“This used to be our favorite restaurant ”
Review of It's Greek to Me

It's Greek to Me
Ranked #9 of 2,213 Restaurants in Tucson
Price range: USD 9 - USD 29
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Small family owned, old world vibe. Made from scratch. Homemade Greek yogurt. Weekly email. Fresh fish specials. Fresh from scratch pastries. Come see the family!!
Reviewed 9 February 2017 via mobile

We haven't been back for a year, since new ownership. We used to go often, maybe once a week but it started to change. We decided to try it tonight again, mostly for convenience.
The 2 stars are for my husbands lamb which he said was delicious. It went downhill from there.
There were four of us. First of all the waiter took our orders. He took 3 of our orders and promptly left forgetting to take my husbands order. We finally managed to track him down and he took the order.
My order was a Greek salad with an add on of shrimp ( which has always been my favorite for maybe the last 5 or 6 years.
We all received a small salad (which I didn't order because I ordered a Greek salad with shrimp for my entree. He took it back and brought me the very small salad back with 2 small shrimp on it. I questioned why only 2 small shrimp for an additional $8 or $9 . He apologized and brought me one more small shrimp.

Our friends both said their dinners were ok but not like in the past.

I ordered a second glass of wine and he brought the wrong one. After one taste I knew it was wrong and he took it back and brought the right one, which I appreciated. After we had paid the bill and left, my husband said he charged for 3 glasses of wine, but we were in a hurry and didn't bother with it. Just glad to get out of there.

Unfortunately, our waiter told us they have bought the, once , very good Italian restaurant two doors down. I guess we'll be crossing that one off our list also.

Looking at the list of restaurants in Tucson, I can see why this restaurant has dropped from #2 or 3 to #40

Date of visit: February 2017
5  Thank dootdah
Jeff B, Owner at It's Greek to Me, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2017

Thank you very much for your review. Critical reviews like yours we take very seriously, and would rather see documented, no matter our TripAdvisor or any ranking. We need to know about those rare occurences when our best is not provided to the customer. As you can see from the prior 8 reviews, which were all 5-stars, then there are rave reviews we receive verbally every evening, we believe your bad experience is out of character for the excellence in cuisine & service we provide. Please call the restaurant, ask for Jeff's phone number and feel free to give me a call. I would like to make this up to you that meets your satisfaction. As for the Italian restaurant you mention, the name has recently changed and I guarantee you will enjoy the excellence in the new cuisine offered there. Finally, regarding your comment on our TripAdvisor ranking for It's Greek To Me restaurant, we proudly maintaine a very high ranking on TripAdvisor (currently top 1.5% of 1,536 restaurants, including #1 in Greek restaurants). The formula is in part based on the number of reviews received and when written, however we observe many people now use other means to give us their verbal or written excellent reviews. This is not to say we are always perfect and provide our best to every customer. Therefore I encourage you to contact me so that we can get it right for you!

Reviewed 8 February 2017 via mobile

After a VERY disappointing evening in November, we vowed never to return. However, after posting the details of our experience on TripAdvisor, the owners asked us to reconsider, and threw in a bottle of wine as enticement. Last week, we finally decided to try again. Much to our delight, both the service and food were outstanding. We had the calamari appetizer to begin. It was served quickly and competently by Bob. Bob was appropriately attentive throughout our dinner. I ordered the lamb chops and my husband had the osso bucco. Both were delicious and were accompanied by a Greek salad, mashed potatoes and roasted carrots. I can only report good things about this visit and sincerely hope the quality of food and service level continue.

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank Laura A
Reviewed 23 January 2017

Two visits and the same perfect quality each time. This is truly a fabulous find with the most delicious Greek food! The exterior makes one wonder if the address is correct as it doesn't "look" like it would be a good restaurant. Don't miss the magic inside!!!

Reviewed 11 January 2017

We are in town on business and decided to try this restaurant. We had dinner at 5:00pm on a Tuesday and the food was delicious. We had the gyros plates and served more than we could eat. The wait staff was pleasant and informative. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

Exceeded expectations! Huge combo plate appetizer followed by the shrimp kastella. Fresh ingredients. Greek salad accompaniment was authentic and delicious.

The owner Jimmy came over.

So good.

Date of visit: January 2017

Been to It's Greek to Me? Share your experiences!