“I grade on a curve...”
Review of Toyama Sushi

Toyama Sushi
Ranked #29 of 54 Restaurants in Crescent City
Reviewed 9 April 2018

OK, as I say many times, Crescent City doesn't have a lot of options. As for Japaneses, very very little option.

My wife and I stopped in the other night because we wanted something not fried or heavy and thought this would be a good option. Toyama is a small place and when we walked in there was one other couple there (Saturday night at 8). We took a booth and looked the menu over. They do not server liquor, even though they have it on the menu so we got tea. We ordered the grilled squid to start and my wife got a roll and I ordered a noodle dish.

They provided soup, though it was a bit different in taste from others soups I have had, but it was OK. They brought the squid, grilled with onions and peppers. I am always surprised, squid is so cheap and what we got was not much squid for the money. Squid is only a dollar a pound or so, I expected a pile of squid, it was a modest plate. My wife didn't really like it, not much flavor and a bit oily. I think the 'grilled' meant on a flat grill top, not a flame grill.

They brought the roll and noodles. The noodles were OK but not remarkable. A bit pasty and the beef was tough. My wife's roll was better, though she said the mayo like sauce on it seemed to much. The crab tasted fresh though. Not much else to say..

So for us, it was OK. We didn't order a lot of sushi so can't talk much about that. It is a good alternative to the fast food and heavier other places to eat. But remember, this is Crescent City, very little options.

I give it 4 stars because it is an option to the other places, tastes OK and is not a dive. If I were home, this would be a 2 or 3 star place.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

Had a family get together and all who ate got sick those who did not eat were well. It was not a fun night but did get our money back the next day.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

This place is in a strip mall so is not the most elegant... it has a great chef and sushi bar you can watch him or her prepare your roll. I recommend the spider roll or the salmon skin hand roll. For the children they have teriaki or udon noodles. Its a sweet place.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Crescent City has limited restaurant options. Finding fish that is real fresh and NOT overcooked is difficult. We tried Toyama Sushi tonight. It is in a strip mall but they have a hand painted mural on the wall and classical music playing. Food was good but not excellent. Miso soup was very mild tasting and spicy tuna roll was not what we are use to.. Rainbow roll with fried soft shell crab was the best of what we ordered.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

We went to Toyama Sushi for a late lunch while visiting from Oregon and we each ordered from the Lunch Special menu. We all LOVE sushi and were impressed with the larger portions they have here. The service was quick and friendly. The food was all very delicious! No complaints.