See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 January 2018

To be fair, this place is on the market and we were lured in by the $99 per night special. Quite dead and reception closed at 8 but you were able to walk the very quiet, very wide corridors and scare yourself silly. I think there is a business opportunity available there for a niche market. Brian Boru eat your heart out! Minimal amount of WiFi but I depend on data anyway. Easy walk to some pretty cute eateries and liquid refreshment places since there was no great enthusiasm to open the bar. Since I had my stash of G&T from the bottle shop in Russell I was good to go. The fan in the room was very much appreciated to keep the mozzies at bay. Great place to stop on your journey for an overnight break, just don't expect modern hotel facilites. I really hope someone can take this place on and make a go of it, it's huuuuge and reeks of glamour in a bygone era.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2018 via mobile

Had a good night's sleep at The Northerner after a long motorcycle ride up from the West coast.
The helpful staff allowed us to store the bike safely inside the building.
Memorable decor. Great spot to stay before heading to the top of new Zealand.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2017

Yes the decor is dated, but it is still a lovely place to stay. The staff were lovely, the room was clean and comfy. The water pressure in the shower was awesome. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well.

Only down side was the television channel options were a bit limited, but still watchable.

(2nd time we have stayed there)

Room tip: We chose the premier room
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2017

Here with ToNZ so not chosen ourselves and no idea what it cost as we paid for a package. Wow this place still thinks it's 1972 or thereabouts.

Furnishings look original. Carpet so faded by window it's probably also original. They have however added a telephone and the cable plugs into the wall just where the pillow is for one side of the bed. No I am not joking. We had to move the bed so that it didn't stick into my head/back while in bed.

No hairdryer supplied.

Definitely wouldn't come here by choice.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

Even you open the door and window before sleep to let the smell go away, they will still come back at night when you sleep. And the smell will leave on your clothing. If I had another choice, I would definitely go to other places
One star is for the receptionist, they are kind.

Date of stay: January 2017