We recently spent a night at this hotel, something we have been looking forward to doing. Booking in was seamless, but the rooms in the heritage wing are looking very tired, especially the bathrooms, which are more 70's than heritage.
Ground floor areas are comfortable with lots of seating, lovely warm fires add to the overall ambiance. The meal we had in the bar area was very good, reasonably priced and we noted lots of people were having afternoon teas in front of the fire, keeping warm on a miserable cold wet day.
Staff were all very helpful, attentive with lots of smiles. There is plenty of parking, but far enough away from the hotel for you to get very wet in bad weather. There is a drive up to the front door, but there was a queue of traffic there and people had to park and walk up, not ideal.
Breakfast was disappointing. Buffet style, but tinned tomatoes are not the best option in a big hotel, and eggs were scrambled or scrambled. There was a coffee machine, but barista coffees were charged extra at full cafe prices and not included in the breakfast cost.
We did note that there was a movie theatre with films on all day, entry by room key, so good for youngsters. There is a gym and sauna but these were not tried.
All in all an average experience. Perhaps my expectations were high, but as there is little else around, I expected more from such a famous hotel. The Chateau could be amazing once more, but it needs a lot of money throwing at it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wotif.com, Odigeo, Expedia APAC, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Cancelon and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park