Leo Palace Resort
USD 68*
USD 59*
USD 88*
USD 83*
Days Inn Guam-Tamuning(Tamuning)(Great Value!)
USD 88*
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
All reviewstumon baysecurity staffcompoundproscons
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Wife,baby and I decided to stay at resort simply because we heard great things about golf course. She said this would be a great gift for myself. My wife is originally from Guam...now living in California. They gave us local rate of approx. $7 off from visitors' rates. The rooms had marking all over the walls, the comforter had stains, and the carpet looked terrible. Had dinner at their LAGO restaurant and to describe the experience from their eatery in just 1 word...HORRIBLE! The restaurant was nearly empty, and so the staff went on to treat the patrons as though the restaurant was empty. Food was terrible, service was worse. After bringing our meals, no one from the wait staff approached our table for another 35 mins, and that was only because i called somone over to us. Another unfortunate patron had to raise his hand for nearly 6 mins before someone approached his table. The evening did get slightly better once we ran out of the restaurant and continued on to their bowling alley...by far the best event of the evening. We then continued on to play a bit of table tennis where i unfortunately left behind my nikkon sl-3000 on one of the ping-pong tables. Not realizing it till the next morning, i immediately ran to the front office and notified them of my mistake. They seemed to treat me as though they were being bothered. They simply said if it shows up, we'll notify you. I began calling other departments of the hotel later that morning to again feel as though i was nothing more than a nuisance. A manager was never called nor did one ever phone me after leaving the resort. I would never stay at this subpar resort ever again nor would i recommend this place to anyone. To top it off, i never got around to playing golf. They do not give discounts to the hotel guests, which made no sense to me. Oh yeah, one more thing. The golf course charges the locals $35 for a round of golf...$110 to the outsiders, regardless if you stay at the hotel or not. What a racket.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank atrain7
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Got a cheap deal on the Internet to stay here so despite its distance from the beach we gave it a try.
The resort hotel is located in the middle of the island so without a car you are stuck with a bus schedule to and from the resort. We rented a car and I recommed it if you plan on seeing Guam. I have to emphasize that the resort's location is extremely inconvenient to anything.
We arrived and were impressed with the grounds. Its a beautifully maintained exterior with golf course. The resort just opened a bowling alley.
The bad - the rooms are awful. What is striking is as you get closer to the buildings you can immediately see they are not in good condition. Looks old and out of maintenance. The halways are scratched and marked. The interior of the rooms smells like mold and mildew and our room book had mold on it as do the areas around the roon vents. My wife had an immediate reaction. I went to the front desk for a room chnage and they suggested spraying disinfectant to make it better. I refused. Saw two more rooms with the same results. Finally I paid to upgrade to the condo. That was a lot better and no longer any mold smell. The furniture there was soiled and dirty.
Overall - a bad room experience. Great for the grounds but I do not recommend spending any time here given its current room condition and distance from the sights.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank taisho01
Reviewed 19 December 2009

I stayed for over a month while on a business leisure trip. I would go back in a heartbeat and I would never stay anywhere else. Yes, they cater to the Japanese as does every hotel on the island. Japanese are the biggest tourists on the island. As far as safety, you can't beat it. 24 hour security and because of the remote location, you won't have any problems. The swimming pools were great, my kids used them everyday and made friends with the lifeguards. They were all very nice. The rooms were clean, well maintained and I didn't have one problem the whole stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Oh_Piggy
Reviewed 3 April 2009

The first impression that you get when you arrive at the Leo Palace is "Wow"......a lot of land, a lot of complexes and beautiful landscaping. BUT, once you get into the hotel (which is where we stayed), the front desk assumed that my husband spoke Japanese. All of Guam caters to Asian people (especially Japanese since it is a good place to take a vacation since its so close to Japan. Before arriving to the room which was located on the same floor as the lobby, I noticed that the carpet and walls were stained and marked up. Once arriving to the room, we arrived to an okay room. It was a very large room with a wonderful bathroom. The only problem was that the beds were very small (its between a twin and full in the US description of bed sizes) and hard!! Since we were travelling with small children and after two nights, I eventually moved the beds together to make a king size bed. The sheets were nice, but the comforter and other blanket were rough and very used. After a couple days, the ANTS (small) started showing up on the desk near the fridge. Who knows if they made it into our food in the fridge, but they were present every day after that. The bathroom was enjoyable since the shower and bathtub were enclosed as one space so the kids could take a bath without making a mess in the bathroom and get the floor wet. The breakfast buffet was okay, but again catered to Asian people (Asian food) and my son loved the bowling alley. It is very family friendly, but since I have standards (which I don't think are that high), I would not recommend this hotel because of the size and hardness of the bed and the ants. Guam caters to Asian people so don't expect to be treated as well as they are.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank AlaskaDolly
Reviewed 9 January 2007

