“Loved it and would go back!”
Review of Ponderosa Lodge

Ponderosa Lodge
Omaha, Nebraska
“Loved it and would go back!”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The location and cleanliness of the property were our top concerns, and we were not let down one bit! The lodge is tucked away right off Fall River Road, with the river running right in their backyard. Compared to other properties in the area, we got a fair price and had a great stay. It was a short drive into Rocky Mountain National Park, and extremely close to Estes Park, yet the property itself was very quiet with the sound of the rushing river right outside our room. The room was simple, updated, and very clean. My husband and I chose the smaller room with the pull-down European style bed, and it was actually quite comfortable. We happened to stay during one of the busiest times for the park, and one of the hottest summers in years, but it cooled off at night and was quiet enough to sleep with the windows open. The front desk service was great too, they have recommendations for restaurants, and they even let me use their phone! There is not a phone in the room, and my cell phone didn't work there (I have US Cellular, and it did work in Estes Park). The best points: location was perfect for nature lovers, yet convenient to food in Estes Park! You can grill on the patio or one of the areas on property because there is a grocery store nearby. The room had modern touches including mini-fridge and microwave, so you can save money by going to the store instead of eating out. They do have a hot tub by the river, but we didn't get a chance to try it out because we were so busy with other activities in the area. I didn't have anything that I really disliked about the place, and we would definitely stay there again!!! :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 14, the smallest room with a pull-down bed. It was pretty comfortable and very cl...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 June 2011

It was a wonderful stay in Estes. The room was clean, warm and very comfortable. The hot tub was perfect during the snow storm. Jim, Mary Ann, Walt and ofcourse Shadow were the perfect hosts!
Can't wait to return to the beautiful mountains, great company and good energy of the Ponderosa Lodge.
mary from Pa.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 May 2011

My wife and I have stayed at the Ponderosa ten or twelve times over the past 15 years. We've visited in every season and stayed from one night to one week. We came across it while planning a family reunion and although it didn't meet our particular reunion's needs, it has become "our place" to stay whenever we travel to Estes and the Park. We have always found the rooms to be clean, comfortable and in good repair, the staff to be friendly and helpful, and the rates to be reasonable and competitive. The Ponderosa offers a variety of accommodations, but is a relatively small inn. The rooms we have stayed in have had kitchenettes.
The things we like best are that the rooms have balconies immediately above the Fall River, the accommodations are simple and modern, we can save a few bucks by eating "in", and -aside from the running river- it is a generally quiet location.
What could be better? For us, that's hard to say. We have yet to have a bad experience there.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room for more privacy.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrBill062
Austin, TX
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Loved almost everything about this hotel. First and foremost, it was clean! I really didn't expect to find a place located in the wilderness kept so clean, but it was spotless. It had a small fridge in the room, which was great for leftovers and for keeping drinks cold. The location was great - close to town but away from all the traffic, and convenient to the park entrances. There was free wi-fi in all the rooms, and free coffee in the lobby. I didn't use the hottub, but based on the amount of time I saw people scrubbing down the tables and chairs on the balcony just to keep them clean, I'm sure it too was spotless. At first glance parking seems to be a problem, since there is not a lot of it. But as it turns out, you can pretty much leave your car anywhere, not just in a marked spot, so that worked out OK. And you can hear the stream gurgling from your room, which was awesome. My only real complaint was that the room is a little small if you leave the Murphy bed down (which was surprisingly comfortable), but I will trade cleanliness for more room any day.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Salem, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We were a little disappointed in the Ponderosa Lodge. Our unit was on the second floor overlooking the river. The door of the unit opens into the bedroom, and we were immediately greeted with that cloyingly sweet cleaner smell that some of the lower end chain hotels use. That was a turn-off for me. The showerhead was a perfect height for me - I'm 5'2". Unfortunately for my husband, that didn't work at all for him - he's 6'4". Not sure why hotels do that...
The unit looked like it had been recently refurbished with matching bedspread and shower curtain. The bed linens and blanket were just OK, and the mattress wasn't wonderful.
The teeny little wall-mounted tv was hard to watch from the bedroom. Geez folks, flat screens have gotten quite inexpensive so it's time for an upgrade.
Parking was not a problem the first night, but the second night we had to scrounge for a spot.
It was an OK place, just not memorable and it wouldn't be our first choice to stay there again as I know there are other nicer, newer places for the money. It is, however, very convenient to Rocky Mountain National Park.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple