“True Southwestern Hospitality”

Cat Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 45 Tucson B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at Cat Mountain Lodge on South Kinney Road for my week-long vacation to Tucson this past October. It is located on the west side of the Tucson Mountains, just a few miles outside of Tucson and with very easy access of the airport. If you are traveling to Tucson primarily for city sights, this may not be the best place to stay for you, since it is approximately half an hour from downtown and on the other side of the mountain ridge. However, if your destinations include Saguaro National Park West, the Sonoran Desert Museum, Tucson Mountain Park, Old Tucson Studios, Kitt Observatory, or any of the many other west side attractions, this is a great home base to start from.
The four guestroom stucco Hacienda-style Lodge is unassumingly gorgeous to those with an eye for this style of architecture. The decorative iron gate both greets and protects lodgers: the innkeeper keeps it locked when she is away. Small surprises like the relief painting of hummingbirds and mice on a vine around the gate continually greet you as you walk the immediate grounds. The warm and welcoming courtyard is in bloom year-round. I had the privilege of trying to eat a beautiful fruit off one of the 5-foot tall cactus growing inside. The rooms surround the courtyard, with a covered walkway around the inside.
Each room has a double glass French door: mine looked out onto a tiered fountain which I enjoyed listening to in the evening. Every room has a private bathroom with either a luxuriously tiled shower or tub, and each room has its own hot water heater. A small closet with several hangers also houses a mini-fridge. I think I would have enjoyed access to a microwave, either in my room or in the common room. The four rooms all have locking connecting doors with each other, so parents could easily bring children and be able to keep an eye on them. Keep in mind, however, that boisterous or tearful younger children may easily disturb other guests in such a cozy inn.
The Mission room where I stayed is very spacious and meticulously clean, with lovely Indian rugs over a stained and sealed concrete floor. A high ceiling and clean white walls add to the feeling of space, though a curtain or scarf at the window would soften it. The Mission room is decorated in a theme of the Spanish Catholic Missions, which primarily means an abundance of metal crosses hung on the walls. Other rooms are decorated with other themes, including the Ranch Room and the Fiesta Room. The largest room, with two queen beds, is Spencer’s Suite, named after the owner’s late husband.
Breakfast is provided through a voucher to the Coyote Pause Café on the property, just steps away. I enjoyed choosing breakfast each day from a full menu, and yet being able to go in my PJs and slippers (watch out for cactus!). While not fancy, the food is hearty and relatively healthy. Fairly quickly, I got to know the friendly staff there and was treated like a “regular”.
This review would not be complete without paying tribute to the lodge’s on-site manager and innkeeper, Angel Jackson-Slye. Angel is one-of-a-kind and exemplifies true hospitality. She left a welcome basket in my room upon arrival, and invited me to the common room for popcorn or cheese and crackers each evening. Whenever I was leaving for the day or coming back, she was right there to see if I needed anything. She kept my room spotless the entire time. When I had to spend one day in bed with the flu, she offered me tea, cocoa, soup, or whatever I wanted, and also knew when to leave me alone. In my time there, I felt like I gained a new friend. I’m sure the owner knows what a gem she has in Angel, and I hope that anyone who stays there will take some time to get to know her like I did.
In summary, I highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone looking for a more quiet, out-of-the way location with the comforts of home and yet an authentic Southwestern setting. The rates are reasonable and the service is beyond compare.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank ColoTraveler2

Reviewed 23 May 2011

We just spent two nights for our short stay at Tucson. If you main focus is go to the Desert Museum, Mission and Saguaro NP then this is definitely the place to stay. Its just a few minutes from all of these attractions as well the fabulous sunsets at Gates Pass.

Spencers Suite was roomy, comfortable and very clean and well-kept. The entire property is nicely maintained with many nice plantings and art pices scattered about.

One of the best features is the meals at Coyote Pause, adjacent to the Lodge. Your room comes with vouchers for breakfast or lunch and this is a convenient option and a great value! The food was very good.

Also a big thumbs up for Robby and his star tours at the observatory. He is very knowlegable and the three hour tour was filled with great views of the heavens and lots of information. Don't miss it!

Thanks for everything Angel. We'll be back next time we are in Tucson for a more extended stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Not only is Cat mountain a beautiful, peaceful and friendly place to stay, but we had the most incredible guided tour of the Universe in Spencer's Observatory. Robby spent about 4 hours with us, showing us stars, clusters, planets and galaxies. We had loads of questions as we are both Brian Cox fans, and he was happy to share his vast knowledge wth us. It's hard to imagine a better opportunity to view the stars through such high quality telescopes, in such perfect conditions with such personal service. Worht staying at Cat Mountain for this alone, we would say!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2011

We stayed four nights in Spencer's Suite and it was utterly quiet and peaceful. The beds are perfect. We enjoyed the courtyard and the scenery very much. We even signed up for a nighttime observatory session--$100 for 3 hours for 5 people, and Rob was a great host and even attached our camera to the telescope and made sure we got fantastic pictures. The "breakfast" part of the B&B is at the neighboring cafe, Coyote Pause, and it was very tasty and offered plenty of choices. The location was ideal for us--we wanted peace and quiet and dark skies, and loved being in the desert next to Saguaro National Park. If you're all about nightlife, just know that it's a 10+ mile drive into the heart of Tucson.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Four of us, all intrepid amateur astronomers visited and stayed at Cat Mountain Lodge as part of an Astronomy trip to Arizona. I found this B & B on the internet and was attracted to the desert location and the fine personal amenities. All the arrangements were made over the phone with the delightful and ever so helpful Angel (a most fitting name).

The rooms are large and very tastefully appointed in a desert theme. The beds were very comfortable enabling a very restful and quiet sleep after the evenings activities.

Located next to the Lodge is the restaurant where breakfast was served. My friend is on a quest to find the quintessential Huevos Rancheros. He had theirs both mornings and declared them to be the best he had eaten, ever!! And he is renowned for his own production of this morning treat. They also serve dinner on weekends which is supposed to also be a real highly desired and sought after event.

In addition to the charming accommodation there is a roll off roof astronomical observatory with two pedestal mounted telescopes and a knowledgable guide to facilitate a nights observing. We spent two nights doing astrophotography and visually exploring the winter skies. A spectacular time for us. Rob was helpful beyond measure!! He brought over some of his own equipment to augment the ample equipment provided at the observatory. Rob went out of his way to make sure we had a wonderful experience.

I almost regret giving this review as I know it will make it more difficult to book it for myself, but Angel and staff deserve every success as a testament to their hard work and dedication.

Cat Mountain Lodge is already booked for us for next year. Four rooms for 4 couples for 5 nights. We more than doubled the length of our stay this year. Great rooms, a great observatory, great food, a quiet location and a helpful staff. We know a gem when we see it!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends