“Good but not great meal”
Review of Alice May

Alice May
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Franz Josef
Price range: USD 7 - USD 22
Cuisines: International, Healthy, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: As warm and welcoming, as a traditional English Carriage House. The white walls and exposed rafters are adorned with riding tack, farm tools and other historic artifacts. While the wooden floors, wagon wheel bar stools and open fireplace add to the warmth.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I was traveling alone and stopped in here for dinner. Had a chicken curry and it was good but not great. Sat outside on the heated patio. Lovely atmosphere. Service a bit spotty but perhaps eating alone might have had something to do with it.

1  Thank Dana A
Write a ReviewReviews (1,556)

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The place was very busy when I walked in. I had to wait for about 15min before getting a table. I do not mind waiting for a table and having a drink at the bar while waiting.
All the staff members were very friendly and polite although the place was full and they had a lot of work to do. They never made you feel unwanted or pressured you to free the table. The food was very good (had fish an chips) and I even got an extra portion of their tasty tartare sauce. Desserts looked very good too but I had no space for dessert.
I can only recommend going there it is worth the wait!

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

This place was recommended to us and we were glad we listened - friendly staff, tasty food and big portions. It's not cheap, but not many places are in NZ so comparable to other NZ restaurants we visited.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I had dinner here one night during my stay in Franz Josef. The staff were friendly and attemptive despite them being very busy. The food though tasty was quite sloppy and not very well presented. I would however not hesitate in eating here again.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

... picked a beaut place to dine, leaving the boisterous taverns to their St Patrick's Day celebrations!
A busy place, & with no reservation, we were welcomed, & happy to while away the time over drinks as kitchen was obviously busy busy.
Food was absolutely terrific, staff efficient & we summed up the night as "one of the best meals in a very long time!"

Date of visit: March 2018