We travelled to Guam for my father's wedding and stayed for a week (Mon to Fri). Our group consisted of mostly Chinese-speaking individuals (from HK), plus a few English-speaking individuals like myself (from Toronto). We specifically chose the Leopalace due to its marvelous chapel overlooking the pond/fountain area. A little bit disappointed, as we were expecting beaches and palm trees, and sandy goodness... but that's only because we didn't do our own research... not due to anything else about the resort.

Pros: GOLF... the course is amazing. Our suite overlooked the course and it was in great shape. Didn't get to play, but the price ($60 for guest) is incredible! The service staff is excellent and very attentive. The door staff, in particular, were great at giving recommendations for entertainment and restaurants in the city. There's a shuttle bus to the city every 1/2 hour or so. The resort provides you with a shuttle to/from the airport, and they are very punctual.

Cons: The resort is located way way WAY off the main roads, so you have to rely on the shuttle buses to get to/from the city. This is a bit of a pain if you want to stay out late, as the shuttles stop before midnight. There isn't much choice for food on the resort itself - if you're staying more than a weekend, you'll get sick of the limited choices there. The resort caters mostly to Japanese tourists - we're Chinese and half of our party didn't speak English. This sort of poses a problem as the resort staff spoke English, bits of Japanese, and bits of other languages. Also, our flight landed at 6AM and check-in wasn't until 2PM - if we hadn't planned a city tour ahead of time with GIT Tours (caters to mostly Chinese tourists), we would have been stuck waiting in the lobby for 8 hrs! And because the resort is located on the cliff - NO BEACHES! Be warned!

The rooms we stayed in were in building B, which were very nice... standard hotel room minus the carpeting (it was tiled - to be expected at any tropical resort due to humidity). The air conditioner was A+++, we couldn't have lived without it! Extra bonus - the free use of washer/dryer in our suite. It's just a short hike to the main building and pool areas, a nice building overall. Watch out for the cat that runs around the building- it tried to sneak into our room after us several times!

Also visited the bride and groom staying at a suite in the main building - wow!! What a difference. Suites are HUGE with high ceilings and plush carpets, walk-in closets, etc. I think the suites are more for honeymooners and well-off guests and the rooms in the outlying buildings are more for long-term stay guests or budget-minded guests. The luxury differences were pretty evident. But you get what you pay for!

The staff were very nice, we lodged one complaint about the breakfast buffet (found ants/spiders in three boxes of cereal) - the complaint was resolved within MINUTES. Manager at the lobby called down to the buffet, the buffet staff removed all boxes of cereal immediately. Apologies all around. No problems the next day. Very good service!

The pool area was nice and neat, the lifeguards were very friendly, clean water... very well maintained.

Ate at the cafe, the Japanese restaurant, and the golf club - all the food was done very well (esp the Japanese food). The food was slightly overpriced, but what can you expect from resorts? The food in the city is much better and more reasonably priced. However, it's inconvenient to wait for the shuttle (every 1/2 hour) to get you to town (another 1/2 hour drive), just to eat. Plan a whole day out if you go into town from the resort.

The wedding ceremony itself was beautifully done, the staff were WONDERFUL beyond words and everything was executed in a professional and graceful manner. The chapel is beautiful and the service was short and sweet. Pictures from the resort photographers were stunning, and the video we received was pretty well done as well (although you can tell it's very pre-packaged).

All in all, I would say that the Leopalace Resort definitely deserves its place of honour as the best resort in Guam. The only setback is the distance from the city, but the resort does its best to accomodate for that with lots of shuttles to and from the downtown area. If you're looking for a place to just shut yourself into a room and stay on the resort with peace and quiet, this is the place to go! If you're looking for something a little more centralized in town and close to shopping and beaches, look somewhere else in town. The best thing about this place was the staff - everyone was so outgoing and friendly! Once the staff found out we spoke fluent English, they went out of their way to speak with us (apparently, fluent English speakers at the resort is a rarity - hah!).

I would say a high 9 out of 10. Would love to go again!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank carrie416