All reviews room was large the kitchen on arrival brian comfort hosts
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had a very nice stay at this beatiful accommodation in December '13! The cordial and generous host really made us feel welcome. Comfortable, spacious rooms and terrace breakfast with unforgetable views!

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was an excellent place to stay, we arrived on short notice. Stunning quiet location.
Enjoyed extensive options for breakfast on the terrace with another couple who also stayed.
Our room was peaceful clean with a large lounge joining very reasonably priced. Short distance to Warkworth. Would come back again.

Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thankyou for your kind words. Its a pleasure having so many nice people to share this beautiful place with. Your most welcome to come again.

Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

This would have to be the best value accomodation on the Kowhai Coast.
Stunning quiet rural location, yet so close to Warkworth, friendly knowledgable host, reasonably priced, clean, private & well appointed suite.
Extensive options for breakfast enjoyed on the terrace loggia watching the steers graze, so peaceful & relaxing.
Self catering accomodation available in the barn would be great for a family or a group, I was traveling by myself & stayed in the lodge room with the bath. Great to luxuriate in after a days excursions.
Having pre-booked dinner for my arrival I enjoyed an extensive cheese board, fresh snapper caught that morning by Brian the host & a berry dessert.
A very pleasant & enjoyable stay I plan to repeat, it left me refreshed & invigorated after 3 nights but not long enough to explore the delights of the Kowhai Coast.

Date of stay: December 2013
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for your kind words. I look forward to you coming again. Brian

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We enjoyed the impressive and spacious accommodation in a beautiful rural setting a few kilometres out of Warkworth. The guest suite was spacious, and there was a very comfortable lounge and kitchenette.

Having read on Trip Advisor that the owner provided evening meals on request, we e-mailed a couple of days before we were due to arrive to ask for a meal. We did not get a reply, so assumed we would be able to have a meal when we arrived. Stuck in the notorious Warkworth traffic jam we phoned to say we would be late only to be told by the owner that he was going out for a picnic and he could not serve an evening meal. He would however leave us some fish in the fridge. Finally out of the traffic jam we let ourselves in, found the fish and micro-waved it. Later we managed to find the wi-fi code, and discovered that the owner had e-mailed an hour or so earlier, while we were on the road and could not receive the message, to say he was going out. He had not returned when we went to bed in a very unhappy mood.
When we went for breakfast about 8 we met Dianna, the maid, who told us the owner had gone off to play golf! We never met him yet! Dianna was helpfulness itself, and served us a delicious breakfast on the terrace which helped to restore our morale (the toasted bread was better than most bread we've tasted in NZ, and the fruit compote was absolutely delicious).

Dianna saved the day and upped this review by a grade or two - without her efforts the poor communications and poor evening hospitality would have meant a poor review. With proper communications it could have been excellent.

Date of stay: January 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bob W
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

I am terribly sorry for the confusion. I certainly received your email requesting meals. Due to my wife having passed away a few months ago I had arranged for Deanna to come in and prepare dinner for you as I had a family function to attend that evening. However all meals are prepared fresh to the clients requests and I delayed my departure till after 6.00 p.m. by which time it was getting too difficult for me to coordinate meal arrangements and so I offerred you fresh fish and full use of the Lodge kitchen at no charge. Had you been able to arrive earlier things would have fallen into place but alas this was not to be.

Deanna also prepared a complimentary snack for you to take with you the following day.

As compensation for your being inconvenienced I would like to offer a second night free voucher for you to use or give to a friend of your choosing. (Or two nights for the price of one)

I am sure I can manage better outcome for you next time.

Brian Edwards

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is an excellent Bed & Breakfast, very inviting and offering a lot of information about the area and places to visit. And exiting things to do together with Brian. We went with him for fishing our own fish and that was really excellent prepared and served the day after.
An exiting experience, fishing on the Great Ocean!

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Thankyou so much for enjoying your stay at my place.
It was a pleasure seeing you catch your first fish ever in the beautiful bountiful waters of Kawau bay. Best wishes for future holidays wherever they may take you.