“Wonderful Spa Destination!”

Ranked #6 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Chicago, IL
“Wonderful Spa Destination!”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I have traveled to many resorts but never to a destination spa and Miraval was the perfect get-away from daily life. Choose how to spend your day...take a walk or hike, attend an exercise or mind/body class, sit by the pool or just relax and take in the sounds of nature that surround you. Don’t forget to schedule spa treatments…I highly recommend the Emergin C facial and the classic Swedish massage with the Miraval touch, both outstanding!
The food is delicious and everything is labeled with nutrition contents – how do they make the food so yummy and low cal?!? The staff is extremely attentive and were eager to assist with anything you need. The guest rooms are awesome and you won’t find a more comfortable bed! I highly recommend staying at Miraval if you’re looking for a change of pace from daily life and want to re-connect with your inner self…a wonderful spa weekend.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room near the main lobby and dining area.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
MiravalGM, General Manager at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Hi there - Thank you for taking the time to write! And thank you for all the wonderful feedback you gave. I'm glad you enjoyed the food so much during your stay - I wanted to share with you that our all new Mindful Eating Miraval cookbook is being released in May (our guests have been asking for it for 10 years!) and you can pre-order your copy now on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. It has over 200 of our Miraval recipes so now you can bring Miraval's delicious healthy food to your home. We look forward to seeing you on a return visit!
Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Everyone should experience Miraval!!! There is no place better to get away from your daily life and grow within yourself. There are lots of activies for everyone. The staff and service has to be the best I have experienced. You will never sleep in a more comfortable bed anywhere!!! The total experience is like no place I have ever been and can not wait to return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank pink0475
Hi there - Thanks so much for writing! I can hear your enthusiasm through your words and it brings a smile to my face. And I agree about our Miraval bedding - did you know you can buy it for your home in our online store? Thanks again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back when you return!
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I am a Tucson resident and I have been going to Miraval since 2002. The past few years, every time I went there, I was slightly disappointed. I felt as if Oprah's visit gave Miraval's management enough confidence that they no longer needed to thrive for excellence. After not visiting Miraval for one whole year, I decided to take advantage of the Day Spa special. The resort is under construction and given that fact, I thought they had done a decent job re-creating a quite room. What disappointed me was that the "Spa winning lunch" had no desert but some "gronola".... What happened to the chocolate truffles? Also, the buffet gets smaller and smaller by the month. No offense to the talented Chef Justin, this is management's fault.

The staff seemed tired and uninspired, nothing compared to a few years ago.
The Spa checking area is the same as the gym where a loud miserable top 40 music is being played. I understand that there was water aerobic going on, but for God's sake, why have the music play so loud in such a serenity?

I still have not given up on this little piece of heaven and I hope we get to see some of the older touch along with the new renovations.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank Dolatnoush
Hi there - Thank you for writing. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed during your Day Spa visit last month and that your lunch in our Cactus Flower Restaurant was not what you had expected. I'm somewhat surprised by your feedback since the style and quantity of our lunch buffet and "chef''s daily special" has remained unchanged for as long as I can remember. Since you've been coming to Miraval since 2002, you know better than anyone how much we are looking forward to the brand new spa facility. It is going to be absolutely beautiful. I'm glad to hear that you have not given up on Miraval and look forward to welcoming you back here once the new spa opens in May.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I had never been to Arizona before and never to a destination spa. What a beautiful, peaceful part of the world. I have never experienced such idyllic weather. The sun itself felt like a spa treatment, with absolutely no humidity, and clean, fresh air. The perfect antidote to my hometown of New York City. The food was so spectacular you didn't even realize how healthy it was. The gym was beautiful, with outdoor workout spaces with views of the mountains. It was really heaven on earth. I plan to make this a yearly pilgrimage. Came back rested and weighing less!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Hi there - Yes, Miraval is not only physically far from the hustle and bustle of New York City, but theoretically, it's worlds apart. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the serenity and beauty of the Sonoran desert and had such a wonderful time here. And I'm thrilled to hear that you will be back to visit Miraval each year! You will love it when you come back to experience our new spa once it opens in May!
Gillette, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I just can't say enough about Miraval! It is my absolute favorite retreat and a true mecca for self-renewal and personal growth. The Miraval experience is just magical, from the setting to the services to the staff. If you are looking for a beautiful, relaxing, spa resort getaway, Miraval is a wonderful destination. If you are looking for increased self-knowledge and any manner of life improvement, you simply must go!

As a spa resort, Miraval excels with delicious and copious food (a reason to go in itself, plus there's a full bar from 3pm-10pm), fantastic spa treatments (their new gorgeous spa facility will be unveiled in spring 2012), a variety of welcoming classes and activities, beautifully landscaped grounds, lovely and clean facilities, and a gorgeous desert vista. But, it also offers so much more! Miraval's philosophy of mindfulness is invaluable. Many of their programs present opportunities to bring awareness to the present moment, and practicing this for a few days can result in an amazing shift of perspective and relief from stress.

