Open today: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
Mexican, South American Imports and more

Last year, I was fortunate to encounter a person who worked there who could give me detailed... read more

Reviewed 23 May 2017
mugsy1_1
El Paso, Texas
Great Southwest and Mexican Artwork

While in Tucson I wanted to buy some authentic southwest artwork and if possible Mexican artwork... read more

Reviewed 3 September 2016

from USD 54.30
from USD 41.00
from USD 27.15
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 September 2015

This delightful store overflows with fine Mexican colonial furniture, pottery, rugs, Day of the Dead figurines, hand-embroidered Guatemalan pillow cases, jewelry, folk art, mirrors, tin stars, iron chandeliers, pillows, linens and the list goes on and on. When I entered Zocalo, I felt as if I had gone into the attic of a huge mansion, crammed with elegant, exceptional items. No inexpensive souvenirs in this place. Everything signals "top quality."

A man working here -- perhaps the owner -- told me the store had moved from its previous nearby address in June 2015 to this much smaller space. Thus, I often found myself edging past a kaleidoscopic array of objects, all calling for my attention. The plans are to move the store again in March 2016 to a currently unknown permanent location.

Meanwhile, a sale -- the first in 10 years -- was on when I visited in mid-September, 2015. Discounts at the time included 25 percent off on Mata Ortiz pottery and 60 percent off rugs. I resisted the urge to pluck many items from the shelves and instead browsed carefully. Photographs that I took will help me make a decision about something to buy in the next few days. I'm leaning toward a Mexican wood-carved Santos or a lovely Christmas ornament.

I highly recommend Zocalo as a worthwhile stop for tourists and Tucson residents alike. The store is located in a strip mall just west of Broadway Village and has free parking.

2  Thank Rumples
RobertoyKarolina, Owner at Zocalo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2016

Thank you so much Rumples for your kind review. We are so glad you appreciate the effort it takes to import special items for our clients. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 7 September 2015 via mobile

While in Tucson visiting family members, I stumbled upon this amazing store. After talking to the utterly nice owners, I realized that every single piece of furniture was carefully picked in his original country (usually Central and Latin America) by the owners themselves. I ended up buying 4 splendid dining room chairs for our appartment in NYC, we were pleased with the way the store handled the shipping of the pieces. They arrived in perfect condition. We can't wait to go back to Tucson only to buy more furniture from Zocalo.

2  Thank diplorob
Reviewed 13 April 2015

I love the passion that the owners have for the artifacts and furniture that they sell. They have some of the most beautiful and unique items from deep down in Mexico, European flea markets, and other exotic importers. Most of their furniture is crazy-big-gorgeous-carved-heavy woods, just stunning craftsmanship and artistry. They also have carved wooden chairs that are upholstered with gorgeous hand worked colorful fabrics. I usually go every year to see their collection of Caterinas and Calaveras, they are beautiful and delicate, wonderful folk art, unique tin punch pieces, beautiful milagro pieces, mirrors, just too much to name. It's such a fun place to roam around because they have such an endless variety of folk art, furniture, accessories and fabrics. I just remembered the saint figurines they have are also stunning. I love handcrafted art that the artist has put their heart and soul into, and you will find that here. Their items are expensive, but given that they travel the world for these pieces, transport them home (very delicate, many of them), and they are truly unique and one of a kind...I wouldn't expect them to be bargains! If you want to take in some beautiful objects that are truly one of a kind, and maybe hear a story or two from the proprietors, it's definitely worth the trip.

1  Thank munkiemama
Reviewed 9 September 2014

Robert and his team work with artisans from San Miguel Allende to create beautiful replicas of colonial Mexican pieces. Additionally the store is filled high quality Mexican pottery and remarkable artifacts. We have purchased many pieces over the years and still love to visit just to browse .

3  Thank mjtravelerOmaha
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Zocalo was commissioned to pack and ship an antique music box, storage chest and 17 metal discs that played on the music box. Upon receipt of the shipment it was immediately evident that Zocalo had improperly and poorly packed the discs resulting in them being bent and unusable. I have sent picture and communicate step by step unpacking and yet the owner continues to want to blame the shipping company. The shipment arrived in highly wrapped plastic film, neither the music box or the storage chest have even a scratch or any sign of damage. The music discs were loose in the cabinet and had obviously been allowed to ship and move during transit.
The owner continues to blame the freight company and asks me to file a claim. I can't file a claim as that would be wrong and fraud. I have written to the freight company to inform them of the situation and that no claim should be honored.

8  Thank Ohio C