“Fun atmosphere and great food”

Black Dog Bar and Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Dog Bar and Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 52 Restaurants in Putnam
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We do not live close by, but wish we lived close enough to become regulars. Some of the food is "Instagram-worthy", like the bacon clothesline, but that doesn't mean it isn't done well. The barbeque is excellent and the full menu items are all delicious. Despite the focus on smoked meats, I have actually enjoyed a few of the delicious and creative salads. Definitely start with an order of the fried pickles in the house dill dressing!

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Stopped by early on a weekday evening for a quick dinner. We've been previously (several times) and dinner is often spot-on. Things were really off on this night. We were seated and then waited a good 15 minutes before anyone came to our table. I almost made a run to the bar to ask for a server. Server took our cocktail order and ran away so fastususa we didn't even get a chance to order apps. Thus, we ordered apps and dinner entrees as soon as she returned...thinking it would be a while before we got her back to the table. Cocktails were off - not sure if it was a new bartender but the mix on a few of our cocktails was not right.

Dinner - usually awesome. Something was up with the burnt ends. All cut into square chunks and they were so spicy that a few pieces were not even edible. Mashed potatoes were not seasoned at all. Not sure what's going on but it didn't seem right and we certainly didn't leave with the same satisfied feeling we usually do. Come back, Black Dog - this wasn't the real you. On the up side...fried green beans and bacon saved them and got them this average rating. Without that, not good. Not good at all.

1  Thank stormitraveler
Reviewed 25 March 2018

Very crowded saturday night, had reservation and seated within 5 minutes. Service was good. Moscow mule good, buffalo shrimp app good, pigpen burger and taco salad good. Nothing super amazing just a good place to pop into now and again.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Used to really enjoy the food here. Noticed it has steadily gone downhill in the past 6 months. Tried it again 2 wks ago & ordered a brisket dinner. Brisket was very tough & noticed pieces were all cut uniformly definitely Not like they used to be when they smoked their own meats.

Also saw that their "mixed vegetables" looked off-color & didn't taste Fresh then realized I had seen them before---at a cheap pizza restaurant in a neighboring town. All previously frozen & strangely colored. Ugh. An absolutely horrible dining experience for All diners in my party.

When we left and walked out to the parking lot we realized that their outdoor smokers were no longer in use like on previous visits but were parked under the trees at the far end of their parking lot. They must be buying all their products pre-packaged & pre-cooked from a food vendor. Major Disappointment!

I made out a comment card & even put my email address on it but No one ever responded. Apparently owners do not care anymore. Get the hamburger if you ever visit here...at least they can't mess that up too much...

Jenna H, Manager at Black Dog Bar and Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hi Jay -

I am so sorry that you did not have a great experience, as that really is our number one goal here at the black dog. I would like to let you know that we do in fact still and always will smoke our own meats. I believe the "smoker" you are referring too in our parking lot is our pizza truck - which at one point was up by the restaurant and then moved down to the other end of the parking lot and winterized.

Our smoker is and always has been in our kitchen. In fact, I would LOVE to bring you back into our kitchen if you would like to stop by and I can show it to you and all the other fresh foods we have in our kitchen. We try to be completely transparent at The Black Dog and I would love to give you a better dining experience.

Did you place your comment card in our comment card box? I personally take them out of the box every Tuesday and hand deliver them to the owner, who cares more about the satisfaction of his customers than any restaurant owner I have ever seen. He goes through each and every single comment card - and reaches out to anyone unhappy. I am surprised we did not see your card in the pile.

Please email me so we can discuss this further. jenna@blackdogbarandgrille.com

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

The black dog has a great atmosphere and great food. Absolutely have to try the bacon clothesline. If you are looking for some good BBQ and smoked meats it's a great place to eat.