“High Tea experience ”

Chateau Tongariro Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Whakapapa
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Having arrived we were seated in a side room from the main lounge. Our table was in front of a lovely arched window with beautiful views of the mountains.
Our orders were taken from an extensive tea menu- Coffee is slso available. Our high tea selection arrived. Great selection of both savoury & sweet. Took us an hour to work our way through.
Pluses- the nostalgic decor, the selections.
Pianist and waiter/waitress attentive.

Minuses- The wobbly table and wobbly plate our high tea selections were on,
Rather grubby windows heavy with cobwebs.
Some of sandwiches had definitely been made much earlier in the day ,bread was a little hard.
We also didnt get the entire selection as stated on the menu.
Definitely value for money though, we had a lovely afternoon.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Travelled there today too do high tea after ppl saying it was amazing. The info centre recommended it as well. When we got there they sd it's closed for a private function n you can use the high tea.
Very dissapionted as this place was a must do we were told.
Surely they didn't need the whole place
I must say the little cafe on the side of building was great n got a amazing photo of the snow capped mountains

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2017

From arrival to leaving the experience was fantastic. The weather turned it on for us and the snowy mountain views were spectacular. Restaurant food was very nice and served in edible portions for us.
The only two let downs - no Barista coffee - we feel this could have been available from early am in the lounge - Equipment was there. Given all other places in town were closed until 11am unless you went up mountain. The service for drinks in the lounge pre dinner was also very very slow. The wait staff were friendly to the point where they could be seen having long conversations with patrons instead of serving people waiting. That said you could go to bar yourself as we did in the end. Overall experience not put off because of this.

Room Tip: Our room at top floor was nice and although we didn't look up at Ruapehu we could see Tongariro...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2017

After reading the reviews I was nothing if not hesitant about staying here. I had read that it was run down, disappointing etc. I was blown away! Even before I stayed there I had emailed them quite a lot as I had not been there before or in the area. They were super helpful from the get go. When I arrived, I was greeted warmly and by my name. The room exceeded expectation - it was clean, well furnished and frankly rather posh. I made sure I used all of the facilities, including the movie theatre, pool (which after a long day of skiing is a blessing), sauna and utilised the cafe and the restaurant. I also recommend sitting in the lounge area in front of the fire sipping a cocktail. All staff were helpful and attentive and well worth the money I paid to stay here. Would I stay here again? Heck yes! I would not have to be asked again. Plus it was so easy to organise to be picked up from the bus depot and I just paid on the last day. From start to the finish - I was well taken care of. My only problem is that the sound proofing is not so good - you could hear doors slamming and there were kids running up and down the hallways at a late hour but the duty manager fixed that up and it was more a problem of the parents not keeping on eye on their children rather than the faulty with the Chateau.

Again, I would stay here in a heartbeat. Glad I didn't read too many of the 'bad' reviews. Don't believe them!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2017

I was very disappointed to see this hotel in such a deplorable state. Run down in almost all aspects that make a hotel great, except for the location and the view. One can feel that the owners do not care much about maintenance, house keeping, cleanliness, food choices and many more. Definately not worth the high room rates they are asking for!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whakapapa
0.4 km away
12.4 km away
Plateau Lodge
Plateau Lodge
#1 of 9 in National Park Village

Been to Chateau Tongariro Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Chateau Tongariro Hotel

Address: State Highway 48, Whakapapa, Tongariro National Park 3951, New Zealand (Formerly Bayview Chateau Tongariro)
Region: New Zealand > North Island > Manawatu-Wanganui Region > Tongariro National Park > Whakapapa
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Whakapapa
Price Range: AU$118 - AU$240 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Chateau Tongariro Hotel 4*
Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park