Zocalo
Ranked #18 of 133 Shopping in Tucson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 7 September 2015 via mobile

While in Tucson visiting family members, I stumbled upon this amazing store. After talking to the utterly nice owners, I realized that every single piece of furniture was carefully picked in his original country (usually Central and Latin America) by the owners themselves. I ended up buying 4 splendid dining room chairs for our appartment in NYC, we were pleased with the way the store handled the shipping of the pieces. They arrived in perfect condition. We can't wait to go back to Tucson only to buy more furniture from Zocalo.

1  Thank diplorob

Reviewed 13 April 2015

I love the passion that the owners have for the artifacts and furniture that they sell. They have some of the most beautiful and unique items from deep down in Mexico, European flea markets, and other exotic importers. Most of their furniture is crazy-big-gorgeous-carved-heavy woods, just stunning craftsmanship and artistry. They also have carved wooden chairs that are upholstered with gorgeous hand worked colorful fabrics. I usually go every year to see their collection of Caterinas and Calaveras, they are beautiful and delicate, wonderful folk art, unique tin punch pieces, beautiful milagro pieces, mirrors, just too much to name. It's such a fun place to roam around because they have such an endless variety of folk art, furniture, accessories and fabrics. I just remembered the saint figurines they have are also stunning. I love handcrafted art that the artist has put their heart and soul into, and you will find that here. Their items are expensive, but given that they travel the world for these pieces, transport them home (very delicate, many of them), and they are truly unique and one of a kind...I wouldn't expect them to be bargains! If you want to take in some beautiful objects that are truly one of a kind, and maybe hear a story or two from the proprietors, it's definitely worth the trip.

Reviewed 9 September 2014

Robert and his team work with artisans from San Miguel Allende to create beautiful replicas of colonial Mexican pieces. Additionally the store is filled high quality Mexican pottery and remarkable artifacts. We have purchased many pieces over the years and still love to visit just to browse .

3  Thank mjtravelerOmaha
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Zocalo was commissioned to pack and ship an antique music box, storage chest and 17 metal discs that played on the music box. Upon receipt of the shipment it was immediately evident that Zocalo had improperly and poorly packed the discs resulting in them being bent and unusable. I have sent picture and communicate step by step unpacking and yet the owner continues to want to blame the shipping company. The shipment arrived in highly wrapped plastic film, neither the music box or the storage chest have even a scratch or any sign of damage. The music discs were loose in the cabinet and had obviously been allowed to ship and move during transit.
The owner continues to blame the freight company and asks me to file a claim. I can't file a claim as that would be wrong and fraud. I have written to the freight company to inform them of the situation and that no claim should be honored.

7  Thank Ohio C
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I went to Zocalo in search of a specific item and ended up spending at least an hour wandering around this big store. It was such fun to guess the origin of pottery, baskets and woven goods (often I was wrong). The sales people were helpful and interesting but didn't bug me as I browsed. Really enjoyed shopping there and I think this is the only time I've ever reviewed a store on Trip Advisor. Highly recommend but if you have children they will test your nerves - lots of fragile items within reach.

3  Thank megrey

Been to Zocalo? Share your experiences!