The experts who run the programs at Miraval are phenomenal. They each have something different to offer, and they are all available for one-on-one sessions for an extra fee (you can use spa credits for private consultations.) They provide so much inspiration and useful information about all aspects of life -- nutrition, exercise, stress relief, life changes, goal-setting, achieving balance, etc. -- I cannot imagine any other place where one can achieve so much self-improvement in so little time. I only wish there were Miraval day spas/wellness centers to help keep up the practice at home and reach people who cannot visit the resort in Tucson.

I have been lucky enough to visit Miraval several times (they have a frequent visitor program, which offers some nice perks.) I prefer to go alone to focus inward and savor the experience, but it is a wonderful trip for mothers and daughters, friends, and couples. It is so easy to meet other people at Miraval. The atmosphere is very friendly, and others can quickly become like family while bonding over shared experiences. On the other hand, it is also fine to limit interaction with others and enjoy solitude and privacy.

I need a minimum of three full days to get completely into the Miraval spirit, but I never have enough time to do everything I want (including just relaxing and enjoying the property). Programs and schedules can be viewed on their web site and it is very helpful to review them prior to arriving. They recommend signing up for things well in advance (some services and activities require this), but I have always waited until I arrived and found plenty to choose from. Guest Services is available 24 hours a day and can help navigate all the offerings, make suggestions and answer any questions. All the staff at Miraval are eager to help and will go out of their way to satisfy any request -- don't hesitate to ask. The customer service is excellent across the board, and I love how everyone who works at Miraval seems so happy and relaxed! In particular, Mary Monaghan in the General Manager's office was especially helpful in making my last stay so special.

I go to Miraval mostly for meditation, yoga, breath, and wellness classes, but there are many other things to do there as well, and while different offerings will appeal to different people, everything I've tried has been excellent. I never feel pressured at Miraval. The warm, very accepting and pampering environment always lets me feel free to do what I please, (the all-inclusive fee structure and no tipping policy enhance that experience.)

The only small thing that I could fault the property for (other than not having access to the main spa during renovations) would be that in the rooms, the bathroom is sectioned off by a sliding door that closes fully, but does not offer tremendous privacy if you are sharing a room. The rooms are very pleasant and clean, with a rustic desert, yet modern design. They contain oversized, comfortable furniture, a widescreen TV, and the most supremely luxurious bed and linens imaginable! Some rooms offer views, and some of the outdoor seating areas attached to the rooms are more private than others. After the new spa is completed, upcoming room renovations will make the rooms even more of a draw for the resort.

The spa services are heavenly! I especially love the Aruvedyic Abhyanga massage and try to schedule that for the first night I arrive. It's a supremely relaxing, detoxifying, head-to-toe rubdown with warmed oils, and works great to get right into de-stress mode and also ward off the nighttime desert chill (be sure to pack warm clothes for nighttime year-round). I also love the "oriental energy treatments", like Cranio Sacral and Reiki, which are surprisingly effective at creating a relaxed, centered and peaceful state by using light touch.

Toward the end of my last visit to Miraval, I had a deeply transformative experience with a Spirit Flight session. I booked this on the advice of Guest Services, and I am so glad I did! This "treatment" starts with a dialogue with the tremendously insightful and benevolent Dr. Tim Frank, and then consists of a full-on Native American ritual with chanting and drumming, along with Thai Massage and Acupuncture. For me, this session actually seemed to resolve long-standing grief and trauma and created a sense of joy and energy that was life changing. I got lucky to get in after a cancellation, but usually a Spirit Flight must be booked months in advance. After this treatment (though not right after -- don't schedule anything directly after a Sprit Flight), I was inspired to try one of the "challenge activities" and did Desert Tightrope, which was a wonderful opportunity to practice living in the moment. The support and encouragement I got from the people I did this with was incredibly rewarding and exhilarating!

Two sessions that I've never tried, but have heard others rave about as particularly transformative are, "It's not about the Horse" with Wyatt Webb, and Holographic Memory Resolution (trauma resolution) with either Brent Baum or Dr. Tim.

Yes, a visit to Miraval is expensive, but it is a retreat like none other and could not only usher you on the road to health and wellness, but may even -- as in my case -- save you years of therapy! Thank you Miraval! You are the ultimate destination for health of mind, body and spirit, and I can't wait to go back!

P.S. Please consider opening Miraval Wellness Centers to help us keep up the Miraval way of living in our day-to-day lives!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the dining area offer a shorter walk when it's particularly chilly at night
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Lisa L
Hi Lisa - Wow!! Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your Miraval experience and more importantly, thank you for making Miraval a part of your life and for returning again and again. We feel lucky to have guests like you and our staff loves seeing familiar faces when you return. I'm so glad you were able do Spirit Flight with Dr. Tim while you were here... it's truly unique and continues to be voted "Best Spa Treatment" in SpaFinder's Reader's Choice Awards - though I'm sure you can attest that it's much more than a spa treatment. Thank you again for writing as I know many people will find your thoughts and recommendations very insightful when planning a visit to Miraval. We so look forward to welcoming you back to experience the new spa once it opens in May!