“Recommended store for Native American Jewelry”

Tanner Chaney Galleries
Ranked #19 of 103 Shopping in Albuquerque
Reviewed 29 June 2017

My wife requested me to purchase some Native American Turquois Earrings for her. I visited this store based on a recommendation on a trusted Travel Guide Book. The Travel Guide Book said this store carries authentic Native American Jewelry. My wife and daughter are very selective when it comes to purchasing jewelry. This store had a pair of Native American Turquois Sterling Silver Earrings made by a Zuni Jeweler with a very good design. I checked with my wife and she instantly liked it. Then I showed it to my daughter and she said she would like to have a pair for herself! The staff at this store was friendly, patient and helpful.

Reviewed 13 November 2016

We stopped in on our way to dinner as we meandered our way through Old Town. What a surprise! First, Mary was a true hostess who taught me more about turquoise than I could have dreamed. One of her co-workers showed us the pottery, rug and wooden animal collections and explained about the artisans and villages from which all the pieces came. What a delightful experience! We weren't in the market to shop but will definitely check out the store's website.

Reviewed 13 November 2015

I always stop here when in town to treat myself. They have beautiful pieces of jewelry obviously carefully chosen. Informative and friendly. Everything is quality. Not your average tourist shop in Old Town. Will be back.

1  Thank Ellen P
Reviewed 12 November 2014

This is not exactly your typical tourist shop in Old Town, even though they carry the obligatory pottery, jewelry, and blankets. The quality here is better than most. The pottery is almost entirely Mata Ortiz (Casas Grandes) pottery, not pueblo pottery as most of the shops here sell. It's fairly high quality too, as is the jewelry. I'm not knowledgeable enough on their other items to judge their quality, but they don't sell junk here. Unfortunately, the prices are also not typical of the Old Town tourist shops. In this case, you get what you pay for, or at least you pay for what you get. There are no bargains here, but if you're looking for a nice Mata pot or a special piece of jewelry, check it out. It's only a block or less from the square, but it's easy to miss as it's set back in a little plaza.

2  Thank TJG214
Reviewed 5 October 2014

While I do not know anything about the jewelry, carved wooden pieces, or other objects they carry, I do know a little about Mata Ortiz pottery and potters. Tanner Chaney is the go to gallery for work by the artists of Mara Ortiz. They have excellent connections with the artists, outstanding knowledge regarding the historical and contemporary artists, an excellent and diverse collection of pots, and very reasonable prices. They are friendly, thorough, and a real pleasure to visit. Based on my experience wih them and their Mata Ortiz offerings, I believe everything they offer is of the highest quality. And, when he comes in, their official greeter Charlie, is one of the friendliest greeters I have met - particularly if you are generous with the head and neck scratching. All in all, I highly recommend theTanner Chaney gallery.

1  Thank bicwood