“A Cut Above”

Tanner Chaney Galleries
Ranked #16 of 104 Shopping in Albuquerque
Reviewed 12 November 2014

This is not exactly your typical tourist shop in Old Town, even though they carry the obligatory pottery, jewelry, and blankets. The quality here is better than most. The pottery is almost entirely Mata Ortiz (Casas Grandes) pottery, not pueblo pottery as most of the shops here sell. It's fairly high quality too, as is the jewelry. I'm not knowledgeable enough on their other items to judge their quality, but they don't sell junk here. Unfortunately, the prices are also not typical of the Old Town tourist shops. In this case, you get what you pay for, or at least you pay for what you get. There are no bargains here, but if you're looking for a nice Mata pot or a special piece of jewelry, check it out. It's only a block or less from the square, but it's easy to miss as it's set back in a little plaza.

2  Thank TJG214

Reviewed 5 October 2014

While I do not know anything about the jewelry, carved wooden pieces, or other objects they carry, I do know a little about Mata Ortiz pottery and potters. Tanner Chaney is the go to gallery for work by the artists of Mara Ortiz. They have excellent connections with the artists, outstanding knowledge regarding the historical and contemporary artists, an excellent and diverse collection of pots, and very reasonable prices. They are friendly, thorough, and a real pleasure to visit. Based on my experience wih them and their Mata Ortiz offerings, I believe everything they offer is of the highest quality. And, when he comes in, their official greeter Charlie, is one of the friendliest greeters I have met - particularly if you are generous with the head and neck scratching. All in all, I highly recommend theTanner Chaney gallery.

1  Thank bicwood
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We purchased a beautiful red wool rug that was handmade in Mexico by the Zapotec Indians. The added bonus was the rug was on sale, so we receivied 20% off the price. Our sales person, Chuck, was very knowledgeable about the history and care of the rugs. Great selection.

1  Thank EVFK
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Over the past several years, on my annual trip to ABQ, I have purchased several pieces of jewelry. Whether it's a ring, bracelet, earrings, or a necklace, I've always found something to my liking. The staff is friendly and professional and always eager to help.

1  Thank On_the_porch
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We have been buying from this shop for 15 years. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and extremely helpful. One must be very careful with Native American jewelry since the stones vary in quality and type. For instance, turquoise can be natural, stabilized, Southwestern, Chinese, etc. Where the stone comes from and whether it has been altered (or even plastic) all are important. We trust the staff here. Tom buys stones and jobs them out to some of our finest lNative American artists. They stand behind any of their products. I bought a fetish necklace a while back and a tail broke off one of the animals. They replaced the necklace for free. Twice, because I didn't like the first replacement!

Because of their unique connection with the village, their Mata Ortiz pottery is the best in the state. We're collectors and can always find an great emerging artist tucked in with some of the finest known artists from the region.

They also carry a fine collection of Alebrijes (wooden carvings from Oaxaca), rugs (both Navajo & Zapotecan), exquisite gold jewelry, Pueblo pottery and unique pawn & estate jewelry.

3  Thank SWFoodie