“Happy Hour”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

Regional Mexican cuisine, spirits, wine at it's best. Early Happy Hour 3-5, order tacos and a salad, ceviche, mezcal.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 29 May 2018

I LOVED Penca. This is a smallish upscale restaurant with authentic Mexican food. I had the carne asada and the carnitas tacos. Both were good but the carnitas was fabulous. the ambience is great and the wait staff was wonderful and very attentive. I cannot wait to go again Oh yeah, we didn't spend an arm and a leg to eat....very affordable.

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

We were in early in a Friday evening. The food was spectacular, gave 4 only because the service was a tad slow. Not because this anyone was Lolly gagging around,- everyone seemed to be hustling.

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Heard Tucson was a foodie city in the desert focused on local, sustainable ingredients to create a food scene all its own. If Penca represents this approach, call it a success! Well done. We basically ordered the entire happy hour menu. The mixed green salad with corn, avocado & more was a great start. The elotes caused our eyes to roll in the back of our heads. Cheviche: fresh & textured with those addictive home made tortilla chips. Awesome carnitas tacos. The drinks REALLY were EXCELLENT. Rose Sangria-- Get it, trust me.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Penca claims to serve Mexico City cuisine. Having eaten numerous outstanding meals in Mexico City, I was prepared for something different than the standard, though delicious, Sonoran food served in Tucson. Hip downtown location, urban vibe. Penca has no sign out front–that seems somewhat pretentious. Perhaps it should also have been a warning.

The interior is quite attractive with exposed brick and big windows. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. We ordered drinks soon after and they showed up after some waiting. My sangria was the weirdest I have ever had–a mysterious, multi-hued mix of who-knows-what oddly served in a smallish champagne coupe. It was fairly undrinkable although I tried hard to like it.

The chips arrived with some decent salsa. That was the last item with any flavor.

I ordered fish tacos. There were two very small, thick tortillas on the plate. The fish was overwhelmed by the cabbage and had no flavor. It required several spoonfuls of the table salsa to provide any flavor. Looking online the next day, there was no sign of the chipotle crema nor pico de gallo that were mentioned in the menu. Included on the plate were rice and black beans. Both were completely bland. The rice seemed to have been scraped from the bottom of the pot, and the beans were probably canned. There was no salt on the table to improve things.

My friend ordered tres leches cake for dessert. It, too, was served very oddly, layered in a Mason jar that made it somewhat difficult to eat. At least the whipped cream on top tasted real.

There was none of the flavor and sophistication of Mexico City food here. It seems to be all about ambiance and presentation, without regard for the food itself.

1  Thank azbuceadora

Been to Penca? Share your experiences!