“Good quick breakfast and excellent pasties”
Review of Flying Star Cafe

Flying Star Cafe
Ranked #7 of 83 Quick Bites in Albuquerque
Price range: USD 0 - USD 10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Nob Hill
Description: We created Flying Star because we needed fresh, tasty coffee served in a bottomless cup, comfy seats with casual, competent service that didn’t get in your face. Most of all, we wanted a place where dessert was first and the food was something you could really get your taste buds around. And, we needed it served from early in the morning to late at night on every day of the year except Thanksgiving and Christmas. It would be a place where we could go to be alone or have a good chance of running into friends. That was 1987 and we’re still cooking and baking 24 years later.
Reviewed 3 February 2018

Good, solid diner food (which is great) with many veggie options (which is amazing)!

Order at the counter as you go in, then sit down. This was the only hitch in my entire visit; there were no signs indicating whether it was counter or table service. Or maybe I just missed 'em. In any event, the staff was attentive, friendly, and quick, so there was no friction.

Had a basic breakfast: eggs over easy, toast, and home fries. The fresh-baked bread made excellent toast for mopping up the yolky goodness. My wife had the vegan migas and loved it.

The pastry case looked so good that I had dessert with breakfast: a peach jumble. I'd never had one of these before, but it was delicious. Imagine that peach cobbler, monkey bread, and a kouign amann had a baby together. With a drizzle of glaze. Yum!

1  Thank shawn404

Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

I ordered the sweet and spicy chicken Mac and cheese. It was more spicy than sweet but oh so good. I couldn't finish the large portion. All of the other food ordered at the table was fabulous as well and plentiful. Of course we had to try dessert. We tried the coconut cream pie all I can say is yummy. I look forward to visiting again.

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Unlike some other eateries I revisited in Albuquerque, the Flying Star stays the same: Good quality diner food, with healthy and vegetarian options and great desserts. They claim to be local, organic, handmade, real, and wholesome, and they truly are. Good place for a great stewpot turkey, sandwich, salad or burger followed by a coffee drink, beer or wine and definitely some dessert.

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

We are not often in Albuquerque but when we visit, we always have breakfast at one of the Flying Stars in the city. This time we had breakfast at the cafe in Central Avenue, which is also historic Route 66.

We had huevos rancheros which were very good, and a slice of walnut cheesecake. All very nice, although the cakes are not cheap, at about $7 per slice.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 22 December 2017

Had dinner here a few week ago with friends and was disappointed and reluctant to return in the near future. Hopefully, things will improve in 2018. Something seems to be missing and it would appear that the entire Flying Star restaurants group are experiencing some financial problems. I wish them good luck and hope this criticism is taken constructively!

Date of visit: December 2017