“Second Visit As Good As the First”
Review of Monterey Motel

Monterey Motel
Ranked #22 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I recently stayed at the Monterey Non-Smokers Motel for the second time in six months. This time, I brought along my mom and three kiddos (15, 13, 11), and we had Room #2, which was a very large and tidy space with two beds, a sleeper sofa, a mini-fridge, a table and chairs, and a nice-sized bathroom and closet. Everyone had plenty of room to spread out, and, as with my first visit, the owners couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. We'll definitely be going back to the Monterey again soon!

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are quieter, but we had a room up front and weren't at all bothered by str...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank OKCgirl

Reviewed 7 March 2012

I was one of the earliest reviewers of this motel almost five years ago, and the good news is that the Monterey is still a great and inexpensive place to stay. Same owners, same amenities, same clean rooms. I was with a group of 7 or 8 folks, many of whom had never heard of the place; those of us who had been there before tried not to say "I told you so" to the newbies who were so pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed for 5 nights-- the owner could not have been more welcoming or helpful. the room was clean and comfortable, and cleaned thoroughly every day. Although nobody bothered me, I was comforted by knowing that the owners keep a close eye on all that goes on-- since I was traveling alone, this was reassuring. There aren't a lot of bells and whistles like room service or workout rooms. All I wanted was comfort, and there was PLENTY of that. The great 50's sign and the vintage feel of the whole place was a bonus.

The location is steps from Old Town and is right on Route 66. There are plenty of restaurants nearby and a McD's across the street. Coffee in the room was perfect!

I loved this place, and will stay there again on my next trip!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back away from the street.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This motel is funky, old-fashioned & friendly. Driving up to the motel we felt as though we were caught in some sort of time warp. It definitely looks like something out the 1950s. Great neon sign outside greeted us when we pulled into the parking lot. The owner is very friendly & was proud of his former home town in Poland. He easily gave us dining recommendations within walking distance, in Old Town.

The room was spotlessly clean, even though the decor was a tad dated. The pool looked clean & inviting, but the weather was way too cold for us to even think of taking advantage of it. Would definitely stay there again if we find ourselves in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ortelius
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Monterey Motel is a very clean, quiet and cozy place to stay, just minutes from the heart of downtown Albuquerque. My wife and I were there a few nights, for the second time in two years. The motel is very up to date, but got its start in the 1940's. It takes me back to a time when I was younger and went down to the beach for summer vacations. The owners are always there for you to help with whatever sights you have in mind to see around town. Without a laptop, they helped me on line with flight ticket boarding passes (they did it for me)! They also loaned me an Albuquerque book to see what's local to check out, which was really nice of them. I think there are only 16 rooms, so you need to reserve a room in advance!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple