with the my purchases and actually wish I could've spent more time (and money) at this shop. I cannot wait to go back!

Visited June 2011
5 Thank tallchick80

Columbia, South Carolina
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Such great service, we had to visit twice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

We passed by this store on the way to the Desert Museum, and made a note to stop on the way back, as my 4 year old son is a budding geologist. What a great decision. My youngest fell asleep on the way, so my husband and son went in alone. They were in there for about 25 minutes and when they came out, they were all smiles. They raved about the owner, Richard, and how nice he was. They shopped around a few minutes and made a small purchase, then Richard began talking to them, showed them some of the artifiacts he is currently working on. Geared everything towards my son, he loved his "rock man" The day we left Tucson, our flight didn't leave until 3PM, we decided to spend the morning returning to the store. I got to meet Richard, and his dog Buttercup, and he was just as great as my husband said. Very informative, great service. I hate that we live so far away.

Visited May 2011
7 Thank Devyn_11
Hudson, Illinois
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Amazing visit, great owner, great for kids and adults”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

I can't say enough about our visit to Tucson Mineral and Gem World. The store has a lot of different petrified woods, rocks, gems, about anything you can imagine. As a 45 year old I was fascinated, but the real GEM of the store is the time that the owner takes to teach you and your family about the various pieces, the history and geology behind each piece. I was totally blown away, and my 11 year old was really impressed. Check out the flourescent rocks that they have under black light. Make sure you give yourself enough time to absorb everything, read all of the ifnormation in the store. You'll learn a ton. We go to Arizona every year and we'll gladly make the trip to go back here again and again.

Visited March 2011
5 Thank jmsaathoff
Glendale, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Agreed with the other reviews - this place is the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

I went on a rockshop tour of Tucson. This shop was by far the best. Small but what a treasure trove inside. The owners are very knowledgeable and friendly. It is definitely on my places to visit again whenever I go to Tucson. Mostly crystal specimens, marked with origin (definitely a plus for collectors).

4 Thank CynConn
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“In the top 10 most incredible places to visit; Wow, a world class museum..or is it a store?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

Ok, so it’s not a museum. Could have fooled me, were it not the fact that all the stuff, from strange and bizarre, to wonderful and incredible. I mean, the first things I saw when I went in the front door (The building must have been beamed down to Tucson from maybe 120 years ago..and hasn’t been repaired in all that time. But it fits… (Sign on the front door cracked me up…”We paid an New York architect to a lot of money to make our building look this way”…and they’sll sell you dust from the shelves for $5 an ounce) Being just down the road from Old Tucson western movie studio and the entrance to Saguaro Cactus National Park.) were five or six human skulls. Couldn’t believe it. A Roman Gladiator (must have been Goliath!), a soldier from the Alamo with an unfortunate bullet hole in his forehead, a Roman slave from Wales covered in copper crystals from a mine cave in, a 500 year-old Spanish Conquistador skull with a metal ax buried in his head (ouch), and an actual Mayan Emperor head complete with a copper, jade and gold eye, and a copper ornimented head band minus the feathers. Then I looked up and there was a big rat preserved or actually petrified with solid copper (he got trapped in a hole in the ore of a copper mine maybe thousands of years ago) Where can you see (or buy!) a Borneo shrunken head or a wizened ancient Egyptian mummy’s brain?> That’s just the starters. Tens of thousands of beautiful crystal specimens, a zillion years-worth of rare and common fossils (My eyes bugged out (no pun intended) at the insects in amber..and my favorite, a huge selection of fossil trilobites) and artifacts..mostly ancient..from every corner of the world, and gobs and gobs of stuff from Arizona Indian craftsmen, and endless precious and semi precious gemstones. (Got a peek into the back office which was piled to the ceiling with unopened boxes, crates, piles, cabinets and drawers of “stuff” they haven’t yet identified, labeled, catalogued, etc. THERE’S NO ROOM in the two galleries for any more. The owners, a couple of wonderful and hugely friendly and museum trained guys. Rich and Ron knew every minutia of information about every specimen there. We’ve never met more friendly and beyond fair to them selves generous guys…ever! It must have been 150 degrees outside the afternoon we visited Tucson Mineral and Gem World. They saw that we were wilting. True to form, each of the five us got a coke or bottle of ice cold water…on the house. I’m still reeling form the experience. On the way out, they hand each of the kids a bag and pointed them outside to their Iron Door Mine Dump and told them to have fun and fill the bag up with mineral and fossils ..for free! Even their two dogs were part of the “show.” My daughter asked me if the Airedale and little rat terrier weren’t tour guides in disguise! It’s an A+++++. Please don’t miss this destination..and getting there will take you through some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere, and maybe only a 20 minute drive from the City. Their address is 2801 S. Kinney Road

9 Thank GO4TREASURE