“An experience I'll always remember!”
Review of Glide Omarama

Glide Omarama
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Omarama
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Soar like an Eagle through the Mountains! Trial Flights are 30 minutes, 1 hour or 2 hours long. For the Ultimate Experience you can fly for a whole day! No previous experience is required. For nearly 30 years, as well as Trial Flights, we have introduced thousands of new-comers and pilots from all over the world to the art of Mountain Soaring in exotic high performance sailplanes among the Southern Alps of New Zealand. It's a mind-blowing experience! Try our Learn to Fly courses and become a glider pilot!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I spotted their sign on the side of the road as I was making my way to Queenstown. I thought, "What is this?" I stopped in and ask some questions. Everyone was very kind and friendly to me. I told them I had to be in Queenstown by a certain time. I ask if they had any availability right now. They said yes. SO...I went for it! Phil was my pilot. I spent 30 fantastic minutes in the air feeling like a bird. He let me control the glider as well, which was at times terrifying. I had some moments of "getting the hang of it" and man...was it awesome. The BEST part was when we did huge dive and loop in the air 3 TIMES!! That was the best part and I even got it on video. I came off that plane with a huge grin on my face. They gave me a certificate as well. I would recommend this place to anyone who is wanting another perspective on this beautiful country. The customer service was excellent and the memories will last a lifetime.

1  Thank Gabriel G
GavinWills, Owner at Glide Omarama, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

You say you came away from our glider flight feeling as if you had been flying like a bird. That's great! If we still had eagles in New Zealand (The huge Haast eagle died out with the decline of the Moa ground hugging birds more than 200 years ago.), then we could say that we at Glide Omarama soar like eagles through the mountains. This is something we love to do and best of all is to share this feeling with visitors to our beautiful country.

Thank you Gabriel.

"lakes"
"cockpit"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Breath taking experience! Staff were incredible and very attentive to my millions of questions. Couldn't have asked for a better pilot. All very confident in their jobs which makes the experience that much better! Favourite part was either the opportunity to take control of the glider or the thrill seeking flip in mid air.

Highly recommend this activity. A huge thumbs up!

1  Thank leianah2017
GavinWills, Owner at Glide Omarama, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Many thanks for your great review! Its great for our staff to know that they are appreciated! We all love to fly and to teach and show people around our extraordinary soaring environment. We are glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

My husband, Tim, and I both enjoyed our amazing glider sessions. We both had complete faith in our very experienced and skilled instructors (Phil and Sabrina) and were incredibly impressed by how hard they worked to achieve lift in very challenging glider conditions. We loved the experience! The views were great and we both learnt an enormous amount about the science of gliding.

In our innocence prior to booking, we had imagined that we would be hoisted up by a plane and just float gently down to the ground. Fortunately, we were given excellent pre-flight advice so were well prepared for the realities of the tight turns necessary to achieve height. I elected for an hour flight with the option of extending it whilst in the air (which I did) so I was delighted to have this flexibility. Tim and I were both thrilled to have the option to fly our gliders for a short time during our sessions.

Our grateful thanks to Phil and Sabrina for a fabulous afternoon - a highlight of our holiday in New Zealand.

1  Thank Kathy D
GavinWills, Owner at Glide Omarama, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Thank you Kathy D for the great revue. We pride ourselves on being "Cross-country" pilots which means we love to fly like eagles through the mountains and around or above the clouds. And we love to take guests with us in order to share our extraordinary landscapes and clouds-capes with others. Omarama is one of the very best places in the world to soar gliders in the mountains. This is why the experience we offer is unique. Whats more we let you try it out so you can also learn to soar like an eagle as well as experience it!

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

The staff is very accommodating and stayed over past closing to take Jenn for an hour flight. This location is supposed to be one of the best in the world for gliding. Jenn loved it. Give it a shot!!!

1  Thank MANSIONMAN
GavinWills, Owner at Glide Omarama, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Thank you! Its always worth staying open to give someone the experience of soaring like an eagle through the mountains for an hour! Evening flights are often the most beautiful.